Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has the fastest Bay window bus here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Alright... I did a 0-60 run last night. 30 seconds one way 34 seconds the other way. So 32 seconds because there isn't any damn level ground around here. Smile

Of course, this was loaded with my standard tools, parts, instruments, clothes, and a 1922 typewriter. Full tank of gas. 1584 single port.

I'm sure a mathematician could use my weight and times to figure out horsepower, but in the mean time I'll be at the beach.

Robbie

Edit: I found someone to do the math. Those figures put me at 25.5 net horsepower. Maybe next time I'll floor it.

It's also important to clarify weather we discuss "net" (at the wheels) or "gross" (engine on a test stand with no alternator draw) horsepower.

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

You guys crack me up,,, Laughing I'm always entertained on here Wink I luv driving fast just not with 'Drum brakes' :shock:also,, 30 seconds to me a DragRacer seem like a lifetime Laughing Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
You guys crack me up,,, Laughing I'm always entertained on here Wink I luv driving fast just not with 'Drum brakes' :shock:also,, 30 seconds to me a DragRacer seem like a lifetime Laughing Laughing Laughing

See Mike the interweb is still a fun place Smile. You have a kick ass T1 in you bus, dyno that thing. Laughing Laughing
’65 Deluxe Build
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Hey rich,I'd rather dyno my two other motors
wish I could learn how to post a pic with 1 click like STF's insteadof go here copy/ paste Blalalala,,LOL
Turbo 1915
turbo 2276
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dans Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

'Dan's Bus' once did 550 MPH backwards............in a DC8 freighter aircraft flying between Lagos, Nigeria and London Gatwick airport Smile
Tony
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Dans Bus wrote:
'Dan's Bus' once did 550 MPH backwards............in a DC8 freighter aircraft flying between Lagos, Nigeria and London Gatwick airport Smile
Tony

cool. How did you fit it thru that small passenger door...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dans Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Hey, I love that picture!!
The DC 8 was a freighter, with a full size Cargo Door.
The Bus was loaded and unloaded, using a 'High lift' machine.
Once the front half was in, the back wheels were on an Aluminium pallet, which allowed the vehicle to be slid around 90 degrees, so that it could be pushed back to the over wing position.
'Dan's Bus' had the plane to itself, there was no other cargo, the freighters would come in from Europe completely full, but there was normally no cargo for the return journey.
The cargo company would accept anything for the return journey, for a little 'Gas' money..............in my case it was $500, which was cheaper than on a ship!
Tony
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Cheaper than the ship AND not exposed to salty air. That's something we can all appreciate Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Mine has been dyno'd at 113 horses.This was when it had only done 500km from an extensive rebuild.
Its now at 6000km and is a totally different motor,im guessing its about 125 hp?
I hardly ever push it hard and cruise on long trips at 65 to 70mph fully loaded.
This motor has lots of torque which is what I need.
Im not saying its the fastest bus here but its sensible and reliable.
Its does sound fast with the exhaust im using and I do get the usual comments like,"aha so you running a Porsche motor in that baby?"
Sometimes I get the time to explain the whole Porsche/VW thing......

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

LOL! Very Happy I'm happy to see this thread is still entertaining, I read the new posts and had a good laugh. Laughing I don't think we have to have hard rules to follow here just post up. Its fun to see dyno charts and drag race times, or just a pic of your speedo with the needle buried. Very Happy As far as engine type, who cares just post. Even if you have a Buick v6 in the middle of your cargo bed, lets see it. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
maddog2276
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Threads a bit old but...........1970 UK Dormobile, street legal/driven, original camper interior. John Maher built 2276cc with a squirt of NOS. USB founder and silver member with a best of 14,77

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

See, stickers DO make your bus faster.

Robbie
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Actually the flames do!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

Actually the flames do!

Nope its the stickers definately the stickers. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maddog2276
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Laughing All wrong...it's the glitterball Cool
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Getting your bus on a dyno costs money.
Gas to go camping costs less money.
Bay owners like going camping.
I'm starting to see a solid conclusion to this.

Guys, I put my bus on a dyno today. Anybody want to guess numbers? Razz

I guess I need a camping trip.
Laughing
Robbie
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Brian wrote:
Getting your bus on a dyno costs money.
Gas to go camping costs less money.
Bay owners like going camping.
I'm starting to see a solid conclusion to this.

Guys, I put my bus on a dyno today. Anybody want to guess numbers? Razz

I guess I need a camping trip.
Laughing
Robbie

Wana race? Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

42 at the wheels

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Skills, I think you have those numbers reversed.
’65 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

I am waiting eagerly..........

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: