Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Super Rusterection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
BUMP

It's asleep under its car cover for the Winter while I get in a ski season. Although I do start it once a month, and have started to fiddle around with some small issues.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

I read in one of your previous posts that you put on front disc brakes for Topline along with the struts. I have a 1972 Super Beetle and it came from the factory with front disc brakes. Is mine unusual to have front disc brakes?

I also noticed that your car appears to have only one spring plate per side, just like mine. The Bentley Manual indicates that our cars should have dual spring plates.

I am preparing to reset my rear torsion bars and I have a tool to compress the spring plates back into position rather than trying to use a floor jack. So I don't have to worry about lifting the car off the jack stands.

This is August. Any updates?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

DesignBuild wrote:
I read in one of your previous posts that you put on front disc brakes for Topline along with the struts. I have a 1972 Super Beetle and it came from the factory with front disc brakes. Is mine unusual to have front disc brakes?

I believe it was an option for cars in Europe, and/or it might have been fitted with disks off a Karmann Ghia which were a direct bolt on to supers.

DesignBuild wrote:
I also noticed that your car appears to have only one spring plate per side, just like mine. The Bentley Manual indicates that our cars should have dual spring plates.

I know what you mean, and I'm not sure what the criteria was for one or two spring plates. Mine came with only one.

DesignBuild wrote:
I am preparing to reset my rear torsion bars and I have a tool to compress the spring plates back into position rather than trying to use a floor jack. So I don't have to worry about lifting the car off the jack stands.

I also have that tool, and it worked well when I replaced the torsion bar and spring plate bushings. I'll be using it again to lower the rear as soon as all the new stuff settles in to its final ride height.

DesignBuild wrote:
This is August. Any updates?

I'm close to getting it on the road. Here's a few pics I had to send to the insurance company to get insurance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Well it's finally on the road, and I just got a 100 miles on the engine. Was running pretty hot, even for a newly rebuilt engine, so I made some changes to get me through the break in period at least. Along with the 100 mile oil change and valve adjustment, I increased the size of the idle and main jets, and went to a cooler spark plug. I also wrapped the number 2 and 4 primary pipes going to the Vintage Speed SS exhaust with a header wrap to reduce the radiated heat. These changes made a huge difference as it now runs cooler and much smoother. I was definitely too lean.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

It looks fantastic. Congratulations on this wildly successful build!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Wow that is gourgus! Nothing beats that first ride. I remember thinking when I finally got our 65 reassembled " this could be great, or maybe we will die😂" thrilling eather way.

Hey if your up to it the CVA Foilage Cruise is coming up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EA812
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

It's not too late to get out yet😉

Sunday October 20, 2019 - The CVAs 21th Annual Fall Foliage Cruise, from 9am to ??? Cruise will start at the intersection of Rt6 & Rt8 commuter parking lot next to Dunkin Donuts, 369 East Main St. Thomaston 06787. This is a rain or shine event. There will be a dinner after the cruise for those who are interested. Come and enjoy the fall colors with us. For additional info please contact: Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 [email protected] or Jeff McBride [email protected]

Sunday December 1, 2019 - The CVAs Last Hurrah Address: 401 Seaside Ave. 06498. Are you crazy enough to go to a VW event in December? Weather permitting we will be gathering again at the Westbrook Town Beach from noon to 3. Afterwards we are invited to participate in the Westbrook Tree Lighting Parade, decorating is encouraged! Contact Bill Arute (860) 395-9964 or [email protected] or Chris Fox [email protected] for more info.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It only took 20 years! Shocked I'm keeping it local until I get 600-700 miles on the engine and get it broken in. I can already hear the front alternator bearing groaning for attention, so will be changing that next. Going to try and make a Cars-n-Coffee on the 19th at the Elms mansion in Newport. Hopefully I'll make a bunch of events in the Spring though.

DORIGTT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

I looked and maybe am blind, but what size wheels and tires are you running?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Well I just changed my front tires from 205/40/17 to 205/45/17 to get a better ride. The rears are 225/45/17. They're all on 17x7 Porsche rims with a 55 ET. I also got it lowered down closer to where I want it. To come full circle from page one only took 20 years! For an immortal like me, ah that's nutin!

Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

What an amazing journey! And, also inspiring, so maybe I can get mine going again. Congratulations!
Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Just read through it all again. Truly amazing amount of dedication. Also a inspiration, we will all eventually find the finish line.

PS I may have to steal you signature. As I am not letting mine go either.

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Thanks Mark and Glenn. I'm coming up on 1500 miles and it's starting to become reliable. I do drive it to work and on short trips now. The engine has settled in and is running nicely. Pretty sure I've finally gotten past my rust flakes in the fuel system issue. I am however going to put back my old fuel sender because the new replacement doesn't register correctly and doesn't seal correctly either. Besides a new windshield wiper motor, the only thing I have left is the interior. I'm already feeling the void of not having something to work on/fix up.

Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Wow and Holy cow ! I AM amazed and inspired by the dedication and commitment that you made to yourself and your cherry ride beetlenut! I just came to your thread looking for crescent death-foam info and became TOTALLY ENGROSSED in your project. Saweet !! I’ve read it from start to finish, and I’m sure to be back here again for inspiration, information and plain-old enjoyment. What an epic journey you went on. And all because of an asswipe drunk driver. Great, great stuff , and congrats !

Seize the day...not the Engine...
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Fair-cooled wrote:
Wow and Holy cow ! I AM amazed and inspired by the dedication and commitment that you made to yourself and your cherry ride beetlenut! I just came to your thread looking for crescent death-foam info and became TOTALLY ENGROSSED in your project. Saweet !! I’ve read it from start to finish, and I’m sure to be back here again for inspiration, information and plain-old enjoyment. What an epic journey you went on. And all because of an asswipe drunk driver. Great, great stuff , and congrats !

Start to finish, wow! Thanks for the kind words. Some people spend their money on therapy, I spend mine on VW parts! I figure I come out ahead in the end. I guess it's functional art. Instead of hanging it on the wall, you get to drive it around.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
Start to finish, wow! Thanks for the kind words. Some people spend their money on therapy, I spend mine on VW parts

Sometimes VW restoration IS the therapy Very Happy
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
beetlenut wrote:
Start to finish, wow! Thanks for the kind words. Some people spend their money on therapy, I spend mine on VW parts

Sometimes VW restoration IS the therapy Very Happy

Not sometimes my friend! Wink

Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Quote:
Start to finish, wow! Thanks for the kind words. Some people spend their money on therapy, I spend mine on VW parts! I figure I come out ahead in the end. I guess it's functional art. Instead of hanging it on the wall, you get to drive it around.

You have great life insight beetlelover...from about age 15 to 28 I was a very happy fellow, tooling with my cars and bikes when I wasn’t working or with friends. Then around the age of 28 (1991 ) I had to transfer from my town to where I now still live. Not only did I lose a place to work on my cars, but I also received a real sadistic boss...all for my “career”. Anyway, this boss plus a lack of my favourite hobby ( car work/car projects ) spiralled me into anxiety and depression. Years later now and with my beetle and it’s needs I’m back into it !
Buying parts, thinking problems out, getting help here at thesamba, etc, I’m experiencing that great feeling of pride of accomplishment again. And I can tell you from firsthand experience that psychological therapy is nowhere as good as this automotive therapy; at least not for me. Functional Art...what a GREAT way to put it !! Kudos beetlenut Applause Exclamation Smile TS Logo

Seize the day...not the Engine...
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

That green was '74 only, right?

Such a neat car. Your hard work is paying off.

So now what's next?

Heinz Nordhoff
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Rusterection Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
That green was '74 only, right?

Such a neat car. Your hard work is paying off.

So now what's next?

Yes, apparently it was. Tropical Green L60A. I had it computer scanned and turned into a BC/CC. Thanks. What's next, all the little things that come up after taking a car completely apart. Lots of adjustments, some redo's, fixing other things that I thought were good, but ended up failing after I tried to use them again after 20 years, like the windshield wiper motor. Just drive it. I do have a large void of not having a project to work on. Maybe a Double Cab?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: