Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear heater outlets
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
52crotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Rear heater outlets Reply with quote

Can someone with original carpet tell me if the rear heater outlets (under rear seat) are covered with carpet or does the original carpet not extend that far under the seat? My carpet from WCCR extends past the holes but has no opening for them. A pic would be great
63 sunroof
63 356B
and more
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my car. Very original Crotch Cooler car that was for sale a couple of years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
52crotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chris, that tells the story!
Mike
63 sunroof
63 356B
and more
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater outlets Reply with quote

This is an old thread, but I found it when looking for information on the heating design of split window VWs. I have been driving my '50 quite a bit this week-its been in the 30s here but dry out this week. I noticed that there is no detectable air coming out of the front heater outlets or the defroster vents, but could feel that the area under the back seat was warm. I discovered holes in the heater channel ( I realize early cars did not have a separate tube) that were partially covered by carpet. I assume there is no way to regulate the front/rear distribution as there was on later cars. Did split windows ever have decent heat at the front outlets? It seems the rear area produces a fair amount, so I trying to determine if I should properly expose these and perhaps add a small flexible tube to direct this heat just past the rear seat, or to block them off to force more air up front. Don't worry, whatever I do will be completely removable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater outlets Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:
Did split windows ever have decent heat at the front outlets?

Hardly. My '51 was 100% stock with all original components in good condition. Engine tins all original and sealing nicely...still, the heat was abysmal. To get any sort of defrost I covered the outlets under the rear seat. This helped a little, and one could also cover the vents in the footwell.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear heater outlets Reply with quote

@sled, thank you for the info. I am going to try a few things to see if I can get a little improvement-I am not driving this in brutal weather by any means, but I think that by either blocking off the rear foot well holes or by running small flexible tube from them, it might help a little. Truthfully, while it does not offer "palm beach weather" as Tom McCahill wrote, it wasn't too bad inside once I pulled the carpet out of the way of the rear outlets (it wasn't sealed tightly enough to force any air up front, but was covering it enough to keep the air from coming out of them with any real force). It's been unseasonably warm here the past week or so (mid to high 30s).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: