Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is my starter going bad?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiveFreeOrDie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Is my starter going bad? Reply with quote

When I try and start my '86 vanagon, it is becoming more and more tired. I can't seem to pinpoint where exactly what needs to be addressed. When I turn the key there is a slight hesitation/pause then a start. This is becoming more and more frequent. Is it the starter switch, the starter itself of is the battery becoming tired?

Cheers!

Andre
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is my starter going bad? Reply with quote

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
When I turn the key there is a slight hesitation/pause then a start. This is becoming more and more frequent.

Mine was doing this too (and that's long after replacing/cleaning the grounds). Replaced the ignition switch as a first troubleshooting repair (easier to get to and cheaper than the starter) and problem solved.

However, I initially tested the switch and it proved to be going bad so I went ahead with replacement. If you wish to test it before replacing, click here for instructions.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In wet climates like a trip to Minnesota or PNW mine seems to struggle a bit. I was guessing it is a weak ground, but it has never not started so I haven't checked into it.
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, good chance your switch is going, especially if you had some hard-starting (prolonged cranking) in the past. If you have some odd headlight issues and/or dash lights not always coming that'd be further evidence to suspect the switch. The juice for the starter runs through that switch so lotsa cranking can start to fry it. I replaced mine after a once-in-a-while-dead-van scenario and also put in one of Jay's (thatvwguy) hard start relays. Now the ignition just triggers the starter which gets all it's juice directly from the battery (and seems to spin a little stronger), not via the puny ignition switch power-bottleneck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on adding a hard start relay. Some have said it's a band-aid fix for the starter, but I see it as good preventative maintenance for your starting system. I went with Thatvwguy as well and was very pleased.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: