Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 camper rust repair
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last thread was hugely helpful with a couple parts of my restoration! I took your welding tips to heart and actually saw a huge improvement in my welds.

I'm going to be tackling my dogleg next week, any tips for removing it? It doesn't look like its spot welded on along the sides in your pic, but those edges don't look like you sliced them... I've been staring at it trying to figure out where to get in with my angle grinder.
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Your last thread was hugely helpful with a couple parts of my restoration! I took your welding tips to heart and actually saw a huge improvement in my welds.

I'm going to be tackling my dogleg next week, any tips for removing it? It doesn't look like its spot welded on along the sides in your pic, but those edges don't look like you sliced them... I've been staring at it trying to figure out where to get in with my angle grinder.

Thrasher I started at the b-pillar and ran vertical leaving the lip to clean up after. I then ran along the wheel well staying as close as possible till I hit the a-post. At the a-post I just cut straight in to get the biggest chunk out of the way. I left the piece the floor sits on till I put the floor back in to set my height. The fun part comes removing the remaining lips as you will have grinding dust everywhere. I like to use a full face filter like the one here
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/PPESaf...9&rt=d

I will also where a welding beanie to keep sparks out of whats left of my hair. Hope this helps and good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrstp wrote:
Thrasher I started at the b-pillar and ran vertical leaving the lip to clean up after. I then ran along the wheel well staying as close as possible till I hit the a-post. At the a-post I just cut straight in to get the biggest chunk out of the way. I left the piece the floor sits on till I put the floor back in to set my height. The fun part comes removing the remaining lips as you will have grinding dust everywhere. I like to use a full face filter like the one here
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/PPESaf...9&rt=d

I will also where a welding beanie to keep sparks out of whats left of my hair. Hope this helps and good luck.

That's what I was thinking, but you lines looked so clean I was thinking I'd missed something. That does help, thanks! And I always use a full face mask when I'm grinding Smile
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrstp
Im curious if you are going to make the floor patch that has the big indention in it. If so how will go about making the indention. I have to make some of the exact same repairs.
Thanks

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
Wrstp
Im curious if you are going to make the floor patch that has the big indention in it. If so how will go about making the indention. I have to make some of the exact same repairs.
Thanks

In the front? He did in the last thread he posted, but you can also just buy them from Klassicfab.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed it in the other thread. I ve been confused by klassicfab as far as what they do make and dont make. Plus I only a small section. Thanks for the input though.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hvost2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another masterpiece. Thank you for your efforts. Please keep posting, it's very inspirational. Great help.
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
I must have missed it in the other thread. I ve been confused by klassicfab as far as what they do make and dont make. Plus I only a small section. Thanks for the input though.

Gerson's panels seem to develop faster than his website. Send him a PM and he will let you know he does or doesn't make something and the price. But if you don't like the price then don't say anything because some cheap bay window owners have scared him away in the past Evil or Very Mad .
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked with Gerson on some items and he had said he wasn't making them anymore and had seen other folks say that he had stopped production of some of the later bay items due to people not wanting to spend the money. I hate that because I have not had good success with the cheaper made products. You spend more time trying to make them fit than the savings is worth.

But I do understand his side as he is in the business to make money and if product is not selling than no need in making it.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
looks good buddy! but, i got to tell ya, after your last thread, once people know what you can do it appears you are only a rock star once.

i stopped posting stuff about rust repair. now, i just answer a bunch of PM's or emails asking what to do.....

don't know, guess i am just getting bitter in my old age...

again, killer work. and i know what it takes to do it right

I am glad for any and ALL the posts on rust repair. I need the inspiration, up to now, I have only done bondo work.

I have a welder and look forward to the courage to use it someday.

It looks like it takes lots of time to aquire the metal shaping and welding skills needed. you guys make it look easy, but I know its not.

keep up the inspiration and don't get discouraged!
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the inner b-post panel prepped and ready to weld in. I dilled a couple extra 1/8" holes to pull the panel out with klecko's while welding.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After a little grinding all that's needed is some seam sealer.

I also realized that Bill had a nice funky green floor panel for me to use so no need to make the front floor panels.

Gotta love these Gerson panels as they fit so nice.

A little bit of trimming and prep before welding in.
While the paint dries I moved onto the splash area and looks like some of the top hat will need repair.

I like to have a couple areas going so when the I wait for welds to cool I have something to do so while I weld in the floor I will continue on the splash repair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn love watching good work Applause
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous. I have GOT to find some time.

1973 Westfalia

'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
Roman Carter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more progress?
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craftsmanship is not dead...seeing work like this confirms my decision NOT to attempt my own body work. i'd rather pay someone who really knows what they're doing. and no, i dont mind paying good money for good work.

Resto thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549162

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman Carter wrote:
Any more progress?

Sorry bout the silence I have some pics just haven't found the time to post. I have a long weekend coming up so should get a good amount finished up and posted. Thanks for following.
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrstp
Do you use weldable primer for the area's that are going to be behind and unable to paint? Sorry if this has been asked already.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crownline wrote:
wrstp
Do you use weldable primer for the area's that are going to be behind and unable to paint? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Crownline I use 3m's weldable primer.
wrstp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the right front floor panel welded in and of course the funky green metal fit real nice. The only areas I had to work a little was where the indentions meet. The gerson is not as deep as the stock but with a little heat from the tacks the 2 pieces come together nice.

Well with the next panel I wasn't so lucky so I began by cutting it apart. Not real sure what's going on with these panels but I have found if you cut them apart and piece them back together they can be saved.

Once apart I started fitting each piece and found the biggest issue is the inner is to short.

The upper part of the inner is very usable so I cut the lower just before the bolt holes. I took some reference measurements from the original holes before removing. I kept the cut in a straight part of the panel to make it easier to add a piece later.

I also started fitting the upper panel and kleckoed it in place. Again not a bad fit.

The outer needed some reshaping at the b-post but kleckoed in place it fits nice.

Now all I have to do is weld them back together. I plan on eliminating the nasty seam where the seal hits by butt welding the 2 pieces. I will also prep and paint the panels before final welding.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: