Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping with a Westy baby
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Camping with a Westy baby Reply with quote

Maybe this has been covered before, but thought I'd start a thread anyway....

Anybody have experience camping in their Westy with a child under the age of 2?

We have a 5 year old Kale (my adorable step son), and eloped while on a 3 week trip in the van last June (Coastal OR and CA). Well, two days after the wedding, we conceived our first child together! Yes....in the van. Sooner than expected, but a pleasant surprise for sure.

So, we have a little boy due to arrive in Mid-March, and I'd like to get out camping with all four of us this summer, if it's not too cold at night.

I thinking about setting up a "crib" area in the rear of the lower bed, and having Kale sleep on the front portion (he fits there nicely). Or, making a kids cot for Kale out of PVC for over the front seats.

What's your experience? I'm asking because I'm betting there are people with more experience with little children and Westies that thought of something I wouldn't.

Thanks,
Ryan
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a crib fashioned on top the side cabinets, sure you'd have to remove it for access but is nice and nearby but w/o taking up alot of space.

a front cot over the seats is great if your 5yr old is up to it..

one of the 1st things I'd recommend is a non-flame heater of some sort..
the best and most useful addition is warmth to not only extend your season a little but in MT I'd imagine to add comfort in the normal season as well.

you don't have to go whole hog $$$ for a new install. I've bought small RV propane furnace (there's install threads in here) for $50~100 from U-pull yards or anyone scrapping a old RV or popup trailer. (I just bought one today in fact for $50) LINK
they're easy to install (relative to ability I guess) and easy to repair/maintain at any RV shop.

BEst luck.. as far as the off spring. I can't offer any advice.

Last edited by danfromsyr on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both my kids have first camped with us in the van when they were only weeks old. At that age you just need to make sure you can provide changing clothes, food and shelter (warm) for them to be fine. The Westy is just perfect for all of these. Winter camping, a Propex will help but not absolutely necessary, big good blankets and cuddling will do it too.

There is a way to raise the bench seat and create a crib for the kids in the back to play during the day.

You might end up sleeping in the upper bed while your couple sleeps with the two kids in the lower bed. The older kid will get jealous if you don't do something like that for a while.

http://www.examiner.com/article/camping-with-young...d-clothing

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our oldest lived/traveled in the van for 14 months when she was 4 to 5 years old .. we had a blast ..

Our youngest lived/traveled in the van for the first 6 months of her life starting when she was 8 DAYS old ! again a great time was had ..

My advice .. take a few trips where the baby is the focus. No schedule to get to a certain National Park campgroung early,
no mom-sister-aunt to give advice, just low stress stuff. , alone in the wilderness.

And you'll see how fast you come up with your own tricks... get creative.
juanl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Our first is a wedding night baby: well done Smile

Camping in the van: we've only had our van since our boy's been about 1. For us, unlike madspaniard, cuddling doesn't work: our boy just wants to nurse and/or play all night long.

The key thing for us has been to make sure baby's warm. This is actually easier when they're little, as you can swaddle them up nice and tight. As they get older, they want to be more mobile, but they don't stay under a blanket very well, so a sleep sack over his PJs works pretty well.

When he was younger, he'd sleep in the crib area you mention. Worked well. Since then, we've had to get a small crib that fits in the area forward of the lower bed.

Also, if you can all fit with the tent down, that stays warmer than with the tent up.

Another wonderful benefit of the Westy: naptime! You can put up the curtains, have baby snooze down below, and take a breather yourself up top. Soooo nice to have shade in the summertime.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanl wrote:

unlike madspaniard, cuddling doesn't work: our boy just wants to nurse and/or play all night long.

Oh yes, I had my share of that too, we don't really sleep much when they are that little, whether you are at home or in the van

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone rig up something for some sort of rail for the top bunk? Or do you keep them down until they are older?

Could do the PVC pipe thing and put my 3yo on the front seat...

tam
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found that a pack-n-play fit perfectly on the floor between the lower bed and the front seats. Our son was fully contained during the night and we had no worries.

Also has the advantage of being able to use it outside as an outdoor playpen.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17747583?adid=2222222222...mp;veh=sem

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
juanl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Anyone rig up something for some sort of rail for the top bunk?

I made a pillow bunk for myself, and tried to get my boy to sleep up there with me, mainly in anticipation of baby #2 (on the way) needing to be with mommy. He didn't go for it last I tried. I'll try again in the springtime.

My friends with a EuroWesty had their girl sleep up top, no rail or netting, since their girl was about 4.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Anyone rig up something for some sort of rail for the top bunk? Or do you keep them down until they are older?

I used a small pickup tailgate net. Fixed at the bottom with the screws holding the matress snaps.
At the top bungies to the poptop push bar. Simple, cheap and worked well for a dozen years.

http://www.realtruck.com/tailgate-nets/
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroserge wrote:
tam_shops wrote:

I used a small pickup tailgate net. Fixed at the bottom with the screws holding the matress snaps.
At the top bungies to the poptop push bar. Simple, cheap and worked well for a dozen years.

http://www.realtruck.com/tailgate-nets/

same here, I have a pillow bed extension so that I can sleep up there (too tall for standard bed length) and a cargo net from Amazon that I rig in place.

rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

There is a way to raise the bench seat and create a crib for the kids in the back to play during the day.

How can this be done?!? Unfortunately, I have a raised engine lid to accommodate a Ford V6. Our current solution is an extra layer of foam to raise the bench seat to meet the rear platform (see pic below). It'd be nice to not take up trunk space with a bunch of bedding foam. I have been thinking of how to have the bench seat fold out into a raised position, but haven't had any good ideas yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input so far - it's helpful and encouraging!

I also just found a similar thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=337620&highlight=raise+bench+seat
maryloucb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3yo sleeps up top with one of us while the other one sleeps down below with the dog. It is much warmer down below, so it might work to have mama sleep down below with the baby and papa sleep up above with the older kid. We used an Eddie Bauer travel bed http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12319232 when he was a little older to keep him from rolling off of things.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlamb wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

How can this be done?!?

quoting another Samba member

1621 wrote:
One recommendation is to use the bench seat as a "crib" of sorts. If you lay it out flat and then fold the bottom portion up until it clicks (as if you were putting the seat back upright) it will remain in that position and create a walled section for the little guy/gals to flop around without falling off.

J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: with baby Reply with quote

OK - so mid march means that you'll probably be nursing through the summer. You and the little guy sleep downstairs, husband and 5 year old upstairs. Get a collapsible ladder to use getting up and down, way safer and more convenient than stepping on what ever and whom ever to get up top. During the day time a nice collapsible mesh sided playpen can double as a crib, either outside or inside the van.
Have fun and enjoy the kids - they don't stay small for long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
rlamb wrote:
madspaniard wrote:

How can this be done?!?

quoting another Samba member

1621 wrote:
One recommendation is to use the bench seat as a "crib" of sorts. If you lay it out flat and then fold the bottom portion up until it clicks (as if you were putting the seat back upright) it will remain in that position and create a walled section for the little guy/gals to flop around without falling off.

With it clicked up like that it is all set to fold back to the bench seat. I don't currently have a westy to check, but if a child was leaning against the 'wall' couldn't it flop down/forward to become the seat bottom and quickly deposit the child on their face on the floor of the van?
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
if a child was leaning against the 'wall' couldn't it flop down/forward to become the seat bottom and quickly deposit the child on their face on the floor of the van?

Yes
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroserge wrote:
Andrew A. Libby wrote:
if a child was leaning against the 'wall' couldn't it flop down/forward to become the seat bottom and quickly deposit the child on their face on the floor of the van?

Yes

If you just take a belt or a piece of rope you can tie the bed crib to one of the side hooks.

This will prevent the bed from rolling forward if the baby pushes forward.

During last summers camping, my wife and I slept upstairs while by 1 year old got the good bed all to herself.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the short before coffee response... go for it. I took beaumont camping when he was 11 days old and we have been camping a lot since. Not a big deal. Like being at home, only different. We didn't do anything special... at a super young age they don't move so that was no problem. Now that he is a whooping two, it is more difficult, he wants to touch everything. He is intrigued by the burners, knobs and buttons... Everytime we walk past the bus he screams bus bus bus bus bus bus bus, well shoo, so do I. Go for it! It is better than playing video games...

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: