Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Caster Bolt Tabs
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Caster Bolt Tabs Reply with quote

I have to replace the caster bolt tabs on the front framehead. I was told by a great VW friend that the tabs don't really do anything, they're just there to help adjust the caster. At first he recommended just adjusting the caster and tacking the bolt down. I didn't really like this idea, so he suggest some castle bolts with cotter pins and some other bolts, forgot the name already, so that it wouldn't move off. I didn't really like that either. He then suggested to get a thick washer and put that under the circular part and bend it, creating new tabs. That sounds like a really good idea to me. I was wondering though, what do the tabs actually do? Are they there to help adjust the caster once? How does it adjust if the circles only fit in the tabs a certain way? Thanks Ken for all the help and thanks to all who reply with help. Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tabs are need to hold the caster setting. If you need the front end aligned then you will need to move the caster bolts. Once they are tacked then you are stuck with that adjustment. The caster blots are off center from the center of the washer. When you turn the bolt the control arm is moved in or out from the center line of the car. The caster washers have to have the tabs to push against or they won't work. That is, you will have to easy way of adjusting the caster. Also, with out the tabs the alignment will get out of wack quickly. The washers will have nothing to hold them still. It you are going to weld then weld in some new tabs. Cut some off a car in the junk yard. Make sure the welds are strong because these take a lot of stress.

Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: