Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Fuel filler and cap for front of buggy Reply with quote

does anyone know where to find a fuel filler for the front of a buggy? I have an Allison and need a down tube adnd the cap to go with it.

I'm open to thoughts...

thanks,

herk
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working through this myself right now. I found this spring loaded flip top gas cap in a boat bone yard. The stainless screws were all stripped out. The owner said I could have it for free if I could get it off. I cut it from the hull with a battery operated reciprocating saw. Score. I also got a 6 foot length of coast gaurd approved 1.5" filler hose with it. Now I'm struggling a bit to make the connections in a tight space. I'll probably reduce the length of the gas cap connection by an inch or more to help with the flow and instead of the second elbow I made I'll weld a filler tube horizontally into the top of the tank. I'm letting it stew for a while in case I figure out a better solution. The cap makes a really nice "POP" when you trigger the catch, I'm kinda digging that. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile

Last edited by gr8cobbler on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get hood mounted flip top caps from most buggy suppliers. You need to weld a patch over the original filler point on the tank and then weld short(@1.5") section of 2" filler tube to the top rear of the tank. Cut a 2" diameter hole in the hood above the new filler point. Connect the flip top filler too the tank with 2" fuel hose and attach the filler to the hood.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move your filler and shorten it to be lower than the hood.

Then pick up one of the many styles of flip lids that are available. Get one that you like.

Cut a hole in the hood above your relocated fillers and mount the flip lid above it.

It makes it easy as pie to remove your hood and you never have to worry about leaks or poor flow to the tank with one of those boat fillers.

Not to mention the PITA to try to get the hose loose when you need to remove the hood.

My hood and dash are separate and all I have to do is pull two bolts out by the windshield, flip open the fuel door so I can use it as a hand hold and then pull the hood off for complete access to my tank and wiring.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, It's tried and true, efficient and effective, simpler, likely safer and it looks great too, but it doesn't go POP...... Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink

Great pictures and description of your solution.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
Move your filler and shorten it to be lower than the hood.

Then pick up one of the many styles of flip lids that are available. Get one that you like.

Cut a hole in the hood above your relocated fillers and mount the flip lid above it.

It makes it easy as pie to remove your hood and you never have to worry about leaks or poor flow to the tank with one of those boat fillers.

Not to mention the PITA to try to get the hose loose when you need to remove the hood.

My hood and dash are separate and all I have to do is pull two bolts out by the windshield, flip open the fuel door so I can use it as a hand hold and then pull the hood off for complete access to my tank and wiring.

DITTOS... I started doing this on all my build about 10 years ago and its so much simpler to construct and resolves a myriad of problems getting connection from body mounted filler to tank top... And got to love those AMP Research doors...

Any sharp turns (90°) or bends are just going to make fueling more difficult as fuel backs up from turbulence in filler path...

I simply place filler door on body where I want it (preferably near top of tank).... Drill 1/8 hole through body and tank to index everything and continue to build by putting filler in tank centered on (index) hole and cut out large diameter hole in body to accept fuel door...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weld in a simple threaded nipple using a piece of 2" .120 wall DOM tubing.

Pick up a flip top threaded monza style fuel cap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140814638028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Pick up a fuel filler grommet for a 1967 to 1970 Chevrolet truck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-68-69-70-Chevy-truck-fu...mp;vxp=mtr
[/img]

Now you can remove your hood from the body by just unscrewing the fuel cap and lifting the hood straight off with your fuel grommet still attached to the hood. A added plus is that the fuel flip cap is vented and no secondary vent is needed.

This makes for cleaner look IMHO. I just don't like the hide your fuel filler under a ugly aluminum flip open door from a Jeep. Rolling Eyes
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first buggy I built I used the hidden trap door style from a Chevy Truck. It is OK and worked, but I did not like it because if I spilled any fuel, the spilled fuel was now on the inside of the buggy with no good way to clean it out. Then you would be smelling the fuel for some time on your outing. It also did not seal, so when I washed the buggy, it would end up with water by passing the door and in the buggy.

On all the buggy's since, I went the same route as wvbowtieman because it is clean, seals the body and very simple. Straight shot into the tank. Very easy to pop the fill up anywhere you want it to be even if the tank is just under the surface of the hood with height restrictions.

The Trantula buggy had a raised area in the fiberglass hood for a fuel filler so I had to hit that hole and it also worked very well.

Here is another one that was in the mock up stage and not yet bolted down. The aluminum plate was made to hide the large hole in the already painted hood. But it sealed the opening and kept spilled fuel topside where it could be cleaned up right away.

I have done 4 with the fuel cap above the hood and sealed. I will not go back to a under the hood fuel filler. One dribble off of the fuel filler was enough for me to make up my mind.

Here is my latest.

For this buggy.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
herkster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow great ideas!!!
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my tank filler, instead of using welded up pieces of pipe to make an elbow, I used this style of 2" double-barbed, 90° nylon elbow to connect the filler neck to the tank -

http://www.tractorsupply.com/green-leaf-nylon-elbow-barb-2-in--2114342

bryan
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you want to bash gas lid installs......
Whatever floats your boat.
If I wanted boat accessories I would get myself a boat. Rolling Eyes

I guess you settled this by confirming the boat lid is for clutz's that don't have a steady hand and the flip top lid is for individuals that are competent and can fill their own fuel tank without spilling gas. Wink

Maybe the problem was that you used the "Chevy" flip door..... Laughing Laughing

joescoolcustoms wrote:
The first buggy I built I used the hidden trap door style from a Chevy Truck. It is OK and worked, but I did not like it because if I spilled any fuel, the spilled fuel was now on the inside of the buggy with no good way to clean it out. Then you would be smelling the fuel for some time on your outing. It also did not seal, so when I washed the buggy, it would end up with water by passing the door and in the buggy.

On all the buggy's since, I went the same route as wvbowtieman because it is clean, seals the body and very simple. Straight shot into the tank. Very easy to pop the fill up anywhere you want it to be even if the tank is just under the surface of the hood with height restrictions.

The Trantula buggy had a raised area in the fiberglass hood for a fuel filler so I had to hit that hole and it also worked very well.

Here is another one that was in the mock up stage and not yet bolted down. The aluminum plate was made to hide the large hole in the already painted hood. But it sealed the opening and kept spilled fuel topside where it could be cleaned up right away.

I have done 4 with the fuel cap above the hood and sealed. I will not go back to a under the hood fuel filler. One dribble off of the fuel filler was enough for me to make up my mind.

Here is my latest.

For this buggy.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It warms my heart to see everyone play well on the forum...

The best fuel filler is the one that you install that works best for your application.

bryan
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
It warms my heart to see everyone play well on the forum...

The best fuel filler is the one that you install that works best for your application.

bryan

My apologies....... Wink

I couldn't resist.....

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty amazing, you just never know where these polar opinions are going to show up either.

What oil is best? Do you need the lower engine tin? Are real MANX better...Who would have thought folks would get passionate about gas fillers.... Laughing

Some great ideas and further thinking from individuals who have made many great buggies using differing but very successful mehtods. Having some of the Samba Buggy experts disagree but still share thier methods and reasoning is what keeps bringing me back. Cool

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since you want to bash gas lid installs......
Whatever floats your boat.
If I wanted boat accessories I would get myself a boat.

I guess you settled this by confirming the boat lid is for clutz's that don't have a steady hand and the flip top lid is for individuals that are competent and can fill their own fuel tank without spilling gas.

Maybe the problem was that you used the "Chevy" flip door.....

Ha Ha Ha!

No boats were hurt in my builds, only motorcycles. The spilling does not matter to me, but If I want my wife to ride along with me, it will give her a screaming headache quickly.

I used the Chevy door because as typical, the Ford door was ugly and the MOPAR door was too expensive to afford.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have used this if I wasn't so cheap
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Hank! I would have to change out the brass for stainless, but cool none the less.

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a weld in neck that bryan had posted a link to (I think) from some off road shop. I cut it into the tank right near the top...on the actual ridge of the tank.

I am using a Cobra filler lid that covers a pop off gas cap. I have had it together and it looks good. I would take pics but everything is under plastic waiting for the darn buggy to get painted!
surfsup161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the original filler position closed up and a new neck put on at the rear of the tank so it extended outside the fiberglass far enough so I could install the fuel cap (52 beetle) I had the stainless ring made up and fitted a fuel resistant neoprene seal underneath the ring so it seals to keep any water and fuel outside. Took a little bit of messing around and measuring to get it all to line up but I'm happy with it. Having a 4 inch filler neck also means you get a bit more fuel in and there more area if it spills a bit.

MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an airplane filler....because the car would fly..... Laughing PUNKS

CLEAN AND SIMPLE

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: