Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Consumption:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Fuel Consumption: Reply with quote

Fuel Consumption: Question I am tryiing the break the 20MPG barrier on my Stock 74 super beetle. Stock Engine & carb. This is mixed Street and freeway driving. I am averaging about 20MPG, and I am happy when I get over 200 miles to a tank. What things can I do to improve this?
The engine was rebuilt 3,300 miles ago, plugs, points, condenser, cap, rotor, etc all were replaced. It ws done by a pro, I am still getting my automotive skills back.
What Mileage is anyone else getting on their supers?

Thanks,
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had mine I ran about 22-23 mpg.
Do you do alot of town dirving or highway? If town - try it on the highway, I think you will get your milage a tiny better. Thats average what they do. What kind of gas are you using, unleaded 87 regular?
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It improves when I spend more time on the Highway.
I am running Unleaded 87 octane(Costs Less). I have run Unleaded 92, without too much difference in MPG.
I am wondering at what point/MPH/RPM does the mileage dip down again. It tere a best MPG speed I should try to maintain to on the Highway?

Thanks, all,
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running a basically stock, dual port, carburated, 1600cc engine, you should be getting 23-26 city, and 26-30mpg highway.
Just barely getting 20 sounds like something could be improved.
Are you using an 009 centrifugal-only distributor?
How do you have it timed?
Have you adjusted your carb correctly?
What do your sparkplugs look like?

I get about 22 highway and 20 city in my '63 bus, and that thing is basically a brick getting pushed through the air, and weighs more to boot.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: