Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fan Resistor Connector No-Splice - Done with pics
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Fan Resistor Connector No-Splice - Done with pics Reply with quote

I understand that fan resistors for vanagons are no longer available but they are for eurovans, but the connector is different and you must reuse your existing connector.

Left to my own devices I would cut the wires closer to the old resistor and put a heat shrink butt splice on the three wires to the new resistor and call it a day. I have no experience in automotive (exposed to the elements) wiring and would like some guidance from this group.

How would you tackle this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by cellerdoor on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pins inside that connector are the same as in the EV version, you can push the pins out with either the correct tool, or a small screwdriver.

Then insert the pins into the new EV plug and away you go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part is on order and i should have it in a few days to see if the pins are the same.

I just messed around with the connector with a small screwdriver and the pins slide out easy. With any luck the new pins are the same and this will be easy (just need to label which wire is what pin).

Even if the pins arent the same I think the best thing to do is find the correct pins and replace on the new unit.

Thanks for the help. Ill post the results when the new resistor comes in.
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to doing this:

New resistor on right, need to swap connectors since the only resistor available is for the eurovan which is different than the vanogon:

I tried to see if the new spades would fit in the old connector (so I would have no splice) but I could not figure out how to release the spades for closer look. Resorted to nibbling the new connector to death.

Obvious that the new spades wont work, so if your doing this just cut the new connector off and save yourself the frustration. Old on left.

Due to old car paranoia, I carefully pried the old spades off to reuse on the new resistor since i dont know if I can find these. Are these common to find?

Just need to clean, strip, recrimp and solder for good measure.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you're sure that the spades aren't the same, in hindsight, would it have been better to just cut the wires, splice/solder/heat shrink the old and new wires together?
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Now that you're sure that the spades aren't the same, in hindsight, would it have been better to just cut the wires, splice/solder/heat shrink the old and new wires together?

Maybe, but then Id have a section of the old wire, and the casing of the wire was brittle and crumbling.

Knowing what I know now Id just cut the new connector off and had the time to source new spades that are the same as the old. Would have been a 10 minute job. The vendors should locate and include the new spades in the package if they could be located.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictorial. Here's somehting I am using on my DIY front air conditioning system instead of the VW resistor and switch: Toyota 4runner/pickup blower fan switch and resistor. Cheap at the pick and pull and has 4 speeds (plus off) as opposed to VW's three speeds.

BTW, I think that almost all 1980's to mid 1990's Toyota's (cars included) used the same resistor and a very similar, if not identical, fan speed switch.
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished.

Hope it works because I doubt I can return it. Took a while but I avoided using the old wires.

JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutorial on crimped connectors with some sources for getting terminals http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Terminals.html

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: