Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Corvair 5 speed conversion
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Corvair 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

http://www.corvairkid.com/5-speed.htm

Could this be applied to use in a VW? I know Corvairs spin the wrong way. Maybe flip the diff housing over?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Corvair 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
http://www.corvairkid.com/5-speed.htm

Could this be applied to use in a VW? I know Corvairs spin the wrong way. Maybe flip the diff housing over?

looks like nose cone size and shift rod position would also be a problem. Confused
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BDubVdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use a 911 trans? I found one on her for $425. It doesn't require much modification.
scottydub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a corvair in a van, with a stock vw transmission. It spins the opposite direction and even if you flip the pinion over, it will still eventually cause your tranny to wear out quicker.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off the subject but there used to be a kit that made the entire Corvair drivetrain almost a bolt-in to a VW chassis after cutting off the frame horns. I think it was called the Trans-Vair conversion or something like that and was offered by a company called OTTO Parts. They had a kit for Bay window busses too. I used to have some literature that showed the conversion but have no idea where it is now.
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a gentleman by the name of Harold Eggeman back in CA, who had an Otto kit in his Type 2. He used a 95 hp in the conversion, but anything up to even the 180 hp engines have been used. The torque from the Corvair powerplant made it actually enjoyable to drive, instead of flip flopping between gears all the time like with a VW four. I recall he said he tuned it to get decent mpg too, mid 20's or something like that.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Subarugears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can bolt a reversed Subaru 5 speed 2WD transmission right in to Type 1,2 and 3 VW's. If you want to retain the VW engine there's also an adaptor plate and flywheel available that bolts to type 1 and type 4 motors.

www.subarugears.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: