Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

help with a 1977 westy package
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theperfectdrugsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: help with a 1977 westy package Reply with quote

i just bought a 1977 westy...and im wondering if there are any manuals or and special tricks to taking out and reinstalling the westy package...we plan on going over the entire bus, repainting, repairing etc...and im just trying to figure out if there is any method to the madness. any help you guys could give would be much appreciated.
-tk
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the hardest part was the drain pipe for the sink, and trying to lift the whole cabinet with it attached, and getting the vent pipe out of it's hole in the side. Actually doing anything that had to do with that damn pipe sucked. Other than that, it's all pretty straight forward. There's a ton of hardware though, so get some containers, and maybe ziplock sandwich bags and a felt pen so you can keep track of att the nuts& bolts & screws. What's the finish like on the cabinets are you planning to do those too? Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theperfectdrugsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...we plan on getting rid of the sink all together, and just replacing the cabinet top and shelves= more storage room. The finish is in pretty good shape. Some of the rubber has warped and distorted from the sun/heat/whatnot. Altogether its in nice shape.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to take the sink out with care , you can probly sell it to someone here.
We found with my 71 westy that a cooler & wash basin take up less space, and weigh less, sold the ice box sink unit for 125$ to someone who wanted stock/ orig. stuff for there Bus.... to each his own. Wink

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I'd try to take the sink out first, or at least unhook the drainpipe from it, it'll make it easier to take the cabinet out. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: