Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick welding question - replacing rear quarter panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Quick welding question - replacing rear quarter panels Reply with quote

Just got my replacement rear quarters from WW (bumper bracket section) and would like to know if I can just do the cut precision straight and butt weld it without using the butt welding clamps?

I am pretty new at this and want to do it right. I understand spot welding an inch or so apart and going slow but I do not understand the need to use the clamps, seems like I would have more chance of burn throughs with my experience level.

Anyone with a quick response would be appreciated, ready to do this now.

I have a Hobart 140 handler 110 machine with C25

Thank you

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can butt weld without the clamps. Use a vise grip, c-clamp, magnet etc. to hold the metal in place. Tack and move your clamps. You might even use a hammer and dolly to adjust the metal as you go if needed. This is strictly self taught amateur advise. Good luck

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, no advice like experience. Heck I am still in the fitting and cutting process Surprised I do not know why but the heater channels were easy compared to this....

Really appreciate what Everett has done here. Almost like he hand picked some of you. I am very thankful for all the help I get here.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you thought heater channels were easy I'd say you're good to go on any vw metal repair. I'm slowly working up the courage to tackle mine. Looked at your project-nice work. And yeah it takes lots of time for every step but just think of the money you're saving!

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far rider, I thought they would never come out. The spot welding removal bit is essential in getting all of the welds out for the channels. The problem I seem to have is accurate tacking spots on the butt welds, now I am just filling pin holes and trying not to grind off to much material.

The sad part is that some of these filling spots I get bigger holes with burn through, yada, yada. Almost done with this side and will finish it with a dremel grinding bit, not going for totally smooth on this one. Seems like the real skill is in the grinding and not so much welding for a rookie like me.

Once I get this done I will post some pics, the fender fits fine after a little massage at the weld point, not perfect but none of my work is Wink

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy a cheap set of panel clamps from Harbor Freight?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panel clamps help once you start putting on your tacks. They keep the metal straight with a uniform gap and together (to a degree) once the heat of the tacks starts to build up. If you can get behind the metal you're welding with some copper, those pinholes will be easier to weld up too.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on my bus for 2+ years and only recently bought butt-weld clamps. They ARE nice for holding flat panels in place, but not always practical if you can't access the back of the panel or if there is a curve (read: a lot).

As stated, cheap welding magnets are great, but I find a lot of it comes down to just being able to eyeball the alignment and adjust as you go. The first weld is the hardest if you can't clamp properly, but once it is on you can work around it.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Yes you can butt weld without the clamps. Use a vise grip, c-clamp, magnet etc. to hold the metal in place. Tack and move your clamps. You might even use a hammer and dolly to adjust the metal as you go if needed. This is strictly self taught amateur advise. Good luck

Magnets work good, but get to close to them with your MIG and it will distort the arc and F-up your welds.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the c clamps from harbor and probably everything else they sell Wink

The weld went well except for a couple of pin holes, fix em later, working on a crossmember and wheel well replacement now. Promise to upload a pic soon, I have a couple of pads -xoom and ipad out here and a droid phone for pics but I need to reread how to post pics.

I did spend some time shaping the bottom end of the quarter panel and I think it turned out well. I plan on replacing the crossmember, wheel well and then the other heater channel. Hopefully I am doing this logically.

therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hope I did this correctly, these are the outside and inside views of my first attempt at what I consider technical Cool at least for me.

Hope they are acceptable. As far as measurements go I used a level across the two matching holes on either side and made sure my distance from the firewall were exact, I also fit the fender on it and it all fit good. Pretty scary for me for the first time cutting off material like this, hopefully it will be okay. I did not fit the decklid because it is a little bent right now, there are some seam cracks I still need to weld but hey, it should be okay.

starved-artist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. After a few panel replacements, you won't be as apprehensive and your confidence will build. Smile

'67 Type 1
'08 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition

"For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." - Matthew 6:21
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you fit the fender on it, and all the fender mounting bolts mated up with the fender bolt holes, you should be good to go.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

staight cuts and whatever works to hold panels in place, getting them lined up. looks good in your pic.
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question. I have purchased a flanging punch tool and I am considering using flanges to weld up the new wheel section instead of butt welding it....

Any opinions on that approach?

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealfrogman wrote:
Another question. I have purchased a flanging punch tool and I am considering using flanges to weld up the new wheel section instead of butt welding it....

Any opinions on that approach?

I would butt weld it. You can grind that weld down, and if you spend enough time on it, you can make it undetectable. Flanged seams/welds will always be visible....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
therealfrogman
Samba Guitar Hero

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry, thank you for the insight! Will take the advise.

ateneo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therealfrogman,

Like you, I am also preparing to venture into doing my own body repair on my VWs. I have never done it before and so I am a bit scared.

I am slowing buying equipment like an 80-gallon compressor and some air tools. I know a little bit about butt welding because I have been practicing during my free time with my MIG welding.

Hopefully within a month or two, I will be set to start the scary part of this whole experience and that is I will start cutting through the body of my 1971 Westy.

I am forced to learn this myself after a bad experience with a restorer who did a bad job on one of my VWs. Though it was a bad & sad experience for me, I am trying to turn that bad experience into fueling my desire to learn how to do auto body repair.

ONce I start working on my VW, I will post pictures of my progress (or blunder) and hopefully get tips from kind hearted & helpful VW hobbyists

I found a restorer who seemed to be good in giving tips. Here is his forum:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543445
Dresden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to do this same thing on the driver's side, thanks for the pics frogman! I'm also a visual kind of guy so this helps a great deal. I've welded a lot, just not on cars and thin set metal they're built out of, so the thinner metal has me a little apprehensive.
Bntbrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most welded on panels should overlap 50mm. Some people don't like doing so but it makes it easier to align, esp. if there are holes that you can overlap to use for lining up.

I worked in a production autobody shop so I couldn't buttweld panels if I wanted to. Overlapping them you will be able to weld with plugwelds and it will be easier to align, weld, and dress.

Use putty or filler to smooth out your panel like any other part of your repair. If you take some reasonable time you wont notice it. If you just seam seal it you can see it.

Also look for factory seams, if you can find a breaking point drill it out and go from there. Drill out or cut off and leave enough to overlap a couple inches. U

Use weld through primer on your cleaned surface, align them and clamp them. You can also use self tapping sheet metal screws to line up and hold.

Butt welding created localized heat if you run a straight bead. Weld an inch or so and then move to the other side to allow it to cool. Then return back and forth. Itll help keep the panel from moving if you buttweld it.

www.DIYSeattle.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: