Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digging up info on my bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Digging up info on my bus Reply with quote

I'm fortunate to have a lot of original paperwork on my bus, but there's some pieces still missing. I decided to make this post with everything I have, hoping there's a chance someone out there knows more, or maybe they'll Google the info one day and turn it up.

So first, the basics. It's a 1978 standard Westfalia campmobile.
VIN: 2382145764

M-Plate:
82 145 764
227 246
945134 D52 P22 005 073
23 2 7243 UN 2319 61

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the original Warranty & Maintenance book, showing it was sold on 2/13/79 at Southwest Volkswagen in Houston, TX. The first few service pages have their perforated slips torn out, and there is a stamp showing it received its 7500/6mo maintenance on 7/9/79. The mileage written in the box is hard to read, but I think it says 5646...not quite 7500 miles but whatever.

It didn't get its 22,500 mile service or any more after that at the dealer, or if it did, they didn't tear out the stub.

Next, I have a registration receipt showing it was registered to Julio C. Rivera of 3765 Foxford Drive, Doraville, GA 30340. That's in Dekalb County. Julio bought the bus on 10/31/86 according to the registration.

In 1992, he moved to 2828 Ponderosa Circle, Decatur, GA 30033. I have vehicle registrations from him in 1986, 1989, 1992, and 1993.

Finally, I have a lot of receipts for service done at Northlake Service center, 3876-3890 Lawrenceville Hwy, Tucker, GA 30084. The owner's names seem to be Kenny Boggess and Bobby Sellers.

1/31/91 it got an oil change and tune-up, and it says the fuel injection harness was repaired.

7/5/91 the brakes and idle were adjusted, and a used transaxle was installed.

12/30/91 it got another tune up, oil change, and a vacuum leak was fixed at the elbow and warm-up regulator.

9/4/92 it got a tune-up, oil change, brakes were adjusted and it got a used air boot.

10/15/93 the pushrod tube seals were replaced, it got an oil change and tune-up. Compression test was 130/130/125/125 on 1/2/3/4 and the alternator belt was replaced.

10/24/94 it got a new header and sheet metal screws were installed.

1/17/95 it had two CV bolts drilled and tapped on left inner axle flange, and the left exhaust manifold was removed and a used one was installed.

Sometime in 1994, Northlake Service Center moved to 1549 Stone Ridge Dr, Stone Mountain, GA 30083.

That's really all the history I have on it, until September 2000 when I purchased it from Steve Smith of The Autobahn Society in Braselton, GA. He told me he got the bus from an estate sale, which I presume to be Julio's, which means he's probably no longer living.

My estimates put the mileage on the bus at around 228,000.

So to Julio or whoever had this bus before. It's fantastic! It's taken me on so many trips and I've learned a lot from it. I hope I'm having as much fun with it as you did, and I plan to keep it going on adventures with me for as long as possible.

So I know it's a long shot, but if you happen to know this bus or its original owners somehow, speak up! I've never done a public records search, but I wonder if I have enough info to do so on Julio C. Rivera.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.411.com/name/Julio-Rivera/GA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: