Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminess Box with Gowesty swingout and Swag bin, pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmerrill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, and functional, BUT, how does the bus handle?

I've got the GW bumpers, swingout rack addition thingy (hate it), and a hitch mounted bike rack on there like that. The bikes hung about 4 feet from the rear of the van, and WOW did the bus handle like crap!
When highway driving, the rear end would sway all over the place with the faintest wind. Forget about when a Tractor trailer passed me!

Van had Michelin LTX 215/15 Syncro.org springs, and OME shocks.

What is this set up like to drive?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with NMerril. Handling has to be affected at some point. When does a small trailer become more effective.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with handling, These vans being so square, sway regardless of bikes in the back or not when the wind blows.

I did notice when I engage the four wheel drive in the wind the van is bit more stable.

I'm using Michelin 225 75 16 with EMU shocks with GW springs with couple of spacers on the back. My van swayed before I added all these stuff and it still sways being so high and square. When the wind blows I slow down and engage the 4x4.

Sorry I'm a picture Ho.

More pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Picked these up for $500 at CL game changer for long distance drives

Arb fridge is hands down one of the nicest

Best mod so far, Satelite tv for sure. I like watching Direct tv.

Long as the wife is happy then thats all it matters

Does that look cool or what. 95% I get a thumbs up when I go out Very Happy

camping at refugio, best beach camp spot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
I'm with NMerril. Handling has to be affected at some point. When does a small trailer become more effective.

I hear you. We have about 90 pounds in the 'Camping Box' that goes on the Paulchen rack and I can feel it in the handling. The van does have bigger wheels and tires than stock but even so, I don't think I'd want much more weight that far behind the rear axle.

I've been admiring the little Harbour Freight based cooking/camping gear trailers that guys have have made... Hitch it up, put your clothes and instruments in the van and go! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the laws there are like regarding overloading but in a Westy you don't have much to play with, 500kg or so.
By the time you have all that stuff on and the leverage of it being slung so far out it must drive awful and the obscured lights, we would get shot for that!
Have you considered a larger Van?
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickwerks wrote:
I'm not sure what the laws there are like regarding overloading but in a Westy you don't have much to play with, 500kg or so.
By the time you have all that stuff on and the leverage of it being slung so far out it must drive awful and the obscured lights, we would get shot for that!
Very Happy

The laws are on the books but there's precious little enforcement, so...
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Madeouttaglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful rig. I'm surprised so many are concerned about the weight in the rear. I've seen plenty of pictures of Westys with dirtbikes on hitch mounted carriers.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madeouttaglass wrote:
That is a beautiful rig. I'm surprised so many are concerned about the weight in the rear. I've seen plenty of pictures of Westys with dirtbikes on hitch mounted carriers.

Thank you, your rig is awesome. I've been following your thread. You have the best looking front spare tire mount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickwerks wrote:
Very Happy

WTF? Evil or Very Mad

What a shitty comment. As they have a saying if you don't have something nice to say then shut the mother up.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickwerks wrote:

This is America. We can do what ever we want to our vehicles for the most part. With exception to emissions of course.

WRT the brake lights. I have a similar setup. Box, bike rack, propane tank. I added LED trailer lights to the end of the bike rack and wired it into my trailer light hookup. Much brighter than stock and visible when loaded. Cost about $70 but I bet they've come down in 2 yrs.
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty slick box setup.
Curious to know if standard 5 gal jerry cans would fit nicely on the tray above the box? Checked their website but didn't see it configured that way.
That's a superior use of space than just the gowesty tray if you can throw the Jerry's above the box.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the OP's box at Syncrofest I went ahead and ordered mine... I was no longer on the fence about it. I liked how it looked!

Just finished getting mine mounted.

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I like the five gallon gas tanks.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
Looks great. I like the five gallon gas tanks.

Thanks!

I have a few long road trips coming up wit 5 guys riding dual sport motorcycles and I'm in charge of carrying fuel. lol. Those Wavian NATO Spec cans are very nice and stout, the 10 gallons should get all 6 of us about 60 miles if we were to run out of fuel all at once which is not likely but it'll be cnie having some reserves just in case.

Got them from DasMule...
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two full 5 gallon jerries can be very heavy.. Keep an eye in this setup and that damage is not done to the box or your mounts.
Hope it works for you!

I've abandoned by Nato cans and am going towards those silly roto-paks instead. Tossing those cans around is for a more youthful spine than mine. Wink

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Two full 5 gallon jerries can be very heavy.. Keep an eye in this setup and that damage is not done to the box or your mounts.
Hope it works for you!

I've abandoned by Nato cans and am going towards those silly roto-paks instead. Tossing those cans around is for a more youthful spine than mine. Wink

ahhh yea.. the tray is pretty stout which adds to the strength of the top of the galley box. i havent filled them up yet, waiting for a trip to do so and i'll check the weight then for sure.

I almost went with Rotopax cans but it woulda been about $275 for 10 gallons worth compared to $110 for these wo Wavian Cans. I spent enough on the box as it was lol hehe
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also for other people's reference here's the support base that I had a fabricator here in Houston make. Completely his design... He used 1" square tubulars. I'm very happy with it.

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeps the inside clutter free. Amazing all the stuff you can carry. Last camping trip.

I had 7 people that gave me thumbs up or said nice van in one day. Very Happy

Last edited by whynotvw on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
also for other people's reference here's the support base that I had a fabricator here in Houston make. Completely his design... He used 1" square tubulars. I'm very happy with it.

Wow, that's nice work. How much did that set you back?
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is loaded up! I saw your setup at syncrofest in person which made me finally pull the trigger on a box. i ordered it the monday after Syncrofest and it just came in last week. They didn't have any in stock so I had to wait about 5-6 weeks in order to get it to me. Longest. Wait. Evar.

=)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: