Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quarter window installation pop outs
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Since there isnt a sticky for quarter window installation with pop out windows, thought I would post the topic where people could add there experiences, heres mine to get it started. Smile

Started the quarter windows. Most of the original holes lined up with the new channel
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had to cut the lower channel at an angle to fit into the top channel in the corner. Did a cautious cut then finished with a file

Trial fit with the glass, shows he channel still needs to be moved in at some points

Tried to get the rubbers as snug against each other as possible to prevent water leaks

Left side finished

On the right side the lower channel also needed trimming near the pillar

On this side I left some excess rubber at the end of the channel to help fill the gap under the pillar

After adjusting the height of the scews so that the trim is not to tight against the body I used a block of wood to hammer her home

Hinge rubber on

Hinge rubber is very tight in the repro pillars, but I did manage to get them in after spraying every thing with WD40

Right side finished
Endopotential
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome post, and thanks for including such great pictures!

Now where the heck were you six months ago, when I was struggling to figure out how this all worked???

I found a bunch of old chalky caulking material between my channels and the body metal. Does anyone know if this came originally, or maybe was put there by a previous owner somewhere in the distant past?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endopotential wrote:

I found a bunch of old chalky caulking material between my channels and the body metal. Does anyone know if this came originally, or maybe was put there by a previous owner somewhere in the distant past?

It was probably the remains of some D-19 tape that VW and Karmann used for keeping out water. I get it from my local camping supply house (on a 20 ft roll). My T-34 Ghia had it in the corners under the trim, and at the bottom of the removable "B" post. The pop out windows are set up very similar to what you show (the difference is the lower winow seal and trim piece that goes across the bottom of the window opening).

I had to slightly trim my plastic hinge blocks, to get the window to work properly. But then Karmann used modified T-14 Ghia parts there too. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
hatchethairy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure this is a good thread to jump in on for some good instruction to see what I may or may not be doing wrong.

Getting the hinge block assembly and seal into the pillar is pretty tight. It seems like the glass should go further in the post, but just won't go any further. I believe my window seal trim is stuffed a little too tight, and could use some trimming to get things to seal properly. As is right now it won't close all the way, and doesn't even seem like it's close to doing so. Does any of that make any sense? Here's a couple pics to show how things are, hopefully something obvious shows that could be fixed easily.

I think it all boils down to the pillar blocks and seal not seating all the way, so I'm going to put some lube to it and see if it will all go in further.
gnparsons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: pop out window fit Reply with quote

The pop out windows on my '68 ghia are also not fitting correctly... The windows seem to be too long, even more out of place that what yours look like. I thought maybe a previous owner put wrong windows in from another year? Looking for a thread on this it is not clear if all pop-out ghia windows area the same size. Any help?
gnparsons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: pop out window fit Reply with quote

I am interested to hear if I can get mine to fit better by adjusting the fit inside the pillar. I am now replacing the windows after getting my car painted, and I can take apart to check the fit if that is the problem....
art_lessing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey can you post some more detail pictures of how the blue windlace is attached

....I have only found a couple on the intertube....
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

art_lessing wrote:

ha! I was wondering what that part was called. I've been looking under rubber kits with no luck.

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpjohns wrote:
art_lessing wrote:

ha! I was wondering what that part was called. I've been looking under rubber kits with no luck.

I didnt take detailed photos from the process and I couldn't take the quarter panel back off easily but hopefully you can get the idea from these photos.

First I laid the wind lace horizontal where it would sit under the pillar and trimmed off the pieces that would be seen beneath the pillar rubber to the rear quarter panel. Then still laying the wind lace horizontal and holding it in place with the quarter window pillar attached at the top only I swung it down over the wind lace until it was in its correct position bottom pillar rubber has to be held on the bottom of the pillar when swung into position. I didn't use any glue up to this point. Then installed the bottom pillar screws and tightened the top pillar screws.

I then glued the wind lace in position with contact adhesive to the bottom of where the quarter panel goes. You then need to trim around the holes that the quarter panel clips go in. I then drilled and put in a few wide head rivets to hold it in position. After the quarter panels go in the wind laces are pretty secure.

I then cut the wind lace at the bottom of quarter panel panel and glued it on the front of the rear seat panel down to the heater channel. The wind lace then needs some cuts in the material it to allow it to bend at the bottom of the door frame. There is a piece of metal that then is screwed in at the bottom of the door frame near the heater channel. Although a little rusty I managed to salvage and reuse the originals. I havent seen any after market ones for sale, but you could probably just cut some sheet metal and use. Hope this helps

Rich
art_lessing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great...I just rolled my own too..They look nice than the rest of the car...dangit I made a clean spot..now I gotta clean the whole thing....Thanks!
O2COOLED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endopotential wrote:

Now where the heck were you six months ago, when I was struggling to figure out how this all worked???

X2 on this. It's about a year ago on mine when I was struggling with all of these. Appreciate too the detail on the windlace. Did I get it right that you fabricated your own? I left it out on mine and looks unfinished.

"At my age time is too short to respond to people with short minds"

Current: '69 Ghia Coupe
VW History:'63 Bug;'70 Bug;'73 412;'83 Rabbit;'86 Golf;'76 Fat Chick; 67 Ghia Coupe; '70 Bug
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O2COOLED wrote:
Endopotential wrote:

X2 on this. It's about a year ago on mine when I was struggling with all of these. Appreciate too the detail on the windlace. Did I get it right that you fabricated your own? I left it out on mine and looks unfinished.

I bought mine. They are made from a rubber tube, roughly 3/8" in diameter and covered in leatherette material. There seems to be limited suppliers so I'm sure a lot of people have made their own.
vw donvieira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful work!!

Wow KG's are very challenging to put back together
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw donvieira wrote:
beautiful work!!

Wow KG's are very challenging to put back together

Not challenging... they just require grace and finesse. Anyone can slap a beetle together! Rolling Eyes

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
morrd1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

@Rich62ghia - did You use any glue to install quarter window seals and trim ?
I don't see any but just want to ask for sure Smile

Cheers!
Matt

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584324
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectGhia64
Rich62ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure from memory I used windscreen sealant between the body work and the first rubber I didn't use sealant between the rubber and the aluminium trim.

Cheers Rich
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

There is no need for adhesives or sealants anywhere in the quarter trims, however, it makes life easier to contact cement the flat rubber to the bottom of the alloy channels and let it sit over night, keeps them from moving around when you install them to the body..you can also pre-drill the holes through the rubber for the little screws..it's a finicky job to begin with so this method saved me a little trouble.
One thing I did learn is that it's important to have the pillars in place before anything, including the door rubber channels. you don't have to tighten the top screw all the way, but enough you can manipulate it while you're working..
It's not fun to get it in after. keep the 3 screws at the bottom started but not tightened either until you are satisfied with the fitment of the channels
brian_az1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Hi. I have a 72 ghia. I am haveing trouble putting the windshield trim in. Can you help?
brian_az1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

Hi. I have a 72 ghia. I am haveing trouble putting the windshield trim in. Can you help?
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Quarter window installation pop outs Reply with quote

I think that's a question for a different topic/thread. Lots of tutorials/threads on here if you do a little searching. It's my understanding that it can be much more difficult depending on what brand of weatherstripping you have, the "German Blocked" seals are better, though I'm not sure they're in production at the moment. Again...better in a different thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: