Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE ***
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all the panels removed. mmmmm....mold. decided to leave that be till I can borrow some respirator/dust masks from work and do it properly. Allergic to mold, so not gonna screw around with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My old man getting a piece ready for new vinyl application:

We got 4 1/3 yards of white marine vinyl at Jo-Ann fabrics. They actually had a lot of nice stuff, even a close-to-sage green color I thought about for a second. It was $16.99 per yard. Used Permatex headliner and carpet adhesive 3 cans, plus the glue stripper added up to roughly $120.

Don't know why I didn't take more photos of the application, probably because it took both of us. Basically just cut the pieces with some extra overlay on the sides, sprayed them, and the panels, let it tack up for 5 minutes, had dad hold the vinyl up like a bed sheet while I got down and spread the vinyl out and eliminated wrinkles. then we let them sit pressed down in the basement with some weight on them.

^^overlapped the sides and stapled the vinyl into the wood after using adhesive to make sure these sides won't peel up. this piece sits in a frame anyways and will fit a little snugger with the vinyl on the sides. I left the top of this piece with the original vinyl on it...cuz I didn't buy enough! haha

Then we carefully put it all back in. used the old trim, had to gently hammer it back around the newly covered wood panels. the new vinyl made it a tight fit, really tight, same in the channels above the doors in the cab area. There was a lot of gentle tapping and me twisting in weird positions to get everything in place, cab panel was the most challenging, its so thin, but it came out solid! Finished off the dome light with some flat black pop rivets:

Done over Easter weekend, project took about 36 hours. Lots of sanding and stripping, getting all the old glue off was the most time consuming part. The cab panel not only had original glue, but like glue-gun glue from a poor attempt at putting something up there by a PO. Putting the new stuff on was quick, but then it had to sit overnight...and most the next day while I ate ham and drank beer. 1st day was largely running around gathering materials. Originally we thought we'd tackle a few other things but this ended up taking all the time, and could have taken longer in fact. I stayed up till 2am pulling off vinyl and sanding every night. Dad called me a slave driver on more than one occasion! Rolling Eyes Razz Getting it all back together was tedious, lots of attention to detail and trying REALLY hard not to break 40 year old trim pieces. Think it came out pretty good though, brightens the inside up. Only downside was that when I put everything back together my interior light above the stove mysteriously stopped working. Something happened and the light is just no good anymore. Don't get it, but throw it on the list!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That vinyl looks fricken nice on the headlined! I think Im going to follow suit on it. I was going to paint mine white but thats not a bad way to go right there.

Cool

As for your mold issue. Look up a ServPro in your area. We have a chemical called Sporicidin. See if that local franchise will hook you up with some to treat that mold. If not...

http://www.medexsupply.com/product_info.php?pid=51...QgodriAA0w

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tip Jason...I'll look into that. Definitely want to make that s#&% go away...for a looong time...like forever. That project is gonna be a PITA.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PIONEER1- thanks for the LP tank info. I'll spray it down but i'm pretty sure it isn't leaking, woman I bought it from had it for a year and never tried it out, and I have cooked about 5 meals and a few pots of tea on it, and there's still some left! Waiting to run it empty before I start taking it apart and painting it. Can you point me to where I might get those stickers? I will be sanding and painting the tank and want to reapply new stickers as well. Might even buy new valves and such for it, not sure till I get the thing on a bench....

asiab3 wrote:

Olddog52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you do the LP tank refurbish, this thread has some good links for decals and stickers for the project.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481705
VW Trike with 70 engine.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh good stuff, thank you sir!

asiab3 wrote:

ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I'm getting ready to order some repair panels for my rear corner. Was doing some reading on the A.H. Scofield website, and they offer the rear corner with an additional piece to compensate for a poor fit on the repop panels. Part 24A here:
http://www.ahschofield.co.uk/68-79-brp2.php
explained in 4th paragraph up from bottom here:
http://www.ahschofield.co.uk/about_cvw.php

will I run into this issue with the Bus Depot rear corner panel?
this one: http://www.busdepot.com/9556702
and is it the same piece as the WW panel? http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211813356BX

My other question is in regards to the panel size. do these corners go all the way to the seam? I need to replace all that, as well as the rearmost bit of the wheel arch, like this: http://www.busdepot.com/9556602

I would appreciate any and all feedback on these particular panels from people who have used them, cussed at them, scrapped them in disgust, etc. No need to waste good money if I don't have to. Thanx in advance!

asiab3 wrote:

Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the fit of those Schofield ones, but both the WW and Bus Depot links you posted are the same panel, which is made by klokkerholm. It doesn't include the seam, and its absolute shit. I would only buy it if the only other option is driving around with no corner.

The schofield parts are generally much higher quality, but email just to be sure that isn't the same part. I really regret not being patient and waiting until I found a different one.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Propane tank Reply with quote

Little late in on the thread, but our tank came with surface rust and needed a clean up

Found some "krinkle paint" in silver that goes on thick and looks like some kind of factory finish.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Propane tank Reply with quote

Little late in on the thread, but our tank came with surface rust and needed a clean up

Found some "krinkle paint" in silver that goes on thick and looks like some kind of factory finish.[img]
[/img][img]
[/img]

Your interior looks great!! I- on the other hand- will be templating and cutting /sanding door skin for a week (not my strongest suit.)

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a close up pic of the vinyl so we can see the texture. My headliner is starting to flake but the texture shows through on the glue underneath and I figured painting it would give me the closest OEM look.
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think klassicfab makes the rear corner but I am not sure Think . However when i bought my rear corner it was not a klokkerholm panel. might have to call busdepot to find out.
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool guard for the propane tank...mine would be caked with mud way to soon though....Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
I can't speak to the fit of those Schofield ones, but both the WW and Bus Depot links you posted are the same panel, which is made by klokkerholm. It doesn't include the seam, and its absolute shit. I would only buy it if the only other option is driving around with no corner.

The schofield parts are generally much higher quality, but email just to be sure that isn't the same part. I really regret not being patient and waiting until I found a different one.

The Bus depot corner is indeed the Klokkerholm, really, really kicking myself in the ass right now for now buying the complete VW corner they offer a couple months back for $139. Just didn't seem like I needed all that extra metal. Its on sale now for $299, just didn't realize the rareness of a good replacement panel for that corner. I thought almost all busses rot there so figured it was a pretty common piece. WRONG! Trying to contact AH Scofield but having phone issues, think I gotta go get a calling card, but my neighborhood is on lockdown and all businesses closed with this bomber deal, so I guess I'm waiting till next week to talk to them.

Anyone know another source of a good RH rear corner panel for a 77? Klassic fab doesn't have them listed on their site either.

asiab3 wrote:

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Thrasher22 wrote:

The Bus depot corner is indeed the Klokkerholm, really, really kicking myself in the ass right now for now buying the complete VW corner they offer a couple months back for $139. Just didn't seem like I needed all that extra metal. Its on sale now for $299, just didn't realize the rareness of a good replacement panel for that corner. I thought almost all busses rot there so figured it was a pretty common piece. WRONG! Trying to contact AH Scofield but having phone issues, think I gotta go get a calling card, but my neighborhood is on lockdown and all businesses closed with this bomber deal, so I guess I'm waiting till next week to talk to them.

Anyone know another source of a good RH rear corner panel for a 77? Klassic fab doesn't have them listed on their site either.

hows lockdown gonna work if they can simply send a email out? Rolling Eyes posting on a website could be just as bad as a phonecall, so why lock those down and not internet? some peoples logic amaze me.

sometimes, i have no idea whats actually going on, and its actually my logic that confuses me, when whats actually happening makes perfect sense. Wink

call gearson when you can, he will most likely be able to make whatever you need. just ask.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got an email from Gerson saying they DO NOT make those panels for the late bays. He directed me to Bus Boys. I will call them Monday to see if they are also rocking the Klokkerholm panel. Looks like it from their diagram.

Stu- I wasn't talking about phone lock down, just my cell company being unable to connect an international call. Called cust. service and everything. HATE AT+T. I live in Watertown MA, there's been gunshots and flash bombs going off less than a mile from my house all friggin day. They finally just got the guy...
Maybe things will go back to normal tomorrow, been marshall law around here for the last 24 hrs.

asiab3 wrote:

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Got an email from Gerson saying they DO NOT make those panels for the late bays. He directed me to Bus Boys. I will call them Monday to see if they are also rocking the Klokkerholm panel. Looks like it from their diagram.

Stu- I wasn't talking about phone lock down, just my cell company being unable to connect an international call. Called cust. service and everything. HATE AT+T. I live in Watertown MA, there's been gunshots and flash bombs going off less than a mile from my house all friggin day. They finally just got the guy...
Maybe things will go back to normal tomorrow, been marshall law around here for the last 24 hrs.

Shocked wow man, thats gotta make life interesting to say the least! literally just heard about that a few minutes ago on the radio about the arrest, so hopefully something works out. keep on breathing man! Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI **corner panel opinions** Reply with quote

Spoke to the fella at Buy Boys today. He said their rear corner replacement panel is NOT Klokkerholm...which is good, but it comes from China....which is bad. He said the only complaint he gets on them is some of them get a ripple along the bottom edge. I asked what gauge the steel was and got a "not sure"...
Anyone have any experience with the Bus Boys corner repair panel? Gerson suggested them to me. Its relatively inexpensive. $36. The complete corner top to bottom on Bus Depot is $300, but its VW. The only downside of that is that i don't need all the metal involved and would have to cut the piece i need out for welding. The upside is that I'll have a big extra pice of metal to offer up to The samba if anyone needs the rest of the panel! Very Happy
Thanks for any and all input you might have.

asiab3 wrote:

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI **corner panel opinions** Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Spoke to the fella at Buy Boys today. He said their rear corner replacement panel is NOT Klokkerholm...which is good, but it comes from China....which is bad. He said the only complaint he gets on them is some of them get a ripple along the bottom edge. I asked what gauge the steel was and got a "not sure"...
Anyone have any experience with the Bus Boys corner repair panel? Gerson suggested them to me. Its relatively inexpensive. $36. The complete corner top to bottom on Bus Depot is $300, but its VW. The only downside of that is that i don't need all the metal involved and would have to cut the piece i need out for welding. The upside is that I'll have a big extra pice of metal to offer up to The samba if anyone needs the rest of the panel! Very Happy
Thanks for any and all input you might have.

or to use for other small repairs as patch panels....Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu sed: "or to use for other small repairs as patch panels...."

I agree! I was staring at some of my extra beetle fenders yesterday thinking how I could cut them to make this godforsaken panel outta those! but if I could help somebody who needs the top half, I'd be happier with that! Keep 'em all alive, thats my theory!

asiab3 wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: