Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE ***
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE *** Reply with quote

Hey all! So I typically live in the fatchick Beetle forum, but I bought this camper for myself for Xmas. I'm going to be asking lots of questions as I comb thru it so I've started this thread to put them all here. No stranger to air cooled VW's but these fuel injected type four buses are a totally new experience for me. In terms of rust this thing is solid, less the battery tray/passenger rear corner, which will be getting sorted out soon, among the top of my list.
de-hippifying the paint job is a must, but will be the last thing I do:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the wheel wells sport surprisingly little rust and original sage green metal:

inspected the rockers and the rest of the van with my weakest fridge magnet and unbelievably the dog legs and rockers passed with flying colors!

the propane tank is rusty but actually delivers propane to the stove!

the interior:

some of the cabinet veneer is chipped and coming up, as to be expected, but everything is intact. Fridge and stove both work! Cleaned up the pop-top as of these pics, some small tears in the canvas, seal needs replacing, all seals actually. This van also came with all the accessories: child cot, little table between the front seats, all the curtains, rear mosquito net, trash box/stool (no yellow bucket!) swivel passenger seat works well, all the electrical works, stereo works, wipers and washer works. I believe I lucked out, as I can drive and enjoy this thing while I pick away at fixing the small things and making it mine. I plan to get it back to the sage green color. Candidate for worst PO, someone in this buses' past painted the lovely forest scene on it with brushes and what appears to be house paint. It chips right off in some spots, revealing the shiny original sage green underneath.

The engine runs great! 2 liter fuel injected, surprised at how much power it has over the old 1600 in my beetle. no oil leaks, exhaust is rusty but all there, tin is all there, everything is stock with very, very little hack-job wiring/fixes. Brakes were wonky in front when I got it, the rotors were heavily pitted, so I had those gone through befoe I even brought it home. stopping on a dime now.
more pics/questions later...

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**

Last edited by ROCKOROD71 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you scored HUGE! Congratulations! Let the fun begin!
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the bus world Marc; I've been looking forward to seeing your acquisition. From what I can see, that bus looks to have a lot of potential providing the lower 1/4 paint job wasn't intended to hide rust repairs, and it sounds like you checked that out well before you bought. I think that you found a nice unit, and once you let a Westfalia into your life, and enjoy some magic moments in it, there is no turning back. All the best. Keep us posted on your progress.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see another late deluxe sage green Westy owner on here! Hello from the frozen Midwest. Hope you're pleasantly surprised once the brushed-on paint is rubbed off!
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: eying that Reply with quote

I had been eying that. Look sweet.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! That's one unique paint job! I'm up in Boston quite a few times a year! Best friend lives in Concord Square, off Tremont. If you ever see a Sage green Westy with Roo bars, stop me!

Get that thing up to speed, you've got all year. The Transporterfest in Brookline (and camping with us in Salem MA) is an event not to miss!

Do me one HUGE favor though... Before driving that thing...
Get the child's cot down off the top of the closet, and stow it where it belongs. There is a notch cut for it under the seat in the stowage area of the rear bench.
It'd suck to hear you had a small fender bender, but were impaled by the cot in a short-stop situation!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus Very Happy

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AB westy nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the exterior I was expecting a horror show inside but it looks relatively original and intact. Nice find!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words fellas. Westy nut- I too was expecting much worse when I went out to look at it, I honestly wasn't expecting to buy it, but wanted to start looking at Westies to get a feel for the various conditions and prices. I was surprised at how little rust this thing had on it underneath. The service records I got with it are from around the country, CO, MI, IL, VT, its been around! I will have to investigate where it started life out.
Obnoxious- I've been taking my bug to transporterfest in Brookline, always a good time, look forward to camping next year tho!
Jim Bear- did you actually go to look at it? The lady selling it had a few other people look at it, then I went to Germany for two weeks (made the pilgrimage to Wolfsburg, yes) and it was still there when I got back, which made me think it was junkier than advertised. I think the paint job kept people away. Personally I hate it, not my style, but I'll get it back to Sage eventually!

My first question is about the propane tank. It is working at the moment, but I'm wondering if I can keep getting it filled or not? Do I need to get updated valves and whatnot? can I get the tank tested somewhere? like an RV center? Would it just be easier to get one of those brand new Vanagon tanks GoWesty has? What do you guys think?

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would it just be easier to get one of those brand new Vanagon tanks GoWesty has? What do you guys think?

I thunk the same thoughts, and decided to unass the tank. I built a propane power strip instead.

you don't need to change or retest a built in tank. but it is a low utility item. the tank only feeds the 35 year old stove through 35 year old plumbing. if you find a good camping spot, then need a propane refill, you break camp, go to town, get a refill, come back and find somebody else in your major cool camping spot.

if you use a separate tank you can use modern appliances with built in igniters and brand new hoses, put the stove indoors or outdoors, and bring spare tanks. you can bum a ride into town to get a tank at the Circle K.

I'm using a Coleman grill stove

and a big Mr. Buddy

and a Coleman lantern

indoors or outdoors, depending on the need of the moment, on 25 foot hoses.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAL- saw your post on the strip...very cool. However I'm hoping to keep the underside tank there, whether I keep this one or get a new one. One future plan I have is to drop the coin on a propane heater for some winter camping, would love to run that and the stove off of the stock tank. Other camper owners have told me that the tank holds a decent amount. Maybe have to fill it once or twice a season, depending on use obviously. The tank also offsets some of the weight of having all the cabinetry on one side of the van I'm guessing, and I've got a trusty hibachi thats older than me if the tank ever runs out for cooking, and charcoal can be stored inside the van indefinitely. But you're saying I don't have to get it tested or anything? certified? Gas stations will fill that rusty tank up? Would it be a good idea for me to take it down and clean it up/ paint it? does someone sell repro stickers for these things? Mine is coming up and is barely readable...

asiab3 wrote:

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for more capacity, go dual on the tanks. mine had two when i got it. if one didnt have a leaky valve i would have been using both. it takes about 3 days of constant use for my heater to go through 2.2 gallons of propane on medium to low.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I will do some more research and figure out the LP tank. Next question: I have no interior panel on my rear hatch. Before I get one I'd like to know if there is an inner latch or door handle so you can open the hatch from inside the van. It seems like there is something missing there, I've tried searching the forum and classifieds, but haven't come up with much for my year. any clues?

asiab3 wrote:

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
ok I will do some more research and figure out the LP tank. Next question: I have no interior panel on my rear hatch. Before I get one I'd like to know if there is an inner latch or door handle so you can open the hatch from inside the van. It seems like there is something missing there, I've tried searching the forum and classifieds, but haven't come up with much for my year. any clues?

there is no stock inner handle, but it is definately a cool modification to do. you can fiddle with the inside of the door with it closed, and find out how it works, and then tie a tring just right, or a pull knob, and make it able to be opened from inside. a nice feature on hot nights when your head is at that end Wink

theres how to pics around here somewere....try like inner hatch pull knob or something....idk Confused

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Stu, don't know how I missed it in my search but I just found this thread if anyone else is wondering:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297994&highlight=rear+hatch+latch

seems pretty simple...

asiab3 wrote:

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its worth it. i had my interior panel off for a while, and had the inside latch figure out so i could do it while half asleep....it was nice. i didnt have time to put in a handle when i put my new panel on. i was test fitting...and promptly left it on cause i was to lazy to remove it for modification....Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy new panels here or just as easily make one. And yes, there was an optional inside release handle:

Also, nice to see another local bus. Hope to see you at some shows this season Cool
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for that pic walrus, i will have to be on the lookout for one of those now but i'll try to rig up something fancy in the meantime. Are you involved with LiMBO? Maybe we've met already...You will see me around I'm sure, can't miss this thing!

asiab3 wrote:

thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of LiMBO and I follow them on Facebook but that's really it. I'm sure I'll see you at Litchfield, Terryville and TransporterFest though. I have the blue and white bus with the roo-bars on the front. Can't miss me

I'm in Ashby and if you've hungout with the Air Cooled Cruisers Of Central New England people you've been up in that area.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walrus, how come ive NEVER seen that pic? Shame on you should have posted that long ago....Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: