Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Good news!

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
salmonjessi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Bummer. It doesn't look like VanCafe or GW sell that part. The break does look like something that JB weld would be perfect for. As to why it broke, was the valve core cockeyed or jammed on something or was one screw tight and tightening the second broke it? Misassembling it again will break either a new one or a glued one. Get both screws close to snug before tightening either one.

Yeah, broken from my misassembly after cleaning...not paying attention. I had the left valve core in the right housing. I was only being mindful of the 12 oclock position, rather than noting differences in R & L valves during reassembly. Some bind when screwing it in and *pop*, followed by cussing myself at such error.
Note: if there is resistance, somethin aint quite right.

I was able to find a replacement from someone who removed the camper setup from their westy (WHY?!?....and yet so grateful!!). Reassembled today and working beautifully.

Thanks for such a helpful write-up with pics!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Bummer. But someone has that (used) part.
Probably should keep your valve stem matched to your valve seat, if you can replace only that part.

Is it possible the valve seat was screwed in past the off position? Probably good to set the flame setting stem In the middle before tightening those ears.

Good for you posting that oopsie, now people know, and it would be good if we figure out for sure how it happened. It could have been broken by something falling against the knob sometime in the last 33 years.

If closing the valve breaks an epoxyd crack, a little gas could leak there with the valve closed. Id be leery of a repair there. But if I had to repair It Id pot it real thick there.

EJ25, Peloquin diff, locker, transaxle oil cooler/filtration system
....KTMs, GasGas, and a Stumpjumper
Gear oil is like underwear.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Bummer. It doesn't look like VanCafe or GW sell that part. The break does look like something that JB weld would be perfect for. As to why it broke, was the valve core cockeyed or jammed on something or was one screw tight and tightening the second broke it? Misassembling it again will break either a new one or a glued one. Get both screws close to snug before tightening either one.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
salmonjessi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

When reassembling the valve cap ends, it cracked. Ideas on where to find replacement?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Wanted to say thank you to the OP and the rest of the the board. I had resigned myself to never having the simmer work properly, but now it does. Woohoo!

A couple of things I did differently because I didn't want to run to the store or was lazy and seemed to work out still.

I used WD40 instead of carb cleaner.
I used white lithium grease.
I didnt take off the circlet clip. I just shot some WD40 down there and then blew it out.
I also used a q-tip for some of the inside bits.

Really happy with the way it turned out.
catchafire963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Just wanted to add to this thread. My burners were burning yellow and sooty, pretty bad. I took the whole thing apart and it turned out that the Oxygen inlet valves, the ones that are right in the front panel, were clogged with what appeared to have been the nest of some small bug or something. I cleaned everything up really well and put it all back together and they are buring a nice blue flame. Thanks a lot for the initial write up, stoked!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Did this project today and used the Hyheet grease. If anyone in Bend Oregon or close by would like to use some, i've got it and I agree that it's a lifetime supply.

Overall the project was as directed, and this thread was so helpful. The end result is great. I had a right burner that refused to stay on and now works very well.

One tip that I learned - there is no need to remove the actual burners on the top of the stove. When I pulled the caps off mine they looked pretty bad andI thought it would make sense to pull them and thought they were more functional then they are. The main screws on both were not budging and I pb blasted the hell out of them, only to drill out the right one. It was a disaster and once I pulled it apart, I realized that as far as cleaning goes, the functional parts are fully accessible with just the tops off. I saw no value in pulling them and went through a little hell to do it. All working now, but a heads up that if you're thinking about it, don't. It's not worth it unless you have a really specific reason for doing it. I couldn't find anything in searches about this so I wanted to add.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

^^^ PM sent

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

That's PERFECT! Thanks!
Vaseline seems good too, but the real thing, a short visit away sounds just a little bit better.
My valves would very much like to visit you for a dab-ette.

This photo shows that my system is able to maintain 12 inches propane pressure with propex running and with one stove valve full-open.
Opening the 2nd stove valve, the pressure drops to 11 inches.
On the infamous jimf909 coffee-tinted Man-O-meter....

I'm not sure why the stove won't light if the propex is started FIRST.
Strange problems.
I'll clean both stove valves, replace tyhe regulator with a new MEGR 295 and see what happens.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
What other types of grease can be used on these valves? I don't have the graphite hy-heet.

I've got a lifetime supply for every Westy in Seattle (it's a small tube but only a dab...maybe just a dab-ette is needed for each valve) and you're welcome to some (we can arrange a pick-up) but if the Vaseline works you might give that a try. I think you'll enjoy the results.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

dschaftlein wrote:
When I was searching for an appropriate grease I learned that Vaseline is commonly used.

I rebuilt mine around 2 years ago and have never had an issue.

I used Vaseline. You only need the tiniest smear.
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

When I was searching for an appropriate grease I learned that Vaseline is commonly used.

I rebuilt mine around 2 years ago and have never had an issue.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

What other types of grease can be used on these valves? I don't have the graphite hy-heet.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Sweet write up!

One of my burners goes out when you turn it up from the lowest setting unless you do it really quickly, I imagine this procedure will fix that!

That's exactly what was happening with my stove. Moving from simmer to full flame or vice-versa would encounter a dead spot where the flame went out. I thought it might have been low pressure but I adjusted the regulator to 11" water column and it still happened. Following the instructions here allowed smooth and slow adjustment from simmer to full flame.

Here's a video...

Link

This photo shows some of the surplus grease clogging up the valve body...

This shows some surplus grease on the valve stem...

Here's a pic of the valves...

Great writeup, zipplyslug!

dishrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: How-to: Rebuild Westy stove valves (lots o pics) Reply with quote

Great information!

My stove is not inconsistent, it just has a low flame. Will this job help me?

Also, do you think I can use anti-seize lube ("contains petroleum distillates, synthetic base oils, copper, graphite" 2,000 degs F)

I guess if I do this and the flame is still low, my other options are a new regulator, or enlarge the gas jet orifice?

Thanks
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific reference and a good candidate for the FAQ list (if it's not there already). Bookmarked. Thanks!

atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice writeup. i cleaned one of my burners that was yellow and making soot and stink. now nice and blue.

however, the flame still goes out when i turn it all the way to the right (lowest). i think it needs more cleaning.

also, two observations.

1) this small jet hole needs to point back towards the burner. duh obvious yeah. well, yeah.

2) you may need to give the front panel a bit of tapping (down) to loosen it. mine was rusted on. i'll give it some paint and love before it goes back on.

i used a very thin smear of disc brake grease. i don't think this was a good choice, but wasn't sure what else to use as it was not easy to find valve grease.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
Sweet write up!

One of my burners goes out when you turn it up from the lowest setting unless you do it really quickly, I imagine this procedure will fix that!

Thanks.

Yeah, mine worked fairly "random" as you describe before servicing. Now they have a nice, progressive flame.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stove top valve will not operate, will not push in and t Reply with quote

fairport11 wrote:
How to repair replace stovetop valve. Mine will not move, cannot push in and turn.

Try removing the valve stems. Could just be gunked up.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: