Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harley into VW
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
686 bus-boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Harley into VW Reply with quote

Has anyone used the rewaco engine adapter from a harley to vw transmission or fitted a harley motor in a vw? Any feedback appreciated.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya why for one. but i think the kit is more for some one building a trike. seen one in sturgis. still probably a dumb idea with the motor in the back with little air going to it? Confused in a bug the motor will burn up. unless you can modify a doghouse shroud to fit it somehow? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is neat: http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19257&highlight=evolyn

At least you will look "cool" when it overheats and dies on the side of the road. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meciscokid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! What a project. Hope his health holds out to see this to completion. Its nice to see he has family support too.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that i see what you are doing . it seems you can do it .but you need some kind of scoop or something to get air to the motor. or it will die. i worked on a guy's chopper before that had a big box i front of the motor for a stupid boom box and stuff. well the motor blew up from over heating. the thing needs a good air flow .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's always the Revolution motor, designed with Porsche's help too! Funny how these things sort of come full circle.
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
686 bus-boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies guys, i realise the air flow is an issues but im sure it can be overcome, im not worried about performance, thats not the reason for doing it, i think to see that symetrical v twin sitting there would be very cool, and the sound, well thats just a bonus! ive contacted rewaco regarding the kit and am awaiting a reply just to see exactly what you get in it. The revolution motor would be cool to use with its porsche pedigree but the twin cam b motor is the one to use because of its counterweighted crank design which reduces all the vibration.
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat concept....

Back in the day, HD used to make a nice chrome electric cooling fan that mounted on the left side and covered the space between the cyl's. It was thermostatically controlled and would move a good amount of air over the cyl's. Made mainly for dressers that did alot of parade type cruising.
Now it detracts from the awsome HD left side engien profile but it is one solution to get some air over those cooling fins.

Way back in the day I was crusing an old 77 shovelhead through some very serious big city stop & go and the engine heated up so much the pipes started glowing red up near the head. Once I got it out into open air it cooled off and suffered no damage. May not have turned out as well if I had sat in that bumper to bumper much longer tho Very Happy

Dave
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I think I saw my pistons going up and down mired in Daytona Bike Week traffic Shocked
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volfandt wrote:
Back in the day, HD used to make a nice chrome electric cooling fan that mounted on the left side and covered the space between the cyl's. It was thermostatically controlled and would move a good amount of air over the cyl's. Made mainly for dressers that did alot of parade type cruising.
Now it detracts from the awsome HD left side engien profile but it is one solution to get some air over those cooling fins.

Way back in the day I was crusing an old 77 shovelhead through some very serious big city stop & go and the engine heated up so much the pipes started glowing red up near the head. Once I got it out into open air it cooled off and suffered no damage. May not have turned out as well if I had sat in that bumper to bumper much longer tho Very Happy

That would be a good cooling solution, but he will also need to pull air into the compartment. Glad you didn't cook that 77! I've been in my share of traffic jams with the Ghia on hot days, but interestingly enough, they cool down when idling. My summer engine temperatures are usually around 170 degrees F when driving. Last summer I let the engine idle for about half an hour without moving on a hot day, and the engine temp dropped to 143.

Paul
Clayman340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley into VW Reply with quote

I contacted Rewaco USA looking for their patented adapter and they had no clue as to what I was asking for. I had to show proof from patent files that it was their own design. They said they would check their contacts in Germany. I never heard back from them. Still searching... A Harley V twin would look sick hanging off the back of my Tow'd.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley into VW Reply with quote

As I understand it.....the swap never did go over well and the production of the adapter parts ceased.....all quite a few years ago.

Every once and while you see a used adapter come up.

Link

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley into VW Reply with quote

That just looks badass! I have no idea how well it would work ignoring the obvious airflow problem. I know the Harley engines have a pretty long stroke, I have no idea about how much torque/hp they make.
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley into VW Reply with quote

That story of the Evo is sad. A six month project and 9 years later, it's still not done.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Harley into VW Reply with quote

That really is a sad story, even worse that at the end it is let down by a brand new engine constructed with design defects.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: