Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
salmonjessi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

When reassembling the valve cap ends, it cracked. Ideas on where to find replacement?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

Bummer. It doesn't look like VanCafe or GW sell that part. The break does look like something that JB weld would be perfect for. As to why it broke, was the valve core cockeyed or jammed on something or was one screw tight and tightening the second broke it? Misassembling it again will break either a new one or a glued one. Get both screws close to snug before tightening either one.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

Bummer. But someone has that (used) part.
Probably should keep your valve stem matched to your valve seat, if you can replace only that part.

Is it possible the valve seat was screwed in past the “off” position? Probably good to set the flame setting stem In the middle before tightening those ears.

Good for you posting that oopsie, now people know, and it would be good if we figure out for sure how it happened. It could have been broken by something falling against the knob sometime in the last 33 years.

If closing the valve breaks an epoxy’d crack, a little gas could leak there with the valve closed. Id be leery of a repair there. But if I had to repair It I’d pot it “real thick” there.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
salmonjessi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Bummer. It doesn't look like VanCafe or GW sell that part. The break does look like something that JB weld would be perfect for. As to why it broke, was the valve core cockeyed or jammed on something or was one screw tight and tightening the second broke it? Misassembling it again will break either a new one or a glued one. Get both screws close to snug before tightening either one.

Yeah, broken from my misassembly after cleaning...not paying attention. I had the left valve core in the right housing. I was only being mindful of the 12 o’clock position, rather than noting differences in R & L valves during reassembly. Some bind when screwing it in and *pop*, followed by cussing myself at such error.
Note: if there is resistance, somethin’ ain’t quite right.

I was able to find a replacement from someone who removed the camper setup from their westy (WHY?!?....and yet so grateful!!). Reassembled today and working beautifully.

Thanks for such a helpful write-up with pics!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

Good news!

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

The mentioned Hy Heet Graphite Grease is not an easy to find item.
It is apparently used to lubricate bearings in high heat situations.
Small containers are almost impossible to find and once found is most often weeks away.

One of the things that I noticed reading the "How To" in this thread mentions that the gas orifice was clogged with globs of old grease.
This tells me that maybe grease or vaseline really isn't the answer to lubricating the valve.
Will not this new grease simply over time clog the orifice yet again?

Plus, there is no need for a high temperature lubricant at the valve. The gas flowing through the valve is ice cold.

This brings me to graphite, readily available for lock lubrication.
Graphite is a great lubricant and will last for many many years once introduced into a component.

I would think that a thin smear of graphite lock lubricant would totally be the answer to this lubrication need.

Thoughts?
What am I over looking?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

I just did this on my stove. This thread was an excellent guide. One of my burners was not working. I wonder why....
Mud wasps in the air tube.

I sourced a tube of the Hy-Heet Grease and only used a couple of dabs. I suspect I won't need to do this again for the remainder of my Vanagon days.
I have a bunch of small containers and will send a glob to anyone who wants to do this rebuild. PM me your mailing address and I'll just send it in an envelope until I run out. I'll post when I'm out of grease or containers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The mentioned Hy Heet Graphite Grease is not an easy to find item...

One of the things that I noticed reading the "How To" in this thread mentions that the gas orifice was clogged with globs of old grease...

Will not this new grease simply over time clog the orifice yet again?

Plus, there is no need for a high temperature lubricant at the valve. The gas flowing through the valve is ice cold.

This brings me to graphite, readily available for lock lubrication.
Graphite is a great lubricant and will last for many many years once introduced into a component.

I would think that a thin smear of graphite lock lubricant would totally be the answer to this lubrication need.
kill
Thoughts?
What am I over looking?

Amazon has a 2 oz tube for $11.90
https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Forrester-VA126-Gr...amp;sr=8-1

Four years since following these instructions my stove still works. I believe the key is to not use too much grease.

If I was doing this again I think the thinnest smear vaseline would probably do the job. Maybe graphite too.

I'll also send you a lifetime supply from my two ounce tube.

This all reminds me of BMW motorcycle riders sharing dabs of Staburags clutch spline grease when it was supposedly the secret sauce of a smooth clutch operation in the 80s and 90s.

Regardless, my stove operation is 100% better since following these instructions: the flame does not go out when adjusting it.

Abscate wrote:

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

My little container of graphite grease arrived today!

Now I can pull the control valves apart and clean them up.

Many many thanks for the generosity of mtnhome for sending this grease to members here!

Looking at the quantity in the plastic container, though it be small, it is WAY more than I will need!

If you are somewhat local"ish" to Reading Pa., reach out to me..... I'll be happy to share!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o’ pics) Reply with quote

I didn't take many photos on rebuilding the valves for it is well documented here.

Anyway, I put this in my build thread for my 90 but thought it should be here as well..............

I pulled my stove valves this morning.

I thought this would be an easy and quick fix!

Silly me!

It wasn't hard, it just took time carefully disassembling and cleaning.
If you break this stuff...... parts aren't readily available.
I used the graphite stove grease on reassembly.... the smallest dab spread to the thinnest film without filling in the control valve divots with excess grease.

There aren't any leaks and I have fire!

I can also go from high flame to simmer with a quick twist of the knob, no fiddling, no flame going out....

I got out my repainted face plate and reassembled the stove front......

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: