Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TX-73 Bug Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Thomas was virtually a part-owner! I could not have been as successful with the build without his expertise. That is no exaggeration, great guy.

Funny that I have always found a lot of relations between bug and 55-57 Chevy owners - each seems to like or have had experience with the other car. I think they are both classic styling.

I will beg the indulgence of the moderators here for the end of this bug build with some 57 info.....

I'll date myself lol but I build the 57 from 1985 to 1990. Long project, everything except interior done in my garage. Back before internet clicking to find info and similar interests!

I've posted some pics of it as it sits, as mentioned it's a refresh project but will include some work on engine mounts, transmission, exhaust, interior and fuel delivery. Thomas is in for the count on this one too! There won't be a posted build thread on a forum on this, it will just be done "silently".
Engine is a 454 with mild street build, th400, Ford 9 in the back.

Here are some pics and I hope it's ok to stray from the bug topic this one time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by TX-73 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Beautiful!!

Hope the mods let it slide.

Agree with the connection between Bugs and old 55 - 57 Chevys. Something is there but I cannot put my finger on it. Maybe the rounded top. Or it is just basic!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Actually, I’ve never known a person who didn’t like a ‘57 Chevy.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
The End for me ....
The Beginning for the new owner....

Off to its new home.
I'm glad to have had the chance to work on this little guy.

I love how they bought a single purpose enclosed trailer for the bug, and put the bug in the enclosed trailer... and then put a cover on the bug so that it would be safe inside the enclosed trailer. Very Happy

It is clear that your bug will be well cared for and appreciated in it's new family.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Beautiful!!

Agree with the connection between Bugs and old 55 - 57 Chevys. Something is there but I cannot put my finger on it. Maybe the rounded top. Or it is just basic!

It's that they are yin and yang. Both are curved, but together they form a perfect circle and the automotive world is balanced. Meditate on that.

(We're all snowed in over here so...)
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Beautiful!!

It's that they are yin and yang. Both are curved, but together they form a perfect circle and the automotive world is balanced.

I learn very much wise one. Humblest thank you!

- Grasshoper

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

We enjoyed getting to know the buyers of the bug and yes , it's clear they intend to keep it and enjoy it. We'll keep in touch, there will be many more questions as well, besides all the documentation they got.
My biased opinion is that bugs seems to be very lovable! Everywhere I went I always got a good response , a thumbs up driving, or a bug remembered story.
Truly a great experience for me.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

The was a reason why Herbie was called The Love Bug.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick - hope you're well and whatever your current project may be is purring along!

I was hoping for a bit of advice on the headliner. Hopefully you're still on here occasionally! Basically, I'm stuck at this point of getting the C-pillars installed correctly - i.e., as nice and wrinkle free as you have. Can you give me a bit more detail as to how you proceeded to get it massaged in w/out the wrinkles? I've started by gluing the section along the glass edge of the rear and side windows, but am lost as to how I'm going to be able to get to look as smooth as yours. Do you apply heat to it before gluing edges? Glue one edge, then apply heat to shrink it, glue another edge, continue? I'm really afraid I'm going to mess this up. The driver side came out iffy and I had to remove it and reposition it after 24 hours because I just did not like how it looked. I'm also concerned w/melting the headliner by overheating it. Heat gun or hair dryer?

Well, thanks - hope to hear from you soon!

Víctor

TX-73 wrote:
Thanks E, send a note to let me know how your build is going Very Happy

Here's the next bit of interior. I placed the quarter panel section into place as shown. They are shaped into the general contour of the area and a Samba member helped me verify that this was placed correctly. This is the same perforated material as the headliner.

Got my friend the hair dryer and heated/stretched it into place. I've started to get the feel of the vinyl, how much to heat and pull it. The 3 defrost grills will still need to be installed but I'll wait for now. I did remove the foam around the grills themselves so the material will pull right down against the holes when the plastic grills are snapped into place. The wrinkles at far left section under the window are not an issue, all that will be covered with the window bottom section.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Dang Victor, I'm sorry. As you can see from my waaay late response, I'm on some other projects currently, mainly the 57.

But for the sake of info, I used a blend of glue to one edge (with clips), let it dry, then light use of heat and stretching to pull the material over to the opposite edge and installed the clips. Then the material was again lightly heated and pulled downward and glued to the wheel well. I used tape over that part to help keep it pulled downward. No contact adhesive on any foam, the material simply slides over it. Some additional foam to help puff out the material (within reason) sometimes also helps. You pretty much have to look at the foam to ensure it lets the material sit right against it, if there's a gap between foam and headliner that can end in a wrinkle.
You will see a bit of wrinkling at the rear window and at the top - rear window is covered so that's ok. You will also see a small tab (same material) that I had glued to the headliner. This allowed me to pull it upwards to get that wrinkle out and then the tab was glued to the roof framing and later all covered by the top headliner panel.

New bug owner has kept in touch and has been enjoying it (between snowstorms lol) so that makes me happy to know it's in good hands and on the road.

Please note
Most of the pics in this build are in Picturetrail - I'm trying to slowly migrate them to Samba but there may be a period where links will be broken. If you want to ensure you have a record of this build I suggest you save each page as a pdf to your computer. Takes about 15 min using Chrome, selecting print, and then saving as pdf. I'm sure there's other ways, but that is how I did it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

TX! Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I've already installed it and the results were not satisfying. At some point I'll be redoing it. I'm not sure why i struggled so much w/this one. I did my '72 Super and it came out quite well. My '64 came out great. This one, I'd get an edge looking good, then stretching to the opposite edge it would go to crap.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

It's been awhile since the last posts, I thought I'd share a pic that the current owner of the bug sent me.

We've kept in touch, a very nice gentleman who's kept it in perfect shape. As you can see the mighty 4-cylinder lives on lol.

Kidding of course Very Happy
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Nice to see it is doing well!! Smile
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Looks great, and I guess it's new job is to pull that camping trailer.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Page 35 of 35

Jump to: