Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problems after changing fuel lines
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Hello Vanoganarians,

I just completed replacing the fuel lines in my van and now I am having engine problems I did not expect. It starts fine and revs perfectly fine. When shifted into first gear it begins to backfire/frontfire (through the induction system) a few moments after moving forward. When shifted into second gear, the engine looses all power.

I replaced the fuel lines as well as replaced the injectors. I removed the air box and distributor cap to complete the install. These went back on as before.

Anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? It ran like a top prior to me "improving it."
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Did you pull the wires off the spark plugs or distributor cap.
Firing order is 1-4-3-2,

619 201 0310
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Pulled the cap. I checked all the wires and connections. No change.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Check the plug on the the injectors, and air flow meter, make sure they all click when you push them on

619 201 0310
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

OK, this part is making a loud buzzing noise and is connected to the induction system. What is it and is it supposed to buzz? I've never noticed the noise before

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, are the power window lights supposed to be on all times the key is on?

Great, starting to understand the joys of owning Vanagons.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

That the idle control valve, and it does buzz as the idle control module adjusts the valve back and forth.

Double-check fuel line routing from fuel pump to engine bay, and then the routing to the T fitting, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. Also make sure the electrical connectors to the throttle position sensor, air flow meter, and all your plug wires are seated properly.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Check the distributer vacuum hose that goes from the distributer to the intake manifold. I've knocked off this hose swapping fuel line causing a big vacuum leak.

Make sure the distributer cap is properly installed. Undo the clamps and see if it turns left or right. If it does it is not installed properly. There is a notch that must be lined up before putting on the clamps
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

check the AFM harness connector, make sure it's well connected to the AFM.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
check the AFM harness connector, make sure it's well connected to the AFM.

This, the harness tends to fall down and behind the intake. The connector on the sensor is on the backside where you don’t see it. Easy to miss when you reinstall the air filter housing. I’ve missed it more than once. Easy fix.
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Is this what is being referred as the AFM sensor?

I do not see a vacuum line coming from the distrubutor. I do see an unused spade connector. Is this supposed to be connected to something?
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Have you tested your fuel flow and pressure at the left injector rail? Take a run of 5/16" hose attach at the test port and check for fuel flow with the key in the on position and the AFM flap held open. Make sure flow looks good. I'd also check for good pressure while you're in there. You want around 30-40psi. Did you plug the injectors back in appropriately? Did you accidentally pinch an o-ring so that there's a small vac leak at one of the injector tips? Did one of the rubber stops on the injector body slip down or up, causing the injector to not seat flush in the intake?

Sounds to me like you have a fuel supply issue. If it starts and idles strong, and revs good under no load, it's not likely a spark issue. Unless you effed up your timing when putting the dizzy back in. Did you put the dizzy in backwards? Did you check your timing after reinstalling?

That spade on the dizzy is superfluous. A spare ground.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:
I do not see a vacuum line coming from the distributor. I do see an unused spade connector. Is this supposed to be connected to something?

Late-model vans don't use a vac advance, ergo no vacuum line. The spade connector is for metal suppression/ground rings, which late-model (89-91) vans also do not use. What they do use is a suppression/ground cap, which yours does not have. Just went through this a month ago with my '90: Ordered a cap at NAPA without having a part number with me (rare occasion), didn't open the box in the store, got it home, and... not the same; didn't even bother installing it after comparing it to the old one with the ground cap removed. They ordered based on their erroneous database. Ran down to Advance Auto, which had the proper cap in their store.

Not that that's what's wrong with your van, just an FYI.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

OK,
After a test drive I think it is fuel pressure related. A new filter is in the mail. Where is the test port and what is this flap? Is this a procedure in the Chiltons?
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:
OK,
After a test drive I think it is fuel pressure related. A new filter is in the mail. Where is the test port and what is this flap? Is this a procedure in the Chiltons?

Is the fuel filter you installed backwards? That would definitely do it. Super easy fix... I would recheck everything down there and make sure the hose isn't pinched or kinked at a 90+ degree bend somewhere. That would also give you the symptoms you describe.

When looking down at your engine from the access hatch, there's a 7mm bolt closing off the test port on your injector rail. Look at the injectors, see the rail connecting them both? Middle of that rail is the test port. Unscrew the bolt (careful not to drop or lose it!). Stick a piece of hose over the now open test port. Now, loosen the hose clamp on the s-boot connected to your AFM. Unlatch the air filter housing. Pull the air filter housing out of its locating holes so you can pull the whole unit away from the s-boot a little bit. Now, with the key in the on position, stick your finger into the AFM and you'll feel a flap. This is the flap that meters your intake air. Your fuel pump only runs when air is passing by this flap, so to simulate this condition, you push on the flap opening it and kicking the pump on. You'll need some container to catch the fuel that will pour out of the hose at the test port. Hold the flap open and watch the fuel flow. Same procedure applies when you have a pressure gauge attached to the port instead.

Before all of this, I would just recheck your hose routing and make sure there are no kinks or bends in the send or return lines. Your test port could show good flow at that rail, but still have a kink in the return that would limit flow under normal operation. Also check that your filter is properly oriented.

No idea if any of this is in any manual.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:

I do not see a vacuum line coming from the distrubutor. I do see an unused spade connector. Is this supposed to be connected to something?

Sorry Vaccum is from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

I don't see the test port you are talking about.....
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

DS1980 wrote:
I don't see the test port you are talking about.....

It is just to the left of the breather tower and has 3 fuel hoses coming out of it.

You can also see the vacuum hose going from the red fuel pressure regulator and connecting to a barb at the intake manifold.
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Ah, I opened that to relieve pressure before doing all this. I gotcha now.

I have a new fuel pump on the way as well.... So it looks like when the original pump went out, someone just added a second pump after the filter instead of replacing the factory pump. I'm going to bring it back to stock and then see what pressure I have at the test port.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

Two pumps mean it doubles the horsepower right?
DS1980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems after changing fuel lines Reply with quote

I can confirm this as untrue, although I'm starting to think of the van as not a slow vehicle, but rather a very fast 2 bedroom, 0 bath apartment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: