Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 bus help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasoncpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

Hello I am new here and just got a 1968 bus the bottom slideing door track is rotten away can someone please tell me what parts I need to fix it? I can weld it up no problem I just don't know what parts i mite need. Thanks in advance
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

Jasoncpg wrote:
Hello I am new here and just got a 1968 bus the bottom slideing door track is rotten away can someone please tell me what parts I need to fix it? I can weld it up no problem I just don't know what parts i mite need. Thanks in advance

Give us a picture of the rot so we have an idea of depth
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jasoncpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

This is my bus. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

Shocked

Looks like a parts bus to me, unless you have $20k to repair all the rust.
Sorry you got stuck with it.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jasoncpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

Lol where I come from this is a keeper! Frame rails are good its mostly body damage. Going to save it.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

i did this on my bus about ten years ago, you can get the whole lower track and also inner and outer rockers. i hope you like welding. there are a lot of different mfg.'s out there ,but the guys in england have really nice body panels...also bus depot has a decent selection for bays.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Shocked

Looks like a parts bus to me, unless you have $20k to repair all the rust.
Sorry you got stuck with it.

X2 Shocked

ho-leee shit. no way that is economical to save. to answer your question...you need a lot on that sliding door track...

search rocker /sliding door rocker. it's been covered a 1000 times. but that bus needs to drive though a autocaft catalogue and hit every part on the way out. if that's a keeper, what is considered a non keeper? a dustpan full of chunks?

I'd rather shit in my hand and clap than try to fix that thing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

I'll give you $20 plus shipping for the side reflectors…

Unless you want to spend years to get it to the state of "not scrap," I suggest taking all the usable parts off for sale or reuse, and start with a cleaner shell. You'll save thousands, dollars and hours.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

There isn't a lot left to weld to... Shocked

My bus wasn't nearly as bad as this, but the repair list will be similar.

Cargo floor, wheel tubs, misc steel pieces made for the inner section, mulitple top hat sections under the floor, outriggers, inner middle and outer sills/door track. Likely rear tubs, front floor? Lots more likely.

Cut it apart and see what's left, honestly though you could probably buy a dry carcass for what the repairs will cost.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

I truly hope you can prove us all wrong, Jason, and make that a safe driving bus again.
If you do, please post lots of pictures and feel free to add a few "told ya so's" in your thread.

When I bought mine, a PO had a removed the original engine with FI and stuck in a smaller carbed engine. But to register it in Calif, it had to have FI and pass a smog test. Several experienced Sambanistas that are very knowledgeable told me I couldn't replace the carbs with FI on a 1700 engine. However, with much help from Asiab3, we got FI installed, got it running and got it registered.

So even very experienced ACVW folk can be wrong occasionally.
And now it's your turn to show us we're wrong.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

look through the projects and builds treads for some insight.check my project at the link below,lot of work replacing metal ,but if you do it yourself the cost for materials is not too bad,
this book is a great help,
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7195998#7195998
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I truly hope you can prove us all wrong, Jason, and make that a safe driving bus again.
If you do, please post lots of pictures and feel free to add a few "told ya so's" in your thread.

I completely agree - I would love to see a "told ya so" thread. There have been some ambitious projects posted here before. I think some members from Massachusetts (?) cut a couple of buses up and made one roadworthy out of the pair.
Jasoncpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

Thank you for all the input. Frame is good I can't stab it with my body hammer I just ordered all the sheet metal for the sliding door I will post pics as I go. Looks worse in the pictures then when you look with your eyes. It was in a grage for 21 years without a open door. Motor cranks clutch is good trans shifts all gears smoothly. I hope I can save it as I just put a good chunk of cash in it. Lol thanks again for the positive comments!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

Out of curiosity what are the vehicle inspection requirements where you are? here in NH you can't have any rust or holes, but some places will let an old project VW slide a bit. Any similar requirements in Ontario?
Jasoncpg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 bus help Reply with quote

Rust is ok just no hole's but buy the time I am finished you won't see any rust and because it's so old I can get away with quite a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: