Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Chopped my top
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chopped73beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: I Chopped my top Reply with quote

I wanted to hear advice from those who have chopped there vw top
I am in the progress of chopping the top 4" , I followed an vw mag article for the most part.
I want to know what the best way to maintain a uniform arch is on the roof toward the rear of cut through. Should I make wirewforms . If you look closely you'll see the rachet strap I've used to squeez the body together to manipulate the arch. It's under tension. I can make relief cuts near the rockers but not sure what's best.

I need Ideas from those who have done it. I have englishwheel, tig welder and Shrinker stretchers. Pictures are coming

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by chopped73beetle on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
chopped73beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what I'm doing....
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far.
I would suggest looking around here
http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=f68829bd7f45bc949599b40aa4af0a4b&f=5

Make sure you have a plan for the side and rear glass. St least in PA you cannot use plexi.

DWP
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BEST way?
Use a second roof!
Piece your existing roof back with the added strips just enough to get the posts lined up correctly, cut the second roof as long as possible to the front and rear glass openings as well as out to the side just to the body line.
Then cut out the center of the chopped roof to match the donor roof "insert".
Overlap the donor panel if you must . . . extra points for butt-welding!
Since all the welded seams will be out towards the perimeter, your roof then will have a nice curve to it instead of having to deal with blending all those welds/strips across the center of the roof.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of brazing rod would show you good curves. Question
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chopped73beetle wrote:

I think I know what I'm doing....

Not that I've ever used one, but....

Aren't the wheels supposed to be 90 degrees from how you have them?

Dan
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have only a dozen chops under our belt so we are not pro's but...It looks like you are just chopping the front and not the back. This will be difficult at best to recreate the natural even curve of the drip rails. If you look at a stock bug from the rear, the drip rails have an outward peak at the B pillar.This peak has a horror effect when just chopping the front and not the entire roof.

I have learned from experience that using as much of a full center piece is so much easier to get straight rather than welding all up and around the center of a top. If you want, you can always loose the drip rails as some customizers do, but it's not necessary and can look funny.

Here is a link - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight= to a bug roof that has some of the similar cuts you have already made and may give you some insight. Just remember the B Pillar is the enemy. The roof is taller and wider at the Pillar which affects the rear quarter window shape. Look at many chops and then look at the rear quarter windows.

PS. The english wheel direction is usually dictated by whats being wheeled. Obviously you would need to rotate your wheels 90* if you were wheeling a 59 Buick roof. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: