Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scat Long Blocks
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Scat Long Blocks Reply with quote

Performed a search with zero results, all articles I could find were several years old...

Anyone have experience with Scat long blocks recently?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a daily scat 2276 kit. I built it. Scat makes nice products in exception to theor liftrrs. I hear lots of horror stories on certain parts not meeting specs. If you dont have too much mechanical aptitude Id option for a reputable builder. Theres lots of them out there. Worst part of it all i hear from a couple people that they take long and customer service blows.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built (rebuilt) several VW engines, but this one is for my father. Looking at the cost of the Scat Zero Mile long block I cannot build a motor for that cost.

This is the reason I'm asking...he wants a stock 1600DP and being retired is cheap Smile
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it.
DarthWeber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Looking at the cost of the Scat Zero Mile long block I cannot build a motor for that cost.

Price may be an indication of quality. Where did they skimp?
Swapped the Compufire for a Bosch blue and some points I had sitting around, started 1st crank. Took her out for a drive, pulls harder, more RPM, and runs smoother. I think I'll be sticking with points from now on.

RockCrusher wrote:
JB weld the case halves....that'll keep the fretting to a minimum. Laughing
hill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought an angine but am using one of their fancy cranks, rods, and flywheel.

I think maybe that complaints about customer service arise from their online ordering system as much as anything else. You're supposed to put things in cart, complete order, and THEN wait for them to call about payment and shipping. I mean, come on!

But give them a call for what you want and they're great - really great. Whoever answers the phone will know what he/she is talking about and they complete an order and get it on the way as quickly as anyone.

So I'm sure that whatever you want to know about one of their longblock packages will be answered if you call them up. IMO they're good guys.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthWeber wrote:
txoval wrote:
Looking at the cost of the Scat Zero Mile long block I cannot build a motor for that cost.

Price may be an indication of quality. Where did they skimp?
they probably have all the parts in one place, on a shelf and dont have $1500 in shipping them from all over the world to thier front door for each motor. I have only had 2 issues with any scat parts,well 3 now that I think of it.1 was the drag fast into reverse shifter, 1 was the grove for the circlip in the crank was too deep,I 1 was the rocker shaft wasent dfl coated as addervertizedid. but for the most part I havent seen a bad part from them.do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: