Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

El Cheapo OEM-style floor mats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: El Cheapo OEM-style floor mats Reply with quote

I was in Home Depot and they had these 3'x4' utility mats on for $10 so I bought one for the entryway. It really reminded me of something and it finally dawned on me...OEM Vanagon floor mats. The ribbed felty-carpetish ones. Only the VW mats have no rubber backing to them and no structure so mine curl up in the corners and water goes straight through them. The HD mat is low pile embedded in a rubber backing with no edge stitching holding it together so they could be cut to any shape/size. My project rig has no floor mats and my rust bucket has the curled up VW ones so I'll be using those as a template to cut out some new ones. It's HD on Vancouver Island though...not sure about availability elseware.

I'm sure this is not a new idea but just thought I'd share for those who are interested and the material seemed like a perfect match for colour and texture for my tan interior. It comes in chocolate brown and dark grey/black so they could work with most interiors and one cut in half could work for the bench(s) too.

My wife was les impresses when I said I wanted to cut up the floor mat I just bought. I should show here the priice of the smelly GW ones as comparison!

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/castlegate-mat-chocolate-brown-3-feet-x-4-feet/814384
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't seem to find those in the US, (at least HD) but sounds like a great idea to me! Would love to see photos of the finished product and maybe you could export some south of the boarder eh? Wink
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen those mats in Home Depots in White Rock, Surrey and Bellingham. Saw them first in Bellingham and bought three.

Cutting floor mats out of them would be good - the dark brown works well with Dixie's tan interior! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought one more to cut a 1' strip off to fit at my back door and decided to trace on the floor mats and cut them out. The 2'x4' that remained of the mat wasn't long enough to cut both front mats but I decided to try the driver's one. The mat was easy to cut the strip off with a utility knife and a pair of heavier-duty scissors easily cut the more complicated outline of the mat in about 2 minutes. I think the results are great! If I did it again I think I would cut a little larger and trim it down to exact but really, I can't complain. A full mat would easily cover the 2 mats, plus maybe enough for somethinge between the seats? then cut another in half and have 2 18" wide strips for the benches.

The material: roughly comparable in thickness but with a rubber backing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Traced and cut out:

If the shoe fits...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronsmithis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha,
Here's a couple of pictures of my EVC that I did a couple of years ago. This is actually a great idea. With a bit of time you can have really nice heavy duty floor mats.
Cheers, Ron
Very Happy:DPlease don't hate me cause I drive a eurovan:DVery Happy

Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please don't hate me cause I drive a eurovan

Living in Hawaii is plenty of reason to hate you Very Happy -40 in parts of Colorado today.
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, I don't have anything against you because you have an EV, their just not my cup of tea. The only one that annoys me drives around town with hand-painted daises and ladybugs on it. Though that would bug me on any vehicle.

Are you still sore about the Tsunami warning we sent your way?

Your mats look good and seem to have held up well, though it probably only has to contend with flip-flops and not deep-lugged snow boots. Wink
GT
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. I saw those at HD this morning and thought about doing the exact same thing.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Weird. I saw those at HD this morning and thought about doing the exact same thing.

Great minds...
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look really great!

Quick question for those who know all the forum threads, inside and out--has anyone produced a set of dimensional patterns for these front-seat mats, for those of us who have just the all-over carpet underneath and have never had mats?

I know there's a site with patterns for all the curtains (http://www.vanagonwiki.net/wiki/Westy_curtains, which is great!), but I haven't been able to find something similar for mats...

---
Kathy

Last edited by One more islander... on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more islander... wrote:
These look really great!

Quick question for those who know all the forum threads, inside and out--has anyone produced a set of dimensional patterns for these front-seat mats, for those of us who have just the all-over carpet underneath and have never had mats?

I know there's a thread with patterns for all the curtains (http://www.vanagonwiki.net/wiki/Westy_curtains, which is great!), but I haven't been able to find one for mats...

---
Kathy

When's the next time you're in Comox? You can trace them off me if you want. I'll even let you use my Sharpie and scissors if you're nice. I've heard that Powell River Brewery is pretty good...
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
These look really great!

I know there's a thread with patterns for all the curtains (http://www.vanagonwiki.net/wiki/Westy_curtains, which is great!), but I haven't been able to find one for mats...

---
Kathy

When's the next time you're in Comox? You can trace them off me if you want. I'll even let you use my Sharpie and scissors if you're nice. I've heard that Powell River Brewery is pretty good...

Sounds like a great spring project! Our Westy resides near Gibsons, but spends a lot of spring/summer/fall time on the Vancouver Island side of the Strait, where much of the extended family lives and where the camping is waaayyy better than over here (Powell River area excluded).

Thanks for the offer.

Just in case they disappear from Home Desperate in the meantime, how many mats did you figure you needed, overall, to do a nice complete job? For $10 each, they're probably worth picking up now.

---
Kathy
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case they disappear from Home Desperate in the meantime, how many mats did you figure you needed, overall, to do a nice complete job? For $10 each, they're probably worth picking up now.

Depending on what you wanted to do I think 2 should do it for basic mats, especially if you have a Westy with only 1 narrower bench. One full mat should do both front mats and another one could go in front of your bench, full size or cut-down. You could cut it in 1/2 and put an 18" strip in front of the bench and another in front of the galley.

I realize now that these will be about 1' short for me as I have 2 full-width 3 pass benches (9 pass tin top) but I'll try it out and see what I can do back there.

I will double check tonight if both front mats can be cut from one full 3'x4' mat. I did my test from a mat I had already cut down to 2'x4'.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't get around to going to Home Depot again 'till last night. they only had the display model left of the brown but said they were getting more in. I bought the one off the display. both front floormats can easily be cut from the same mat. because I had some bits left over from using part of a mat for my house I had a nice square to go between the seats too. Sorry for the image quality - iPhone at night!

Both floor mats fit:

Both cut out and intalled:

Passenger side mat (might still do some trimming):

Between the seats:

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a product called Fray Stop,
http://www.joann.com/search/_fray%20stop/

that is a glue. You can apply it to the cut edges if the bits keep falling off once it's done. If it is thin enough to sew, you could add some double sew seam binding to the edges, if they continue to fray, drop bits in your van.

tam
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping this won't be an issue with these particular mats as the carpet's embedded in a heavy rubber backing, not the usual foam where the carpet easily pulls out at the edges if you cut it. Even in some of the corners I cut when I pulled it apart the fibres just pulled apart, instead of the usual string of carpet yarn pulling out of the foam down the entire side. The factory edge of the original mat is a cut edge with no additional stitching and it's tough to pull anything out, even right at the cut. The carpet fibres just start to pull apart when you really tug, not separate from the backing. The texture of the rubber backing seems to keep it from sliding around too, though being cut to the right shape and a relatively stiff material probably helps pin them in place too.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, how is it holding up?

Thanks for the tip, read it before I bought my Vanagon and took me forever to find the "Home Depot Cheap Floor Mat" thread I knew I'd read!

I found some charcoal ones!
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/castlegate-mat-charcoal-3-feet-x-4-feet/964458

Would one of these cover the entire floor area in the back and/or bed in the very back? My van needs all new mats, debating which one(s). I needs so many things, trying to keep costs down so I can do more....

Kind of wanting something different for the main floor area, but again not sure what. The wood looks great in the 85 and older vans w/ the brown, not as sure w/ grey. Like the look of that go-westy rubber flooring, but allergic to rubber, so that's out. Linoleum always looks cheap, but I want something like that b/c it's easy to wipe clean when my kids spill something!

tam

geo_tonz wrote:
I'm hoping this won't be an issue with these particular mats as the carpet's embedded in a heavy rubber backing, not the usual foam where the carpet easily pulls out at the edges if you cut it. Even in some of the corners I cut when I pulled it apart the fibres just pulled apart, instead of the usual string of carpet yarn pulling out of the foam down the entire side. The factory edge of the original mat is a cut edge with no additional stitching and it's tough to pull anything out, even right at the cut. The carpet fibres just start to pull apart when you really tug, not separate from the backing. The texture of the rubber backing seems to keep it from sliding around too, though being cut to the right shape and a relatively stiff material probably helps pin them in place too.
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:

Would one of these cover the entire floor area in the back and/or bed in the very back? My van needs all new mats, debating which one(s). I needs so many things, trying to keep costs down so I can do more....

Home Depot and Home Hardware sell "semi-industrial" floor mats that are about 4x5; usually grey, with rounded corners and a rubberized back. They're pretty cheap. I think they sell them for entries to apartments and other commercial buildings. I find that one of them is just about the right size to cover the back floor (recalling from memory here, since the Westy isn't right here, but I think about the right length and slightly narrower.) Easy to pull out and shake, or put on the ground outside to stop tracking crud into the back.
tam_shops wrote:

Kind of wanting something different for the main floor area, but again not sure what. The wood looks great in the 85 and older vans w/ the brown, not as sure w/ grey. Like the look of that go-westy rubber flooring, but allergic to rubber, so that's out. Linoleum always looks cheap, but I want something like that b/c it's easy to wipe clean when my kids spill something!

tam

We inherited worn-out laminate flooring when we bought the Westy, and it looked awful. We ended up finding an offcut of really high-quality sheet vinyl at a Habitat for Humanity "Restore" store that recycles building materials. It's an all-over textured pattern, very tough, and a nice turquoise that happens to go well with our beige interior and striped upholstery. It definitely does not look cheap. Cleans up beautifully and easily; definitely an upgrade. As a bonus, the offcut was big enough that we have a second piece to replace this if it ever gives out. I suspect the vinyl came from an institutional job, like a hospital, or maybe BCFerries. Regardless, close to free, and recycling someone else's leftovers, is always a great strategy! Tam, you're in Vancouver, right? There's a huge "Restore" store south of Marine Drive in Vancouver, somewhere between Cambie and Main I think. You might want to check it out. Save the big bucks for car parts--things that you definitely can't find non-automotive or recycled/repurposed replacements for.

Which reminds me of my best Westy "stuff" tip for people in the Vancouver area. Daiso $2 store out in Richmond. This is the only Canadian outlet of a huge Japanese series of stores--imagine the Woolworth's (betraying my age here) of Japan. Almost everything in the store is $2.

The beauty of what they offer, particularly in the way of storage containers, little kitchen tools, etc., is that almost everyone in Japan lives in a space with not much more free floor area than a Westy has, with what North Americans would see as incredibly primitive and tiny kitchens, so many of their housewares are just the right size for the Westy. Check it out! I found some great plastic baskets, with hooks to presumably hang on shelves, that hang perfectly from the "rain gutter" in the Westy and allow tidy stowing of lots of those little odds and ends. For you, with two little guys, stowage stuff like that would be invaluable. Ikea's kids' department has some useful stuff, too--soft pockets that you can fold away and then hang up when your poptop is up.

(Sorry for the digression from the rug/floor discussion, but not sure that this warrants a new thread.)
---
Kathy

P.S. Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Enjoy!!
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home Depot and Home Hardware sell "semi-industrial" floor mats that are about 4x5; usually grey, with rounded corners and a rubberized back. They're pretty cheap. I think they sell them for entries to apartments and other commercial buildings. I find that one of them is just about the right size to cover the back floor (recalling from memory here, since the Westy isn't right here, but I think about the right length and slightly narrower.) Easy to pull out and shake, or put on the ground outside to stop tracking crud into the back.

We inherited worn-out laminate flooring when we bought the Westy, and it looked awful. We ended up finding an offcut of really high-quality sheet vinyl at a Habitat for Humanity "Restore" store that recycles building materials. It's an all-over textured pattern, very tough, and a nice turquoise that happens to go well with our beige interior and striped upholstery. It definitely does not look cheap. Cleans up beautifully and easily; definitely an upgrade. As a bonus, the offcut was big enough that we have a second piece to replace this if it ever gives out. I suspect the vinyl came from an institutional job, like a hospital, or maybe BCFerries. Regardless, close to free, and recycling someone else's leftovers, is always a great strategy! Tam, you're in Vancouver, right? There's a huge "Restore" store south of Marine Drive in Vancouver, somewhere between Cambie and Main I think. You might want to check it out. Save the big bucks for car parts--things that you definitely can't find non-automotive or recycled/repurposed replacements for.

Which reminds me of my best Westy "stuff" tip for people in the Vancouver area. Daiso $2 store out in Richmond. This is the only Canadian outlet of a huge Japanese series of stores--imagine the Woolworth's (betraying my age here) of Japan. Almost everything in the store is $2.

The beauty of what they offer, particularly in the way of storage containers, little kitchen tools, etc., is that almost everyone in Japan lives in a space with not much more free floor area than a Westy has, with what North Americans would see as incredibly primitive and tiny kitchens, so many of their housewares are just the right size for the Westy. Check it out! I found some great plastic baskets, with hooks to presumably hang on shelves, that hang perfectly from the "rain gutter" in the Westy and allow tidy stowing of lots of those little odds and ends. For you, with two little guys, stowage stuff like that would be invaluable. Ikea's kids' department has some useful stuff, too--soft pockets that you can fold away and then hang up when your poptop is up.

(Sorry for the digression from the rug/floor discussion, but not sure that this warrants a new thread.)
---
Kathy

P.S. Congratulations on the new addition to the family! Enjoy!!

Thank you, love my new van!

Thanks for all the tips and places to shop! Will try them all out!

I live right near Daiso so will be sure to take another look for the things you liked! Got to go there right when it opens, hate parking there! There's also a great authentic Asian food court upstairs if you're in the mood for lunch when you're there!

I checked out the flooring today at end of the roll, figured it'd be $20-30, but cheapest I could find was over $60 and I didn't like the colour anyway! Absolutely cold go for some 2nd hand stuff right now, might even have a box of left over laminate kicking around, it won't match, but will be free! They've got a well worn carpet there now, skip that!

And, I got the last Richmond Charcoal grey carpet today! Not, yet sure if I'll keep it, think I'd need 2 to really make that one work, but might just use it in the very back to keep junk off the bed!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Cool, how is it holding up?

Sorry, wrote a reply a while back but it vanished into the ether.

I cut these mats and left them in my project rig so they haven't got any real use yet but I'm sure they will stand up fine once I get back from camp and get the thing rolling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: