Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone Rent their Westy? Insurance question...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Anyone Rent their Westy? Insurance question... Reply with quote

I was wondering how people insure their prized Westfalia when and or if they rent them out or even loan them.
Thanks, Jeff
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd contract my own insurance agent and find out what he/she recommends Most policies standard policies forbid renting of the van. However a special policy could likely be made for rentals. However the government may want to get involved (bussiness license, taxes, safety inspection etc...)

I would go for the highest liablity protection, as the renter could do something really bad and that could get you sued.

For me, renting out my car is a no no. even if there is no crash or damage claim aginst me, I wont be able to control how that person drives that can damage the van (ie will the renter over rev it, run low on oil, etc.. The damage my not be apparent till much much later)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar thread....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538249&highlight=rent

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
VWaddict01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, renting out my car is a no no. even if there is no crash or damage claim aginst me, I wont be able to control how that person drives that can damage the van (ie will the renter over rev it, run low on oil, etc.. The damage my not be apparent till much much later)

^^This, plus I don't want strangers sleeping (or the other) on my bed. Shocked
2014 Jetta
(Searching for the next air-cooled project)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWaddict01 wrote:

If this van is a rockin'... Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: rental Reply with quote

Notwithstanding the van rockin' issue - I'm interested in this as well. If not for rentals, although that would be interesting, then perhaps as some sort of quid pro quo arrangement where EG someone from Europe or wherever could use a westy of mine and then I could use theirs later .. or something like that.
It would be nice to be able to fly out and back, drive/tour around and then not have to spend all the time driving back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: westy's Reply with quote

I'll trade ya Jeff!

Smile

B

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
seabright_sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rented my westy on two separate occasions to the same couple. We had an understanding that due to insurance not covering a "rental" that it was considered a friend barrowing. Obviously there was a high level of trust between us. They were a professional couple with income. And I'm not as broke As I was back then. So I don't think I'd rent out again. But my van is a road trip only vehicle and I liked the idea of getting her out on the road and bring I'm some needed cash. I think our agreement in case of mechanical issue was they cover towing through AAA! I cover repairs. They also paid for detailing after use which was nice. Second time they took it out they scraped the sliding door, it had to get reprinted. They took care of it right away, not through insurance. A bit of a bummer, but it all worked out.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not considering renting my own van. But I've been hoarding westys for some time now to start a rental company here on the East Coast. I get a call a week (at least) in the summer months about renting buying etc... I've contacted my own insurance company who I spend A LOT of money with, they insure my home, all 7 of my vehicles, my business property, my commercial liability, and they made me feel like a 9 year old- "you can't do that, it can't be done".
The ick factor is eliminated by buying cheap disposable linen and working with a professional detailer who gives me a smokin' deal...
Thinks about starting with 4 well equipped Westys. One air cooled Vanagon, 2 water cooled Vanagons, and a Eurovan.
For those of you who don't know, I run a VW repair shop in Nova Scotia, so servicing the vans would be my forte, and my lovely wife would be looking after the rental booking, cleaning, etc... The vans are to stay in the Maritimes, not NL or PQ or Ontario...
Jeff
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: westy's Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I'll trade ya Jeff!

Smile

B

Let's try camping with our families first...you always move so fast...
AdrianC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWaddict01 wrote:

Did you replace the mattress when you bought your van used...?
www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Wife makes sure the foam and covers are replaced... more ick factor. I keep my vans a long time, my Syncro Doka I've now had for almost 20 years.
Jeff
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hire a bussiness minded attorney to give you legal advice on the laws, regulations, and liability pitfalls that renting a van will expose you too. You really need sound legal advice, one bad lawsuit could ruin you. You got to be darn sure you are legally covered. Consult an attorney, in fact get more than one opinion from an attorney, it will cost you money to hire them, but that is part of the bussiness.

I think that we find very few folks renting out cars becuase of the tangled web of laws, regulations and the liability issues, you need a bussiness savy attorney to help you draw up all the legal protections and advise you. dont procede without doing this. You could loose everything if you are not fully protected.

remember you are not just renting a car, with ther worry of accidents, you got the issue of your kindof acting as a hotel, and a resturant. What if your sued for a bed bug infestation that ended up infesting the renters home after a camping trip? What if your sued for a claim the sinks water supply made someone sick? There is a entire host of things you need to consider when renting a camper besides regular vehicle accident coverage.

best of luck in your bussiness venture, it sounds like a very good idea, but it is ripe with legal pitfalls you need to protect your self from. advice from a forum is not going to be much help to you. do it right or not at all.
VWaddict01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianC wrote:
VWaddict01 wrote:

Did you replace the mattress when you bought your van used...?

No, but I did run a black light over it...
2014 Jetta
(Searching for the next air-cooled project)
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second talking to a lawyer so that you are sure to be protected in the long run. Also, ask about rental insurance with the vans clasiffied as RVs and not a car. In California I believe that our vans are classified by the DMV as commercial vehicles, same as 1/2 ton trucks are. That might make a difference, too. Good Luck!

Hans
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented mine out once while toying with the idea of making a small business out of it (4-5 vans $100+/day) I lent the van to a family as a "friend" (they left me their Audi TT) and if things went well, a gratuity would be much appreciated. Everything did go well, I got my van back in great shape and the family had a blast going on a family reunion camping trip in eastern Oregon.

The two things that made me pause later was just what you all are concerned about insurance and liability if the thing broke down leaving them in the middle of nowhere, but I just wanted to share with others the enjoyment of the road from a Westy captains seat like I have done for so many years. However there was another emotion that I did not count on being so strong (like the first time your daughter goes out on date) was not knowing where or how she was. I am talking about the van now,(my daughter is only 11) and I have not rented it out since oh and my daughter is not going to date until she is 20....

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted 4 insurance companies, not one is in the slightest bit interested in my business. Even though one I spend in excess of $10000 a year at one...
The legal issue I only lightly thought of. Maybe my lawyer and I should sit again.
It might be worth more to me to keep fixing and selling vanagons, that way I'm guaranteed an income from upgrades, maintenance and repairs, just as I've been doing for the past 27 years.
I'm just trying trying to slow down some so I can enjoy my relative good health.
Thanks for all the replies.
Jeff
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
I have contacted 4 insurance companies, not one is in the slightest bit interested in my business...

Have you tried working with an independent agent (not one who is captive with a big carrier)?

There are lots of carriers both US & off-shore who deal everyday with the less common risk management needs. These will be companies you have never heard of (no Geckos, Good Hands or Flo) but an experienced agent should know how to find them and assure they are reliable.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that as a private citizen asking an insurance to cover rental of unknown drivers is a big industry blank stare.

but how do those rental car businesses go about it?

if your rental acts is a legit business.. ie. Westyrentals.llc

and is it possible to ask/inquire if the renters personal car insurance will cover their driving another's car? and that when you rent to people w/o insurance (states/countries don't require it) that they take a personal car insurance in THIER name for the vehicle while they are travelling..
I think this is even how the ALAMO works.. but it's been 10yrs since I'd rented my 1st & last car. was $$/Day for the insurance only to find out that my own personal car insurance would cover me & the car while driving a rental..

in essence if I "Borrowed" your civic.. how do I know you have insurance anyways.. but my car insurance will cover me.. because it's not illegal to "borrow" your car, coverage follows..

the business contract is to collect the renters info, inform of their rights.. and inform of the pre-contract and return condition of the vehicle..

just thoughts not facts here... but interested to know more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to consider an umbrella policy to cover your house,shop,401k,etc..
My brothers kid got into a minor accident a couple years back and is getting sued. Their seeking an amount that is larger than his insurance
policy covers. If they can prove my nephew was acting reckless
there is a good chance that they will be awarded an amount that will
require him to sell off his retirement property.
I carry a 1 million dollar umbrella policy that covers my ass and had my brother had one he would have no worries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: