Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has the fastest Bay window bus here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully we are allowed to have different opinions here and this thread is not being locked or stuck into a 15 thousand post thread on one subject. If you don't like or want a fast bus, you have the option of remaining stock and not reading this thread. Wink
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Mild-Core
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith wrote:

What's your gearing and what RPMs are you turning in 4th at highway speeds (55,65 MPH )?

I have a stock 002 transmission for now. I already bought a six rib 091 to build with taller gears but haven't gotten started on that yet.

I don't have a tach installed yet but from this video with Tuner Studio on my buddy's laptop, the tach display looks like its around 3500 rpm but it's too shaky to really tell.

Link

Actually, given my tire sizes and the 002 I used a calculator and found that it's actually 3500 RPM at 55 mph. That puts me at 4100 RPM at 65 mph Shocked . I've never actually calculated that before. Clearly my drivetrain is not optimized Laughing. It won't be this quick when I put in the built 091.
Mild-Core
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeO. wrote:
Why go Fast? All you need is speed to pass a big rig up hill! Yeah it's good to go fast, buy Honda for God sakes!

If I wanted to go fast I probably wouldn't buy a Honda. Just sayin'.

The rest of your argument is sound though Rolling Eyes .
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you know about VTEC? That shit is the bomb yo!

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Thankfully we are allowed to have different opinions here and this thread is not being locked or stuck into a 15 thousand post thread on one subject. If you don't like or want a fast bus, you have the option of remaining stock and not reading this thread. Wink

Or remaining stock and enjoying this thread too Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeeE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast bus. 90 mph all day long, and 30 mpg too!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and I am LYING! It's a weird speedo cable problem, it worked fine for months, then went wild, bounced around and then settled down but is now about 15 mph fast. This is actually about 75.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has the fastest Bay window bus here Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
I just want to see, I might be putting a bad boy motor in a bus of mine shortly so I wondered if anyone has 150 hp or more. Any turbo bays out there? I like a big type 1 motor with all the trimmings. Very Happy

Are you interested in the fastest bus of the one with the highest wattage (most horsepower)?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop screwing around and do it this way or this way. All this petty talk of who can go fast is too limited. Think BIG

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
stop screwing around and do it this way or this way. All this petty talk of who can go fast is too limited. Think BIG

Well first, neither of those is a bay bus, and secondly... THEY ARE NOT YOURS! Rolling Eyes
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
Why don't you just go all out stupid strong?

Link

I don't have that problem like the one in the video is having, with my Bus!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mild-Core wrote:
Keith wrote:

What's your gearing and what RPMs are you turning in 4th at highway speeds (55,65 MPH )?

I have a stock 002 transmission for now. I already bought a six rib 091 to build with taller gears but haven't gotten started on that yet.

I don't have a tach installed yet but from this video with Tuner Studio on my buddy's laptop, the tach display looks like its around 3500 rpm but it's too shaky to really tell.

Link

Actually, given my tire sizes and the 002 I used a calculator and found that it's actually 3500 RPM at 55 mph. That puts me at 4100 RPM at 65 mph Shocked . I've never actually calculated that before. Clearly my drivetrain is not optimized Laughing. It won't be this quick when I put in the built 091.

how far off is your speedo again? the engine sounded way happy when you bury the pedal. just at that light cruise it wanted to just keep pulling when he rolled his foot into it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Colonel_Mustard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeE wrote:
Fast bus. 90 mph all day long, and 30 mpg too!

and I am LYING! It's a weird speedo cable problem, it worked fine for months, then went wild, bounced around and then settled down but is now about 15 mph fast. This is actually about 75.

My speedo is working Smile
I don't recommend doing this for too long. Was crusing most of the way around 70, kept slipping up to 75 and 80 at times. Figured Id try once to hit 90 for a photo. 1977 GD 2.0L FI
Professional driver on a closed course.
Mild-Core
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
how far off is your speedo again? the engine sounded way happy when you bury the pedal. just at that light cruise it wanted to just keep pulling when he rolled his foot into it

Yeah I know what you mean, the rpm numbers I got from the calculator above don't really match up with how the bus feels. I used the calculator on the John Maher Racing website.

I haven't checked it with a GPS or anything so I'm not certain but based on the 175/70r14 tire size compared to a 185r14, I think it's 9% fast. I thought I read somewhere that the aspect ratio on a tire with none specified is 82, so that's where the 9% comes from.

So Jeff was rolling on the throttle from about 65 mph and let off at 82 mph in the video. The caveat is that the speedo wasn't really designed to be reading accurately at those speeds, plus it's 42+ years old, so who knows?

The rev limit on the EFI is set to 6200 rpm so that would get me to 99 mph maxed out. From where that needle ends up in my first video, pointing down at the MPH, it probably came close to it. This makes me want to get some 185r14s for the rear.

On the real though, I'm totally freaked out that I'm going to destroy this transmission with these shenanigans. I've been taking it much easier lately. I do have a spare 091 sitting on my side yard but I don't know if it's good. When the 002 is built and ready to go in I'll feel much better Smile
leadsled2020
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vassy66T1 wrote:
Well I know it is not mine, but a good friend has a 20B rotary in his baywindow. 11.37 sec quarter mile. (the vid is an 11.86 pass)
Let us know when you have bettered that Smile

Link

Is this guy on the forum somewhere? Maybe a build thread?
This thing is wicked!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he isn't, but all the wannabees post up other peoples fast buses because they don't have they own but they need daily affirmation anyways. So far the fastest bay on the forum has 65 horse power and loose pushrods. Laughing
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
So far the fastest bay on the forum has 65 horse power and loose pushrods. Laughing

Just noticed this thread...

No idea how fast mine will go because I've never felt the need to push it that hard, but it'll cruise comfortably at 75-80 (GPS speed, not speedo) all day long. Around 100HP and no pushrods -- SOHC FTW! Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:
So far the fastest bay on the forum has 65 horse power and loose pushrods. Laughing

No idea how fast mine will go because I've never felt the need to push it that hard, but it'll cruise comfortably at 75-80 (GPS speed, not speedo) all day long. Around 100HP and no pushrods -- SOHC FTW! Laughing

You haven't noticed this thread? Well then I bet its because you are secure in the size of your penis, oh sorry I mean motor and or speed at which it propels you Wink

Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Fau Veh wrote:
No he isn't, but all the wannabees post up other peoples fast buses because they don't have they own but they need daily affirmation anyways. So far the fastest bay on the forum has 65 horse power and loose pushrods. Laughing

looks to me that mild-core has the fastest bus here, as in, he owns it and has proof of what it can do.

i think the question should be asked who has the fastest, most streetable/reliable bus here.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
tristessa wrote:
Red Fau Veh wrote:

You haven't noticed this thread? Well then I bet its because you are secure in the size of your penis, oh sorry I mean motor and or speed at which it propels you Wink

Laughing
I might have a tiny penis but I have lots of fun cars and tall trucks and a big house full of great stuff. Enjoy your big penis, I'm going racing.
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original owner of my Mexican single cab (Bill Jones of Autowerks in San Antonio, a high end Porsche engine shop) took out the original 1600 and hot rodded the thing. He said it would go 100 mph on the flat. After seeing the engines these guys are putting together a few months ago, I believe him.

That hot rodded engine is long gone, though...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: