Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 67 Splitty Resto (Painting Phase!)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Frams Oil Filter is now installed.The engine is running on this picture. I checked everything and it was working property.

Dong

Hi, shouldn't the return oil go into the oil gallery to go to the bearings? If it goes this way, all that pressure is lost. You could ruin the bearings.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
DONGKG wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Frams Oil Filter is now installed.The engine is running on this picture. I checked everything and it was working property.

Dong

Hi, shouldn't the return oil go into the oil gallery to go to the bearings? If it goes this way, all that pressure is lost. You could ruin the bearings.

Good day. This Fram oil Filter, with its pinhole-like outlet, reasonably regulates the flow of the oil and the engine maintains the correct oil pressure. Hence, no starvation of supply of oil to the bearings. This has been used on Vintage Speed volkswagen engines (like the okrasa equipped vw engines), and 356 Porsche engines. I have been using this set-up on my 1965 vintage speed theme beetle with 1200cc. I have been driving it for a couple of years now and I have encountered no problems with it.

I have tested and driven the splitty bus too with that vintage Fram oil filter too and so far I runs okay and with no problem.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20

Last edited by DONGKG on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great friend! Very similar to what i hope my ex-panel 11 window will turn out like. Very inspirimg thread and thank you for sharing everything you did!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:
Looks great friend! Very similar to what i hope my ex-panel 11 window will turn out like. Very inspirimg thread and thank you for sharing everything you did!

Thanks so much! Its cool getting those wonderful comments too, buddy! I hope you see the progress of your splitty bus too.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know you are having fun with her still buddy!

Still one of my fav. threads on the samba, hope it goes on forever!! Smile About a regular guy who fixes up his bus and puts it to good use, what else can someone hope for in a VW?! I love it!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a 6-volt generator?
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
Good to know you are having fun with her still buddy!

Still one of my fav. threads on the samba, hope it goes on forever!! Smile About a regular guy who fixes up his bus and puts it to good use, what else can someone hope for in a VW?! I love it!

Thanks so much, buddy! The bus is a worn in progress, I am always looking for thing to do to make her a better splitty bus. My next plan is to install stock rims with that so-loved white-side-wall. Though my job kinda get much of my time plus the weekend is basically a family day.

Thanks again buddy for all your help!

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

Nope, buddy! It's a regular 12-volt generator. I have an alternator for a better electric supply; nevertheless, since I am an old-school guy that is more into vintage speed and old cal-look or rest-custom looks, the generator finishes the desired appeal.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
BarryL wrote:

It's a regular 12-volt generator.

Don't think I've ever seen that type wire plug on anything but 6-volt. Cool.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
BarryL wrote:

It's a regular 12-volt generator.

Don't think I've ever seen that type wire plug on anything but 6-volt. Cool.

I've checked the details of the generator and it is a 12-volt generator. The charging of the battery is perfect. I have no problem since I have used the slot. If I am not mistaken, this one came from a latter vw. Not really sure because it's not the original generator that came with the split.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 year only generator for vw. 1967 only...nice....
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjohnson67 wrote:

Wow, really? Well, in that case, I guess, I got lucky after all!

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
jjohnson67 wrote:

Thanks,

Dong

You should add it here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156606 I've never seen one in real life before.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
jjohnson67 wrote:

Thanks,

Dong

You should add it here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=156606 I've never seen one in real life before.
thanks buddy. I do a research on That one buddy. I checked that thread and it's full of useful information. Thanks
'67 Splitty Bus
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Splitty Resto (Painting Phase!) Reply with quote

Nice bus!

Just a few heads up:

1. You need to turn the axle boot seams so they point forward or rearward. Seam up will not allow for axle flexing and boots will tear themselves up all too soon.

2. Get the stock plastic spark plug clips. They will close up the holes in the shroud so less cooling air leaks out and keep the spark plug cables from rubbing against engine part and shorting out.

3. Thermostatic flaps would be a good thing to install sometime for quicker warm up and more even engine temp.

4. What is the crankshaft pulley diameter size you are using? Looks a little small and with the dog house cooling system it need a bigger pulley for more fan RPM. Cooling fan needs to be bigger also, if you are using the smaller 1500/1600 single port fan it will not cool enough. Next time you drop the engine it would be good to check fan inside width.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 67 Splitty Resto (Painting Phase!) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Nice bus!

Just a few heads up:

1. You need to turn the axle boot seams so they point forward or rearward. Seam up will not allow for axle flexing and boots will tear themselves up all too soon.

2. Get the stock plastic spark plug clips. They will close up the holes in the shroud so less cooling air leaks out and keep the spark plug cables from rubbing against engine part and shorting out.

3. Thermostatic flaps would be a good thing to install sometime for quicker warm up and more even engine temp.

4. What is the crankshaft pulley diameter size you are using? Looks a little small and with the dog house cooling system it need a bigger pulley for more fan RPM. Cooling fan needs to be bigger also, if you are using the smaller 1500/1600 single port fan it will not cool enough. Next time you drop the engine it would be good to check fan inside width.

Hi Eric&Barb:

Thanks for those pieces of advice, mate!

1. I will reposition the axle boots as per advice considering that it is but logical that the way I positioned the seams (pointing upward) will not promote any flexing of the boots as the seams will dramatically limits its upward and downward movements. Thanks!

2. In placing the spark plugs clips onto the fan shroud where they should be placed is also a very much accepted suggestions. It may be true that there are only a few holes left uncovered on the fan shroud but these uncovered holes will nevertheless contribute to the loss of that needed and precious cool air that protects the engine from possible pre-mature engine wear. Thanks!

3. Now, with respect to the Thermostatic flaps, I may not re-install these considering that the Philippines is a tropical country and the Thermostatic flaps, if not working properly, may cause the engine to overheat especially during summer time, which, eventually, may result to engine breakdown. IMO. Any inputs on this, I would be glad to hear from everyone! Thanks.

4. With respect to the crankshaft pulley diameter size, I haven't really measured its diameter whether its size is the same as the stock crankshaft pulley. Parenthetically, I will have it replaced in the event that the same is smaller than the stock crankshaft pulley. And if that aftermarket crankshaft pulley currently installed on my split bus is smaller in diameter compared to the stock crankshaft pulley, I guess I made the wrong decision in installing it as the fan spins slower that needed. However, I will measure it these weekend. I amy using a late dual port engine and it has the dog house style fan shroud. Hence, the cooling fan is the late model and it is bigger. Thanks.

I joint a Car show last Nov 2016, and I won two awards. I will post the pictures soon.

Again, thanks so much, buddy!

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Splitty Resto (Painting Phase!) Reply with quote

While there is always a chance of something failing, the flaps themselves never do if not worn out. The Mexican thermostat will fail in the closed position, while the German part fail into the open position. So the latter part is better!

As for being in a tropical country, the weather is still going to be below 160F (71C) minimum oil temp. Keeping the engine at a more constant temperature keeps the engine from constantly expanding and contracting loosening heads from cylinders, cylinders from engine case, etc., and causing oil leaks. Even the aluminum pistons are designed to swell up just so much as to fit just right in the cast iron cylinders. Engine lasts longer not only by being cooled, but by keeping it range of temperature it was designed to run in.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Splitty Resto (Painting Phase!) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
While there is always a chance of something failing, the flaps themselves never do if not worn out. The Mexican thermostat will fail in the closed position, while the German part fail into the open position. So the latter part is better!

As for being in a tropical country, the weather is still going to be below 160F (71C) minimum oil temp. Keeping the engine at a more constant temperature keeps the engine from constantly expanding and contracting loosening heads from cylinders, cylinders from engine case, etc., and causing oil leaks. Even the aluminum pistons are designed to swell up just so much as to fit just right in the cast iron cylinders. Engine lasts longer not only by being cooled, but by keeping it range of temperature it was designed to run in.

Eric&Barb:

Thanks for that advice, mate! I guess, I have to reconsider my position on the installation of the thermostat flaps. I can clearly see your point when you said that, and I quote:

" Engine lasts longer not only by being cooled, but by keeping it range of temperature it was designed to run in."

A well taken observation! Though, all aircooled Volkswagens that were marketed and sold in the Philippines during its heydays, the engine had no thermostat flaps and seeing a complete functioning thermostat flaps in the engine of a Volkswagen here in the Philippines is a rare sight! But, I can still look for the thermostat flaps here. And I need six (6) of these because I have six (6) Volkswagens in the garage!

Thanks,

DongKG
'67 Splitty Bus
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Splitty Resto (Painting Phase!) Reply with quote

I don't recall Eric&Barb *ever* giving bad tips.
True asset to the community.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 67 Splitty Resto (Painting Phase!) Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I don't recall Eric&Barb *ever* giving bad tips.
True asset to the community.

I know and all of the pieces of advise that Eric&Barb gave me are all worth it! Indeed, he is an asset to our community!
'67 Splitty Bus

Last edited by DONGKG on Wed May 10, 2017 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: