Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

I recently put in a 1967 bug FF trans in my 1965 bus My original clutch cable seems to long its adjusted all the way in so its giving me a soft clutch pedal do you know what size cable that i need? I guess it would make sense that it would need a modification maybe due to a smaller trans ? Thanks for any input
!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

The trans shouldn't be any smaller. A bus uses the same center section housing on swing axle buses. Is the cable arm standing straight up when at rest? Do you have a bowden tube installed?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

There is a bowden tube my cable is adjusted all the way and im not getting a hard clutgh still
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

tie a knot in the cable towards the pedal end. I've done it many times, works well!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

late clutch, early bearing?
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

Manfred58sc your a genius !!! that sounds like it will work!!Would you have any tips on lining up my shifter to the shift rod i have the bolts in it seems like the shift rod is not setting into the socket the pin seems it needs to be pushed all the way in so it sets into the slot on the other side ...Im doing this by myself maybe thats the problem also ..I tighten it down and the shifter seems to be going sideways and tight. Thanks for any input !!!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

You really need a helper, you lie underneath and watch the action while the helper moves the assembly left and right ( bolts installed but not tight). That takes the guess work out of the procedure.

Good luck with your project
calsurfnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

I believe the bowden tube is not on would that give me more adjustment on the wing nut?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

You should have some sort of a Bowden tube or the cable will rub and wear on the metal tube. Once its installed it will reduce the length a bit.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

The hook at the pedal shaft is a wear item, I have seen those very badly worn out, and broken. Add a poorly fit bowden tube and that may be the issue.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch cable to long with my new 1967 FF trans modification Reply with quote

calsurfnative wrote:
I believe the bowden tube is not on would that give me more adjustment on the wing nut?

You have to have the bowden tube on and sometimes even an additional washer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: