Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 60K10/Porsche type 64/Berlin-Rome Wagen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Axel Andersson wrote:
Good idea, maybe we could post some "new" pics on these fantastic cars and the replicas being built?

Here is one from the time:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone have any detailed info on this?

According several short information from German internet and Chris Barber: The first Type 64 was given to Bodo Lafferenz, leader of the organisation KDF and also one of the chairman of the new Volkswagenwerk GmbH. He sat on the steering wheel of his car when he possibly overlooked the narrow-gauge rail (see in background) crossing the not finished Reichsautobahn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Axel Andersson wrote:
Good idea, maybe we could post some "new" pics on these fantastic cars and the replicas being built?

Here is one from the time:

Anyone have any detailed info on this?

According several short information from German internet and Chris Barber: The first Type 64 was given to Bodo Lafferenz, leader of the organisation KDF and also one of the chairman of the new Volkswagenwerk GmbH. He sat on the steering wheel of his car when he possibly overlooked the narrow-gauge rail (see in background) crossing the not finished Reichsautobahn.

The other car in the background is car VW38/16 a sunroof model that was featured in many photos and even a short film. It belonged to Dr. Bodo Lafferentz executive secretary of Volkswagenwerk (formerly the “Gezuvor”). Car 16 had a supercharged engine fitted. It appears the two cars VW38/16 and the Type 64 were involved in a street race in the early months of 1940, I think. They both crashed. From what I have read Lafferenz was driving the Beetle so who was behind the wheel if the Type 64?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

wasn't it a race between Bodo Lafferenz and Robert Ley?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

It could be. I remember reading somewhere about this. I would not be surprised that Ley was trying to show off in the Race Car while Lafferenz wanted to prove his Beetle was not anything less. The boys and their toys!
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Here is one of three Type 64 Berlin Rome Wagen involved in another accident.
Note different single horn grille design and most likely single wiper, compared to the photo with the Beetle accident, twin horn grilles and twin 90 degrees wiper arms. This one also have a radio antenna.

Anyone having more info?
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Those Type 64 sure were accident prone. Oncoming traffic in the traditional sleds of the era may have thought here comes a UFO on wheels.
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Those Type 64 sure were accident prone. Oncoming traffic in the traditional sleds of the era may have thought here comes a UFO on wheels.

Yes, I agree, it must have been close to an UFO observation at that time.
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Is this the Type 64 car that later was owned by Otto Mathé?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

I was just reading an article today about Porsche at Zell am See in 1945 (by Keith Seume) which says that the liberating US soldiers took the second type 64 and raced it on the nearby gliding school airfield, cut the roof off it and eventually seized the engine. the car was then abandoned and scrapped. Crying or Very sad

I was wondering if any photos of this exist and have surfaced in the US?
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

finster I have also always wondered if any of the US soldiers in Zell am See in 1945 took pictures of the type 64 (without its roof... Sad ) or if there are still any people around who can still recall any stories on the car from that time. I started this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396133&postdays=0&postorde many years ago and on page 2 MDog, who is most probably a prankster, said:

MDog wrote:
My Father (dead 20 years) use to tell a story about a cache of porches found during the war. Claims that one of them looked like a early prototype of the James Dean Spyder. He said the top was cut off of it and was used to joy ride the area. He was in Headquarters Company, Second Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne.

MD

Unfortunately this was the only post ever from MDog..... So close... Wink
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

we'll just have to wait until Blue Baron finds the photos! but at least it seems the car wasn't totally scrapped and parts from it were used by Mathe
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Axel Andersson wrote:

Is this the Type 64 car that later was owned by Otto Mathé?

This is car no 38/43. It was repaired several times, survived the war and sent to italy for restoration in 1947. Then Ferry sold it to Mathé in 1949.

Clues to the identity: Twin grilles, Curved windshield edges. The single grille on the car today was fitted in Italy in 47.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Axel Andersson wrote:

Here is one of three Type 64 Berlin Rome Wagen involved in another accident.
Note different single horn grille design and most likely single wiper, compared to the photo with the Beetle accident, twin horn grilles and twin 90 degrees wiper arms. This one also have a radio antenna.

Anyone having more info?

This is car no 38/42. The black beauty, which was wrecked by GIs in Gmünd 1945. Resurrected for the Prototype museum in Hamburg in 2011.

Clues: Curved windshields, one long and flat grille, black.

Last edited by allsidius on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbaptist wrote:

Is this the first or the second car build?

This is the first car built, Chassis no 38/41. This car was wrecked within the first year. There is some discussion if the chassis was restamped 38/43, but I don't know. This car was silver all the time.

Cues: Flat windscreens, heavy chrome window frames, double grille, "droopy" rear side windows, ie. the bottom of the rear window is not in line with the bottom of the door window.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

finster wrote:
we'll just have to wait until Blue Baron finds the photos! but at least it seems the car wasn't totally scrapped and parts from it were used by Mathe

I checked my files, and this was the only new photo of the car I could find. Apparently they crashed the
60 K10 through a storefront window in the Bavarian Alps.

I agree. These cars were accident prone.

Heinz Nordhoff
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Thank you allsidius for detailed info, it is appreciated.
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

Here is another pic of the 38/43 Mathé car.
Note the double wiper arrangement.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

MDKG wrote:
finster I have also always wondered if any of the US soldiers in Zell am See in 1945 took pictures of the type 64 (without its roof... Sad ) or if there are still any people around who can still recall any stories on the car from that time. I started this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396133&postdays=0&postorde many years ago and on page 2 MDog, who is most probably a prankster, said:

MDog wrote:
My Father (dead 20 years) use to tell a story about a cache of porches found during the war. Claims that one of them looked like a early prototype of the James Dean Spyder. He said the top was cut off of it and was used to joy ride the area. He was in Headquarters Company, Second Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne.

MD

Haha,

I see what you did here you cheeky monkey. Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

hmmm, think I need to look closely at blue barons photos in future - they might be fake Shocked
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW 60K10/Porsche type 64 - Pictures Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
MDKG wrote:

MDog wrote:

MD

Haha,

I see what you did here you cheeky monkey. Wink Laughing

Jason, I am not sure but I believe you are implying I created the MDog profile and made the post myself. That is not the case and would be a silly and disrespectfull move that would not help my search for more information on these cars. I can understand the thought though especially when you see MDKG and MDog above each other in one post but you have to trust me on this Smile. I love the mistery around these cars and finding out little puzzle pieces through the internet and sites like The Samba and it is sad that a lot of stories will soon be gone forever with the last survivors of WWII passing away. Do let me know if I am wrong and your remark should be interpreted differently.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: