Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia Replicas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little Harry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swhitcomb wrote:
I think they're pretty cool. Fwiw, bug pans are narrower, not shorter. If you out Ghia pans on a bug chassis it it exactly the same as a Ghia.

See there it happened again, I was wrong. Everyone please take note Very Happy

Zack1978 wrote:
From my perspective vintage VW's are beyond being used for daily driver purposes. It would be best to have your car parked in a garage, and kept away from the elements on a daily basis. Zack

Uhhh...yeah...I disagree
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem w/a fiberglass Ghia replica.
It tells me two things:
1) Ghia's are still popular enough to warranty this high example of flattery.
2) Should increase the value of a "real" Ghia.

He is quite proud of their value tho Very Happy
Dave
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Harry wrote:

Dude, that's like, TWICE now!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volfandt wrote:
I don't have a problem w/a fiberglass Ghia replica.
It tells me two things:
1) Ghia's are still popular enough to warranty this high example of flattery.
2) Should increase the value of a "real" Ghia.

He is quite proud of their value tho Very Happy
Dave

I just want a Ghia I can drive though salt-filled slush and not worry about it taking 5 years off the life of the car!

Paul
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
Little Harry wrote:

I thought I was wrong once but I was Mistaken Shocked Shocked

Back on track, if the body was available as a kit to be assembled by the owner would be cool and save some cash.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greezy Joe wrote:
Altema wrote:
Little Harry wrote:

I thought I was wrong once but I was Mistaken Shocked Shocked

Back on track, if the body was available as a kit to be assembled by the owner would be cool and save some cash.

Well you have to be philosophical about this, not everyone can be perfect...see my signature for details. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making sure I understand this correctly - VW will send their lawyers after you if you use their logo in your company's merchandise or advertising, but won't if your company is making a replica of the entire vehicle?
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiberglass is a good material for bodywork. not as romantic as steel or aluminum, but it's still very good.

I had a 71 vert ghia that I loved quite a bit. but I lacked the funds and skills to remove the rust....

a chance came up to buy an intermeccanica speedster in daily driver status, sold the ghia and got the speedster.
the speedster fiberglass is strong enough to dent American metal truck body without damaging itself I know this from experience. so if the fiberglass work is done right it's very strong.

these days I have the skills to do this kind of metalwork, but I still like fiberglass too. still have the speedster and after daily driving it fore several years I'd say it's a great car if it's built right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^
Crankey, that makes me want a 550 replica with a Raby Type 4 Shocked Shocked That would be bad to the bone. But hey a fiberglass Ghia to race, yeeeeee-haaaaaa Very Happy
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
Little Harry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Just making sure I understand this correctly - VW will send their lawyers after you if you use their logo in your company's merchandise or advertising, but won't if your company is making a replica of the entire vehicle?

This is a very good question. I wonder if he obtained permission from VW? I wonder what it cost him if he did?

Zack1978 wrote:
From my perspective vintage VW's are beyond being used for daily driver purposes. It would be best to have your car parked in a garage, and kept away from the elements on a daily basis. Zack

Uhhh...yeah...I disagree
noslzzp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Harry wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

This is a very good question. I wonder if he obtained permission from VW? I wonder what it cost him if he did?

Maybe that explains the high price? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little Harry wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

i don't think it matters.... if they are not using the trademark, then all is good... if they went after him for producing parts(the body is considered a "part") then they would need to go after the other places producing bodyparts. they fight for their name and trademarks

GEX has. Just sayin
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there will ever come a day that someone produces a steel body shell for the Ghia. They're making them for 57 Chevys, 66 Mustangs, 69 Camaros, and 70 Challengers so why not the Ghia? Or Oval Beetles? Finding rust free cars is getting harder and harder, and for those who can't do the work themselves end up paying a restoration shop cubic dollars just to bring a rot bucket up to a solid shell.

Personally I prefer the solid "thunk" of closing a steel car door opposed to the hollow "fwap" of a fiberglass one.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from all copyright issues with the Volkswagen factory, and the purists' ethical objections Smile, I don't think that producing a quality full metal repro Karmann Ghia body would be a commercially viable plan. It's basically a very curvy, all welded, hand made car; that combination right there means huge $$$ to build.
Even for the cost of a full body restoration at a reputable shop (of course not including the paintwork), I doubt that someone can fabricate an exact and 100% convincing steel replica Karmann Ghia body (if he was ever allowed by the Volkswagen factory, which I also highly doubt) as a long term business.
I do admire the out of the box thinking Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider though is how far metal forming technology has come since the last ghia body was hammer welded together nearly 40 years ago. Why it's been nearly a decade since Jaguar came out with that hydroformed hood, with the contours that flowed seamlessly from the headlamps to the cowl. That was such an amazing feat that it was featured prominently in advertising for the car.

But you are true that any replica, steel or glass, is not the same as the real thing. I am very happy with my rotted 68 coupe that I paid $500 for, because I enjoy metal work. But I recently sold a 67 Camaro RS/SS that was so rotted you could stick your finger through the car anywhere for $6500 to someone who was going to spend another $12,000 for a new shell to "rebody" it, and in the end have a $60,000 numbers matching highly desirable car with an all new steel body. I don't see any VW ever reaching that level of insanity.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:
I don't see any VW ever reaching that level of insanity.

Give it time and the Ghia will be there...Split Window Beetles, Barndoor Buses and Deluxe Split Screen Buses are there already.

Once you see Gerson making panels for Lowlight Ghias you'll know we've arrived at the same scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
todd73ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's awesome. But it would be no more mechanically reliable than an original.
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
...Split Window Beetles, Barndoor Buses and Deluxe Split Screen Buses are there already.

True .. of course anyone who chooses to drive a bus is either a hippie or otherwise a little "off" in some fashion lol
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:

True .. of course anyone who chooses to drive a bus is either a hippie or otherwise a little "off" in some fashion lol

Thanks for that...I feel somewhat rehabilitated since I sold my 15 window bus. Laughing
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
cseay1 wrote:
I don't see any VW ever reaching that level of insanity.

Give it time and the Ghia will be there...Split Window Beetles, Barndoor Buses and Deluxe Split Screen Buses are there already.

Once you see Gerson making panels for Lowlight Ghias you'll know we've arrived at the same scenario.

I'm a firm beleiver that Karmann Ghias are under-priced compared to the rest of the market. Early 911, 912, 356 are all silly prices now, it's only the comparatively plentiful supply that's keeping Ghia prices down. Right hand drive cars are quite scarce now as most seem to have been scrapped over the years. So a kit-car Ghia will start to make more sense as time goes on.
Very noticeable in Europe that the endless supply of rot-free cars from the US seems to be drying up, and ones that are reaching the UK are commanding a lot higher prices than a couple of years ago. We're seeing standard cars in the UK being advertised for up to £20k already. (although that is the exception so far!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: