Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is an Audi really a VW?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is an Audi really a VW?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Undecided
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

Had a fun day yesterday. I got tapped as a "guest mechanic" at a shop that usually has five guys and is down to two. Got to wrench on something I never thought I'd work on, an Audi R8.

Way I figure it it's a wildly overpowered Baja bug. Oops! I'm posting in the wrong category already. Embarassed

The freaking Audi has more carbon fiber than a combat jet. A whole bunch of it has to be removed to replace the exhaust system.

We replaced a perfectly good stock exhaust system with an aftermarket piece they tell me costs more than any of my VWs.

I've seen VW / Audi logos on enough parts. Is an Audi really a VW? Laughing

The sequel will be "Is an Audi still a DKW?" Laughing

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

No

A VW is a VW
A Porsche is a Porsche
An Audi is an Audi /thread

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
No

Maybe I should have led with the 500+ horsepower Super Beetle these lunatics are building. Very Happy

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

Is a Plymouth or a Fargo a Dodge?

Is a Lincoln or a Mercury a Ford?

Is a Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Chevrolet a GM?

They are all the same family so I am going with Audi, Porsche and VW as being all in the same family too.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

But the R8 has a Lambo engine in it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

The Rabbit used the Audi Fox engine, the 924 used the Audi 100 engine, the 924/944/928 used the Audi 4000/5000 transaxle and the Beetle rear suspension...
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

Is an Audi really a VW? Not much, the same way:

a M.A.N is a M.A.N;
a SEAT is a SEAT;
a Bentley is a Bentley;
a Skoda is a Skoda;
a Porsche is a Porsche;
a Ducati is a Ducati;
a Bugatti is a Bugatti;
a Scania is a Scania;
a Lamborghini is a Lamborghini

...but, you will find that some Scania and M.A.N parts are just the same, a VW relay on the Porsche, a Skoda part on a Volkswagen. A tool is a tool.

There was a time, on a Bentley you would find a General Motors gearbox and a Mercedes-Benz gearbox on a Porsche. That, makes much more of a difference but very few know that for some time, Land Rover was pressing body panels for MINI and BMW for Porsche. At the end of the day, there are folks that even go to the trouble to de-badge their vehicles...

But back to the R8, all chassis are made in Germany at the same Audi factory, both for R8s or Lamborghini Gallardo/Huracan. It's just a product and business is business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

VW owns them all now, but when you say "is it a VW" you are asking about the car's lineage and badging and somewhat the components, not the corporate ownership.

Replacement parts were made when VW and Audi were joined at the hip, and carried both logos, whether they were usable on both models or not. It was probably a legal entity issue, not parts commonality.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

don't forget NSU

The Audi 50 was built by Audi NSU Auto Union AG at the former NSU factory in Neckarsulm, and at the giant Wolfsburg plant by Volkswagen. it was designed by NSU designer Claus Luthe and also sold as the VW Polo...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

From a technical perspective, it seems to me it's the other way around. Modern VWs are Audis.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

All I know is, a Bus has a Porsche engine and a 914 has a VW engine.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

VW wouldn’t be here without the K70. 😶
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

They're assembled in Brazil.

Still German engineered ?

I'm so confused ...

stay safe ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

If you worked at a VW (any) dealership and got INTERNAL pricing at the Audi dealership, you would think the same as Volkswagen AG. It is in the same family of vehicles just as someone said earlier a Pontiac is a General Motors. An Audi is a Volkswagen unless they sell the company to Tesla. Then the old ones are still VWs and the new ones will be called something else.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

Audi, VW, & even Porsche share several platforms & the parts interchanges are significant.

A4,A6,& Passats were on the same platform & all three even used the same windshield.

The 1.8t was interchangeable from the a4, to the Passat, to the Golf/Jetta/Beetle & even the TT.

The rear driveshaft is the same on the Touareg, Q7, & the Porsche Cayenne.

A Porsche Boxster shares a transmission with a FWD Passat/Audi. This means that you can easily stuff an Audi/VW 1.8t, 2.7, 2.8 into a Boxster

Ironically, a brake vacuum pump from the Porsche dealer is $100-$150 cheaper than it is through VW or Audi, using the same part number.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

A number of years ago a fellow I knew will bought a 911 and as part of the tuneup he ordered a new fuel filter from the local VW dealer. When it came in the price was $350. After he paid for it the parts guy told him “Next time just order one for a Rabbit. Same part number but it’s only $75!”
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

Audi drivers are the worst. They drive like they're trying to prove something.

My brother in law owns a high end repair shop and he drives an Audi station wagon. He said that only a mechanic like him should own an Audi because repairs come often and are expensive.
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

The Passat drives better has more standered items , the car is more comfortable then the A4 Audi

It is also half the price with double the spec.

But yet its built on the same platform, has the most common parts and run the same engines / gearbox.

So if you ask me No the VW is better then a Audi anytime.

And before you ask, yes I have owned both, and hate a Audi, but love a Passat.

OMO

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

Since I can't find anywhere else to post this, I suppose here is as good as anywhere.
Super rare Audi DKW for sale, on a dealers lot. Needs total resto and parts do not exist. DKW became Audi, and if Audi's a expensive VWs then this is a VW too. claimed 14k miles, solid original and complete. The first pic is stock photo, on the Pittsburg PA dealers site, scroll r/l for pics. Asking 3k$

https://www.northhillsautomall.com/details/used-1964-audi-dkw/74476202

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd love to restore this, engine swap anyone? The parts hunting would be tough, you'd have to fabricate everything!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is an Audi really a VW? Reply with quote

Ugly as heck but very unusual! It's worth doing something with just for the "What the heck is that?" factor. In the same class as a Izetta, NSU Prinz, Hillman Minx or Nash Metropolitan. Would I pay the asking price? Not in a hundred years! That's a $500 car in my opinion. I don't care how rare it is, there is virtually NO market for it!

If it ended up in my yard it would get a 1600 Rabbit engine (diesel if I could find one), new tires, re-chrome the bumpers, the bodywork cleaned up and repainted, re-upholster those seats, clean the door pads... done! Then I would take it to all the local car show and shines for a conversation piece.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: