Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karmann Ghia Replicas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl4x4 wrote:

I'm a firm believer that Karmann Ghias are under-priced compared to the rest of the market.

...Very noticeable in Europe that the endless supply of rot-free cars from the US seems to be drying up, and ones that are reaching the UK are commanding a lot higher prices than a couple of years ago. We're seeing standard cars in the UK being advertised for up to £20k already. (although that is the exception so far!)

Under-priced? You bet they are...at least compared with the examples you quote...i.e. Porsches.

Ghias are coachbuilts, made by hand and my '58 one lady owner, rust-free, Italian design studio creation cost me $9k 5 years ago...crazy cheap!

That's not a signal for everyone to slap another couple of k on their Ghias when they put them in the Classifieds as the market sets the price but now is the time to buy a Ghia not to sell.

As for replicas to be a successful business the value of Ghias has to reach a point where they are out of the pocket of the average working man. Not only that they will also have to be seen not just as an enthusiast car but as, (and I hate to say it) a status symbol.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of the updated classics like the Eagle Jags etc. that restore the bodywork, but update the mechanicals to modern equipment.

A Ghia with modern coil over suspension, brakes, fuel injected engine, modern lighting etc. is a appealing proposition for a different sort of customer than a lot of us on here who lke getting dirt under our fingernails. Those sort of people probably won't mind if it's fibreglass or metal.
barney_rebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread deserves a bump.

As stated earlier by someone, the pans are a different shape. The pans on type 1 beetles, taper in gradually from rear to front. The Ghia's is more squared, with an aggresive tapering toward the front, and are 4" wider at the front.

I wonder if this guy knows he could really make some good money selling a complete front or rearend, as long as the stock metal parts would bolt right up, that is.

It would probably be too expensive though, unless he had a lot of demand.

I know I'm not the only one who's had to cut the whole front clip off that was beyond repair, and graft in a doner. This was in the early 90's, and it wasn't real easy to find donor ghias back then, and I'm sure even harder now.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I took a closer look at the video, and he does indeed use a beetle pan. The fiberglass body has extra material to compensate for the difference in width. I assume the extra could be cut off if you wanted to use an actual Ghia pan. In my case, I would want to use an aftermarket chassis that was made for a Ghia body, which means I'd have to adapt this glass one to it. Still have not heard back from the chassis makers yet, but that project would probably a few years away anyway...

I see where using a genuine pan would be an advantage though, as the car would be considered whatever year the chassis was, and would not need to meet regulations for a new car. That alone may be the killer for my project concept.

Paul
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
....I would want to use an aftermarket chassis that was made for a Ghia body, which means I'd have to adapt this glass one to it. Still have not heard back from the chassis makers yet...

Snag a Berrien Buggy Chasis, lengthen it, then widen the floor area. Bingo, chassis for your plastic Ghia! No telling, they might actually have a full length chassis...

http://fisherbuggies.com/buggies-and-frames/nostal...-joint-irs

I like the idea of a plastic Ghia. My dad has an early '69 'vert that is essentially rot and bondo (the way he bought it). Slap a plastic body on there, instant rust-free cruiser.

I can see where our brethren in the rust belt would take interest in the plati-Ghia.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark33563 wrote:
I can see where our brethren in the rust belt would take interest in the plati-Ghia.

And if we do a deluxe version, should we call it the plati-plus?

Laughing
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altema wrote:
should we call it the plati-plus?Laughing

We could, but it wouldn't be a protected species. Cool
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
Altema wrote:
should we call it the plati-plus?Laughing

We could, but it wouldn't be a protected species. Cool

From what I understand, the Karmann Ghia is already an endangered species:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
itjustbugsme2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Karmann Ghia Replicas Reply with quote

Really cool, interesting video. I was asking for comments on the fiberglass kits, panels etc. simply based on the "replacement" or "repair" that one may experience in the event of an accident - again we all know of the; what I will call "uni-body", no simple fender, rear or front replacement, little more difficult than repairing a Bug......so the fiberglass panels, especially the front "nose" to me was interesting....again thanks for the video, enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: