Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE ***
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE *** Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Furgo, thank you so very much, the diagram is great. I think I can get what I need now and have this as reference for the future, shopping around for a proper tube per factory specs.
My takeaway with these FI engines is that you have to really just go through them step by step when they give you these weird troubles. It is not particularly hard or difficult to understand but it is TEDIOUS. More so than a simple type 1 with a carb, where it is air, fuel, spark and go. On these it's like "oh, that one electrical connection that is buried under the plenum is a little corroded? COOL your engine runs like shit now"

Indeed Smile

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
In particular I was very naughty and drove this shitbox through an entire winter in Boston, where they not only salt the roads but use this liquid brine that basically melts everything it touches, including metal.

Ouch!

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Needless to say there is a lot of cleanup to do, its been slow going.
I'm sure you will get to the root of your problem, just keep knockin things off the list and keep posting in your thread, you are getting great results! See what happens when you get that TSII replaced.

Yeah, I've got another update, although it's slow going for me too atm. But I'll prevail.

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
PS- where in Europe are you located?

South Germany. Although I'm not German, I just happen to live there Smile

Decode your M-Plate
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE *** Reply with quote

Not a bad place to just happen to live! I have been to Bavaria before, Munich and Freiburg, just one of the best areas of Europe period.
At least you have access to VW Classic Parts, they won't sell to "Murica. Also Bosch has a classic parts division based in Germany, and they rebuild AFMs! I would puruse their site and contact them to see if they can help with some FI parts:

http://www.bosch-classic.com/en/internet/bosch_classic/produkte/produkte.html

You are in the holy land sir....(or ma'am, Laughing )

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE *** Reply with quote

It all balances out a bit... Smile

Yes, there is VW Classic Parts, which is very handy, and Bosch Classic (although I'm not sure if they rework AFMs), but unfortunately not the holy parts land FI-wise. As buses were never fuel injected in Europe (other than Sweden IIRC), they are even more of a rarity.

Thus the domain knowledge is rather scarce: you can't just take your bus to any shop for repairs or rebuild. In the German forum, where many of the best experts contribute, there is effectively one single thread for FI, which a handful of folks keep updating when they've got issues or questions on parts.

When it comes to sourcing parts, it's even more difficult: there is an equivalent of the Samba classifieds here, but FI parts come up only very rarely. When they do turn up, either on the forum or on the generic classifieds, then at astronomical prices.

Just a recent example: I bought 4 pieces of intake runner hose from CRP "Made in Germany". They are, however, not available in Germany (*), so I had to order them from the US. In this case the postage was only $10, so it was worth it, but postage of $50 (plus customs if you're unlucky) is not unheard of. On this rare occasion, I was also lucky that they were reasonably priced.

BTW, talking of Bosch Classic... regardless of where folks are in the world, I don't know why more people don't use their site. You can search parts by either VW or Bosch part # (automatic cross-referencing!), download datasheets and if you register your vehicle there it shows you all part numbers relevant to your bus and model year.

I really wished VW were as good as them with parts, either new or 40 year old. The VW Classic parts site is no match to that. And while I'm at it, the practice of obliterating all possible info from their database when a part becomes NLA is just... well, don't get me started Smile

In any case, regarding VW Classic Parts... I thought there was a site in the UK that did re-sell them to the Americas. VW Heritage perhaps?

(*) I did find a local vendor afterwards, who were selling at 3x the price I paid for the US-reimported pieces of hose, though!

Decode your M-Plate
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: KrustyKamper 1977 Westy FI *** UPDATE *** Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
if it's old an spongy try to replace it with whats there.

I use the breather hose you posted on all of my *GASP* brake booster stuff and have NEVER had it collapse.

that said, your link shows what, 15mm o/d which would be a bitch to neck down to 12mm...

if you want plastic, mk1-3 and some 4 had hard plastic booster lines, and the 12mm stuff will slide over it (I had to do this for a 16v swap)

the only time I have seen that stuff collapse is when it has been exposed to oil.

Skills, the hose there now is maybe a year old. It is still soft, I guess that is the problem? You can easily pinch it together by hand, so I am guessing when a lot of vacuum is applied it's not too hard to collapse it. Should the engine not be producing this much vacuum? Maybe this is a clue to my running issues, although I got huge improvement in that in the last couple of days. I still want to clean a bunch of electrical connections and inspect some relays before I take it on a long test drive, but it IS running through warm up and not dying on its own anymore.

The link i posted is for hose with an ID of 12mm, which is what I thought was needed in this application. perhaps I am mistaken? Maybe someone can correct me and let me know what size actually goes there. Even Mayor Ratwell's site is kind of sketchy on the details:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

It shows a short length of hose coming off the decel valve with an ID of 15mm, then hard tubing going down to the brake booster T, the hard tubing OD is 15mm, so it makes sense that the hard tubing fits into the short hose coming off the decel valve, and that the T ID is 15mm as well, though Ratwell says that info is not available.
Anyhow, my current set up is one long braided hose, I guess the ID is 15mm then, the breather hose. On the brake booster T it is attached like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

using a small metal pipe fitting. It fits snug into the T. So I guess I need a 15mm hose that WON'T collapse with the applied vacuum. Would wire-reinforced hose work? Something like this:

https://www.belmetric.com/wire-reinforced-hose-c-1...-9456.html

Really appreciate the response.

If you're still looking for the correct 12mm brake booster hose, it's supposed to be WIRE REINFORCED to hold vacuum, my guess is yours is not (like the crankcase breather hose) and that's why it's pinching inward. Reason I know this is because it's the same hose used on the autosticks for the control valve. It MUST be wire reinforced.

The VW part number is N 020 390 1. Any of the VW dealerships I believe can get it, I ordered some for the autostick not too long ago from my local dealer. There are also several online vendors who carry it:

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22967687-n-020-390-1.html

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/brake-booster-hose/n0203901/

https://www.europaparts.com/brake-booster-hose-n0203901.html

German supply used to carry the actual wire reinforced braided cloth hose but they don't anymore. However they do carry a replacement made in the US:
http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=17946

Of course this is all just from what I have read, I don't own a bus so I might be missing something.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: