Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question for dry sump folks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58Dub wrote:

Did you have Rocky tap the case for that?

I bought the drill bit and tap to do it myself. If Rocky already has the drill and tap, it would probably be cheaper to pay him to do it, rather than do it yourself.

I don't think electrickery works that way
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
owdlvr wrote:
Quote:
I'm using a CB Performance dry-sump tank. The 12-quart advertised capacity is greater than the physical dimensions of the tank. Seriously.

That would be due to the fact that dry-sump tanks aren't classed by the tank capacity, but rather the oil capacity of the whole oil system.

Not to be contentious, but Peterson, Canton, and Mocal tanks are advertised at the actual tank capacity. Using the 2/3rds rule of thumb, if you want to run 8 qts of oil you would plan to run a 12 qt Peterson, Canton, or Mocal tank.

Stef's tanks are advertised at less than their physical capacity, so that you add the advertised volume of oil and there is adequate volume remaining for de-aeration. So, if you want to run 8 qts of oil, you run an 8 qt Stef's tank.

None of these tanks are advertised at a capacity greater than their physical dimensions.

This CB tank is the only one I've come across that is advertised at 2 qts more than its physical dimensions.

The only purpose of bringing this up is that if anybody is comparing different tank sizes to fit the physical dimensions available, they should at least be aware of this discrepancy relative to what other US dry sump tank manufacturers are advertising.

Ah, yes. Double checked and you are, I think, correct. Pretty sure Peterson is sized like the Steff with a lower capacity vs. dimensions...but supercritical is on an I don't feel like doing math Wink

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1993 C3500 with Cummins swap
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a plumbing schematic for that DAVE HORD picture with the accusump? Wondering why there is a line going towards the front of the car
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line goes up to the base of the shifter, where I have a manual ball valve, before making a 180 turn to go back to the engine. Allows me to open and close the Accusump without unbelting from the 5pt harness.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripped66..... this is very useful information which I did not know. I am buying a drysump tank soon and have been a bit confused by dimensions and capacity.
many thanks.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
stripped66..... this is very useful information which I did not know. I am buying a drysump tank soon and have been a bit confused by dimensions and capacity.
many thanks.

When in doubt, estimate the tank volume from the given dimensions, accounting for the filler-neck (subtract its height from the overall calculation of volume) and any conical features of the tank. This will give you a ballpark figure whether the advertised volume is the tank capacity (e.g. Peterson), whether the advertised volume is how much oil should be in the tank (e.g. Stef's), or whether the advertised volume is something else entirely.

rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could have too large of a tank, the size of the tank doesn't change how much oil goes through the engine, I suppose you could use a Quarter Barrel if you wanted, just drink the beer first then weld in your bungs.
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few folks have asked me for a diagram of my system. Here it is, setup to be easy to read.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owdlvr wrote:
Few folks have asked me for a diagram of my system. Here it is, setup to be easy to read.

-Dave

thanks Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you guys useing for a bypass ?

Nice diagram, But don't see the bypass.
owdlvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only using the in-case factory bypass to the sump. No bypass to feed line, as suggested with some systems. When I was researching dry-sump setups for the VW, there wasn't a whole lot of information available, and I don't recall reading a whole lot about bypasses. I did initially look into adding an external bypass (Peterson style) but later determined it wasn't necessary.

I based the bulk of my system on Mark & John Huebbe's setup, as it was well proven with two years of stage rally (and now a WRC Mexico class win). To my knowledge they've just been running the factory bypass as well, but I will ask Mark to jump in on the thread and confirm. Now that mine is together, I can safely say that both of our systems have sustained long periods (often 30min or more) at 5500-6500rpm without issue.

A bypass would be really nice to have during warmup, though I have been able to combat high-pressure at cold temperatures with a combination of oil weight and, pre-heating and careful warm up.

Please chime in regarding the need/benefit for a bypass. I'm always open to improving my system...and if I've missed something important I would certainly go back to improve things.

-Dave
1958 Beetle
1975 Beetle
1973 Super Beetle
1967 MGB
1963 MG Midget
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching for possible oil pickups for a drysump and ran across this. Has anyone seen one of these? Just wondering if its as restrictive as a normal banjo type fitting.
http://www.holley.com/230122ERL.asp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, even if they were significantly more restrictive than a standard -12 fitting, running an external pressure bypass that returned the oil to the tank instead of the case would eliminate that issue. If you need the clearance, I'd think it would work fine; if you don't need the clearance, it's an expensive hose-end.

VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this pump use the factory pickup as the scavenge? would make sense but the drawing isnt showing it

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
does this pump use the factory pickup as the scavenge? would make sense but the drawing isnt showing it

The pump I am planning on using will have an external scavenge line.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like a sump "plate" on the oil drain plate part of the case. Ive seen those before, some of the Dry sump setups are hard to wrap my head around

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:

the BP can use the stock one or external
markhuebbe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owdlvr wrote:
I based the bulk of my system on Mark & John Huebbe's setup, as it was well proven with two years of stage rally (and now a WRC Mexico class win). To my knowledge they've just been running the factory bypass as well, but I will ask Mark to jump in on the thread and confirm. Now that mine is together, I can safely say that both of our systems have sustained long periods (often 30min or more) at 5500-6500rpm without issue.

No bypass. Takes a while to heat up all of the oil, but it's a good thing while on stage. I normally like to start a stage with 160F oil and by the end of 20 miles I'm pushing 230F to 250F. At rally Mexico I ran for over an hour on just one stage between 4k-6krpm and never a problem.

I'd have to say my system (and Dave's) has proven itself. I've ran it since 2006 and never had a problem. The only time I've lost oil pressure is when I run low (normally due to burning oil) and toss the car around tight twisty courses (which uncovers the sump pickup tube).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owdlvr wrote:
I'm only using the in-case factory bypass to the sump. No bypass to feed line, as suggested with some systems. When I was researching dry-sump setups for the VW, there wasn't a whole lot of information available, and I don't recall reading a whole lot about bypasses. I did initially look into adding an external bypass (Peterson style) but later determined it wasn't necessary.

A bypass would be really nice to have during warmup, though I have been able to combat high-pressure at cold temperatures with a combination of oil weight and, pre-heating and careful warm up.

Please chime in regarding the need/benefit for a bypass. I'm always open to improving my system...and if I've missed something important I would certainly go back to improve things.

-Dave

Well it's a dry sump, Bypassing oil to the sump kinda defeats the hole purpose.

A external bypass to the tank is a much better option, Here a image of the 3 stage A/C Pump I sold
you can see the -8 brass bypass.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as pickups this is about the best you can get.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=490757

I have a few of those hard lines if somebody needs one.

I Sold that pump to guy on here, 1946vw he seem's to be doing pretty sweet work Smile
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastone wrote:
As far as pickups this is about the best you can get.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=490757

Agreed. It's a simple, inexpensive, and effective pick-up. Unfortunately, they only work on Type 1's and will not fit a converted wasserboxer case.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: