Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
The early forecast for Saturday is showers. If so we will park on my driveway and gather in the garage, no rain date! Laughing

I am sorry to report that the NCAVWC alumni has decided to postpone this gathering until the fall due to wet weather at the end of this week and into Saturday.

I will post later this summer on the new date. Have fun this summer. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

that's wonderfully bad news..
as I wasn't able to come down for the spring date.
I am hopeful the one free weekend I have in the fall will align better Wink

we have family in Towson, so it's not a big deal to stop by from Upstate, NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
that's wonderfully bad news..
as I wasn't able to come down for the spring date.
I am hopeful the one free weekend I have in the fall will align better Wink

we have family in Towson, so it's not a big deal to stop by from Upstate, NY

Hmmm, what weekend would that be? Razz

The Western Syncro build
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I am sorry to... postpone this gathering until the fall.
....I will post later this summer on the new date. Have fun this summer. Very Happy

Dave: Sorry to hear it- I was looking forward to more van action-- following on the German car show in Vienna VA three days ago. I have noticed a couple of events already announced; watch out not to double-book the early Oct event at Brunswick MD. These are from the "Full Moon Bus Club", an on-line group that covers at least from north Florida to Vermont, but centering around Asheville NC (my home town as a kid, and the locus of lots of Full Moon campouts). The FMBC dhas a good number of Splitties, and of Bay Windows, too. Maybe all 3 eras are there in similar proportion.

2017 FMBC events not too far away: There's 'NaturalBus', June 23 to 25, at the Natural Bridge-- about 3 hours from DC, down 81 past Roanoke.
And Oct 6 to 8 they visit, as most years, the "Railroad Days" celebration in Brunswick-- just east of Harpers Ferry on the edge of the canal on the north side of the Potomac, not much over an hour from DC. I went last Oct: between biking along the tow-path trail and poking around both Brunswick and the very worthwhile Civil War sites at Harpers, the campground is a fine base. Somehow, despite the 'big weekend' in town there, no reservation is needed at the Brunswick campground, although to camp near other vans, plan to get there before too late the first night.
Their calendar (on their site hit 'calendar') is still almost empty (other events in NC, SC, northern PA and VT so far), but check in on them every 2 or 3 weeks for updates. AND: if anyone sees other events on other sites, please post them here. I had never heard of the VA van site on Facebook till Sun at the German meet; apparently I had missed an overnighter the previous weekend
The Tidewater van group has had campouts along the Rappahannock for years, but the site may get sold before this August-- keep your eyes open- it's a great site-- swimming, boating, etc, and they have 'games' and live music. Sponsored by the Volkswagen Club of Tidewater-- see their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/166736317074968/?active_tab=posts
SO, again: PLEASE post other nearby events on this thread; last summer the number listed here was very small (maybe only 3). Thanks, Pinetreeporsche, aka Chris H, in Falls Church
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

Has anyone camped at any of the 6 primitive campgrounds West VA. an hour west of Front Royal, VA in the Short Mountain Wildlife Mgmt. Area? See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Mountain_Wildlife_Management_Area ? I also put this on the Samba site about camping in the Washington/Jefferson Forest areas and on the Full Moon Bus Club site, to see if anyone has more information on which campgrounds are best. Anyone been there? I'm adding it to my list of spots to check out. -Chris
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC- Aug event at Hagerstown Reply with quote

I just saw this in the LiMBO e-publication for July:
"Aug. 19 (Sat) Hagerstown, MD - Simple Transport VW show. Hagerstown Fairgrounds Park, 360 North Cannon Ave, Hagerstown, MD. See www.simple-transport.com."
The link is to a "Shutterfly"site (whatever that is) called "Simple Transport" which I've never heard of. Anyone ever been to one of these- farther down the Simple site there's a reference to last year's version. Anyone know anything about the event?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

Well crap. That is the solar eclipse weekend and I'll be south of St. Louis at a friends place on the river.

The Western Syncro build
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

Quote:
Aug. 19 (Sat) Hagerstown, MD - Simple Transport VW show. Hagerstown Fairgrounds Park, 360 North Cannon Ave, Hagerstown, MD. See www.simple-transport.com

We have gone several times. I think there is even a photo in our gallery of one year. It is one (of four) of our favorites for all air-cooled, including bikes, and motorcycles. Appears to have a decent sale area-we don't usually need anything for me to truly assess. A must go show, if in town and not raining.

We, too, are heading to total eclipse area in NC, so will not be able to attend.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

Quote:
We, too, are heading to total eclipse area in NC, so will not be able to attend.

I grew up in Asheville NC, which is within an hour of the eclipse track, so will probably be in the South for that weekend. Maybe next year; seems like I should get to the Hagerstown show sometime, as my last name is Hager!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
dobryan wrote:
The early forecast for Saturday is showers. If so we will park on my driveway and gather in the garage, no rain date! Laughing

I am sorry to report that the NCAVWC alumni has decided to postpone this gathering until the fall due to wet weather at the end of this week and into Saturday.

I will post later this summer on the new date. Have fun this summer. Very Happy

We are rescheduled for Saturday September 16th. Details below.

Fellow NCAVWC Guys,

Below are the details for the re-scheduled NCAVWC reunion picnic now scheduled for Saturday, September 16th with a rain date of Saturday, September 23rd.

Date: Saturday, September 16th (rain date, Saturday, September 23rd)

Place: Dave & Donna O’Bryan’s
2120 Bordly Drive
Brookeville, MD 20833

Time: Noon to 3:00 PM for eating & 3:00 to 6:00 PM for BS’ing

Menu: Hamburgers, hot dogs, snacks, salad and dessert. Attendees are asked to bring snacks, salads, desserts and beverages.

Cost: $5 donation per person to defray Dave’s cost for the burgers, dogs & rolls

Vehicles: Bring whatever you have that you think others would enjoy seeing. Display in back yard if grass isn’t wet.

The Western Syncro build
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

I knew it. Our anniversary and a friend's "save the date" projected wedding day. Maybe next year.
fraggle00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

I might be able to make this one!
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

Wa-hoo: that's my birthday; thanks for throwing me a party! I've got it on, my calendar.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

And here's a Q about the rest of the summer- till Dave O's event or even after: Anyone know of any overnight van gathering within, say, 1 1/2 hours before the frost is on the pumpkin? I didn't want to go as far as Natural Bridge or Hershey PA (w/both vans plus other VWs), and am now seeing the end of the summer getting surprisingly close.
IF not, DAVE- do you know any place to camp up your way the night before your event? Possibly at Greenbelt Park, part of the US Nat'l Parks system; it's less than 1/2 hour from Brookeville, near the intersection of the BW Parkway and the beltway. Or there's Little Bennett park just off I 270 in Montgomery, and a bit over 1/2 hours from Dave's. The only problem with either is that we could have to reserve some spots ahead of time to get sites near each other, as campsites there are assigned. Or, best would be a nearly-secret stealth camping spot even closer to Dave-- anyone been at such a place? So, is anyone up for an overnighter the night of the 15th? (Don't panic, that's still 7 weeks off!)
mustard675
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

A bit north of you but I'll be hitting up Volksbash in Dover,
DE this September. They have a poker run on the 9th with camping at one of the breweries and a rain/shine show event on Sunday. Only Sunday for me but it looks like it'll be good.

https://www.volksbash.com/registration
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

We've camped at Greenbelt. Nice and affordable as of about four years ago.
mustard675
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

campism wrote:
I knew it. Our anniversary and a friend's "save the date" projected wedding day. Maybe next year.

I also have a wedding for this date and won't make the gtg unfortunately. Maybe we'll be at the same wedding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:

IF not, DAVE- do you know any place to camp up your way the night before your event? Possibly at Greenbelt Park, part of the US Nat'l Parks system; it's less than 1/2 hour from Brookeville, near the intersection of the BW Parkway and the beltway. Or there's Little Bennett park just off I 270 in Montgomery, and a bit over 1/2 hours from Dave's. The only problem with either is that we could have to reserve some spots ahead of time to get sites near each other, as campsites there are assigned. Or, best would be a nearly-secret stealth camping spot even closer to Dave-- anyone been at such a place? So, is anyone up for an overnighter the night of the 15th? (Don't panic, that's still 7 weeks off!)

Both those campgrounds are fine. I do not know of any stealth areas near me.... but my back yard is available if it is only a few busses. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

mustard675 wrote:
campism wrote:

I also have a wedding for this date and won't make the gtg unfortunately. Maybe we'll be at the same wedding.

This one is in Richmond, and we'll probably leave for Nova Scotia shortly thereafter.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VA/MD/DC (& surrounding areas) Gathering Reply with quote

So- did anyone get to the Hagerstown event today-- the one described about half way back up this page by e&m_ghia ?
And- anyone know anything about the Tidewater event along the Rappahannock that had its 5th edition last August- or did the land get sold to a developer?
Finally a known event- there were about 10 vans last year: the Brunswick (MD) "Railroad Days", w/camping at the Brunswick Family Campground-- Friday and Sat night, Oct 7 and 8,. It's right along the old C&O towpath (see Google map of Brunswick), which is now a bike/hike trail, and kayakers can play a little too. Brunswick is about 15 minutes from historic Harper's Ferry- the site of the John Brown raid in 1859 that helped bring on the Civil War. The whole town of Harper's is a National Historic Landmark, and is much unchanged since that era-- well worth most of a day's visit. This event was on the calendar of the Full Moon Bus Club last year, but not this year. I'll try to post it there. But the Railroad days (there's a nice museum, and train rides) is close and a great time, so let's be sure all VA, MD and DC bus-folk know about it-- this summer's been a little 'thin' on Westy overnight events, so let's get the word around. -Chris H
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: