Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Westy project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't even get them to run long enough to sync them. Spent today pulling them back off and going through them one more time. Reset the floats, checked the gaskets, looked for dirt and I put them back on. Got them to idle this time, but the transition from idle to WOT is full of stumbling and dying. If I can nurse it through the transition it runs really nice at higher RPM's.
There's just a little occasional cough at idle now, but I have to figure out the transition issue.
And the throttle cable is about and inch too short Rolling Eyes
This thing is draining my life force away one frustrating hour at a time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice the accelerator pump squirters seemed like their streams were weak and puny. Maybe I should order some of the zero bypass valves. maybe they're clogged. I cleaned them very very well, but who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone try to solder the bypass valve shut to make their own zero valve? Seems like it would be simple.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all back together and once again parked in my driveway. The new Pertronix SVDA distributor made a huge difference and I'm still working on getting everything dialed in. Right now the acceleration is smooth, but a little flat. I think the SVDA needs more vacuum than one IDF can supply so I'll tap the other carburetor and run a T in the line.
Would a larger diameter vacuum line help or worsen the situation?
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Haven't updated in a while so I'll catch you up on my progress. I ended up replacing the HPMX throttle bodies with real Webers as the throttle shafts were leaking vacuum right around the linkage for the accelerator pump arm. Took me forever to find it. I ended up using a makeshift flow bench in the basement and used a small vacuum cleaner to draw air through the carburetor until I found the leak. Finally the idle air screws actually do something.

My lovely upholstery wasn't UV stable and the tops of my seats have turned to dust where the sun hits them. Three years and it's toast! I've pulled all the seats out and I'm in the process of sewing up some new covers, this time in UV rated material. This will give me a chance to fine tune the frames as well. The rear seat-back was slightly too wide and caused the hinges to rub against the arm-rests and marred the fabric. I'll narrow the back by about 1/4 inch before I reupholster it. The rear package try cushion was about a half inch too long and made closing the rear hatch a little tough so it's getting bobbed as well.

I'll take some pictures of my progress.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Built a new table for the Westy. I think the leg might need some improvement.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Looking good Derek!!

I thought those legs were centered originally. Still not super stable but still...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Nothing original on this bus! I ended up putting the leg on an angle so it would fold neatly behind the table. Moving to the front edge gives more leg room for the bench seat and it doesn't seem too wobbly that way.
I'll give it a season and try something different if it seems too unstable.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

New materials on the seats, new table, kitchen in. Looks nice I think!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

I wasn't getting enough pull from the throttle cable so I crawled under the front to take a look. after I wrestled the bellypan down, I saw that the monkey arm was bent at a funny angle as was the gas pedal. I straightened them out as best I could and managed to get it working well enough to get WOT, probably the first time ever since I've owned the bus.
Holy Schlitz this thing has some power now! I've never driven a VW bus that could peel out, but this one does now. I always thought that big 2110 should have made more than it did, and I finally got it right.
I'm taking my son to the Arlo Guthrie walk in Great Barrington Ma. this weekend and we're also going to hike a few miles of the Apalachian Trail. The bus will be perfect for both occasions.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Is that laminate on the wood or stain? Love the way your interior turned out. I like your custom fridge/cooler thing. Id like to do something similar to mine. How did you secure the unit to the bus? Is that a cooler or fridge?
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

It's a simple refrigerated cooler. 12 volts and it drops the temperature inside about 20 or 30 degrees. It also has a 110 adapter.
The finish is something I concocted to get a very specific look. I used very diluted latex paint in three different colors (white, grey and tan) and applied them like stain. Dry brushed the color on, wiped off the excess. Let it dry and then applied the next color. some of the colors just got the driest of brush strokes to simulate wood-grain. In the end, you can still see the actual wood-grain of the Baltic Birch but it has a very high end laminate look. Finally it was coated with a water-based Poly and polished with some extremely fine sandpaper. It looks even better in person, I think.
The kitchen box is attached with a bolt through the bulkhead behind the passenger seat, but I'm going to add some button leg bases and fit them into holes in the flooring as the one bolt isn't quite enough I think.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Almost forgot. I also installed a 110/USB inverter in the kitchen Cabinet, but I haven't wired it in yet. I'm waiting until I install an auxillary battery.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

O I like that, Id like to build something similar. Id have to read into wiring up a fridge. The wood working part should be pretty easy. I don't think id every have a color scheme like your but I really like it.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Still battling vacuum leaks. I used some fat gaskets on my intake manifolds and have come to realize that since they are mounted with only two studs, the extra fatness allows a tiny amount of rocking, which causes some small, tough to diagnose vacuum leaks. Taking it all apart and waiting for the UPS dude to bring me some thinner intakes gaskets.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Discovered one of the little silver washers (aluminum?) that seal the accelerator squirters was beat up and likely leaking. Filed it flat and smooth and most of my popping and hesitation went away. Still think the 155 mains are a tad too rich, so some 150's need to be ordered.
Put a good 300 miles on the old girl and found a few more issues. The gas pedal broke in heavy traffic on the way to Litchfield and we had to rig it up with some self tapping screws. When we got home I ordered all new everything for the accelerator. New pedal, Butty Bit's monkey arm and rod and a new accelerator cable.
I did install one of those groovy barefoot pedal covers, just because it's been on the bench for the last few years.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

I remember those back when, I went around Barefoot!
Tcash
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:

New materials on the seats, new table, kitchen in. Looks nice I think!

That is a beautiful interior. Great job! I love the piping accents. I had not thought about that detail yet. Thanks for the idea.
Really great job.

You've inspired me to sew the soft goods on my Bus myself. I have far too much sewing experience making backpacking stuff. I was going to buy the pop top, but I'm going to have to make so many other pieces anyway, I thought it would be cool to have everything match, so..... only one way I can have that Smile

Thanks for sharing your bus.

My 1968 Campmobile
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

X2, interior is sick!

Sorry about your carb problems.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: