Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminess Box with Gowesty swingout and Swag bin, pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
Wow that is loaded up! I saw your setup at syncrofest in person which made me finally pull the trigger on a box. i ordered it the monday after Syncrofest and it just came in last week. They didn't have any in stock so I had to wait about 5-6 weeks in order to get it to me. Longest. Wait. Evar.

=)

Your custom mounting bracket is sweet. Thats funny when I went to buy mine at the factory while back they had more then five. Aluminess must be busy. Your set up looks very nice. I think your the third person that has this set up. Pricey but you won't regret it.

Looks great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
HoustonPhotog wrote:
Wow that is loaded up! I saw your setup at syncrofest in person which made me finally pull the trigger on a box. i ordered it the monday after Syncrofest and it just came in last week. They didn't have any in stock so I had to wait about 5-6 weeks in order to get it to me. Longest. Wait. Evar.

=)

Your custom mounting bracket is sweet. Thats funny when I went to buy mine at the factory while back they had more then five. Aluminess must be busy. Your set up looks very nice. I think your the third person that has this set up. Pricey but you won't regret it.

Looks great.

Yeah I saw yours and the second guy you're talking about out at Syncrofest. I was SOLD.

I knew about the boxes from my time looking at buying a Econoline van in order to turn it into a camper and was familiar with Aluminess products on Sportsmobiles etc. Then I saw your setup, then the other guys as well and yup. I had to have it. lol

I paid $300 for the fab work on the bracket and the total install of box, bracket and universal carrier to my van. I also had him chamfer off my front gowesty hitch mount and hilift jack mount as they were hitting my front lower grill and I didnt want to cut the grill in order to install them so its kinda tough to put a price on just the bracket fabrication itself. Still even at $300 total I am very pleased with it.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh shyt that's just outright irresponsible, you've strapped everything else on the back why fight the most important thing
a visual set of lights..
use a trailer converter harness (always handy) and use a pair of LED stop/turn/tails it's really not that difficult.

not every road is straight flat and optimum in viewing position to the vehicle behind you.. or that time you slow quick because the beach/road/camp turn off came up on you quick, but not as quick as the car/truck/bike is behind you.

I'm a self proclaimed rear visibility light addict Embarassed

I add a top row of red marker/clearance lights just to keep in eyeline with the truckers especially in rolling hills .

it's YOUR responsibility once YOU obscure the viewing components in the back end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ +1
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a tail light/brake light option now for these setups with a box and I'll post it once I get mine going and see how it works.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brake light situation is officially all better... =)

I searched so many different types of third brake lights out there and finally opted for some that are targeted towards the harley davidson crowd.

got mine here:
http://www.customdynamics.com/truflex_flexible_led_lighting.htm

I mounted a 9" strip on the vertical spare tire support and a 18" led strip on the top of the galley box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tail lights on on LEFT. Brake Lights on RIGHT.
Top row is stock lights.
Middle row is gowesty LED upgrade lights.
Bottom row is gowesty LED upgrade with my LED Strips added.

yea... that should suffice... =)
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE WHEEL IS SO PIMP!!!!

Crap... I want a spare tire on the back now just so I can do that same set up! Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
THE WHEEL IS SO PIMP!!!!

Crap... I want a spare tire on the back now just so I can do that same set up! Very Happy

thanks man!

I searched all sorts of options.. I saw these "lugnut" lights you add to the spare open holes on your spare and they act as brake lights...

then i got to thinking, id like a light there that I wouldnt have to un hook or disconnect if i needed to take the tire off to change a flat etc. thats when I thought I'd try the 9" strip behind the wheel.

bought the 1/8"thick flat bar from home depot. cut it, drilled holes and painted it. located the 2" square u-bolt at Academy, a sporting goods store in the boat trailer aisle.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, i like it Applause
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posting this for future reference for others that may also want an Aluminess Galley Box...

I just realized today via their newsletter that Gowesty sells a tray offset bracket that looks like it could be a much cheaper option of supporting a galley box than having a based fabricated. Best part is its only $43.

product page here:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24082&category_id=334&category_parent_id=

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i saw that recently, wished they would've had it sooner. but your your custom base looks fantastic.
VeeDubDaySpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome lighting solution. You guys sure are good at racking up my wish lists!!
79 bay window OLIVER
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abel, you've had this Galley Box setup for a few months now... any handling concerns with the van? on the highway? winds? I would assume not, but had to ask as I'm about to pull the trigger on one. And, is that in fact the Galley box? Or the 30" Deluxe Box. thanks!

HoustonPhotog wrote:
posting this for future reference for others that may also want an Aluminess Galley Box...

I just realized today via their newsletter that Gowesty sells a tray offset bracket that looks like it could be a much cheaper option of supporting a galley box than having a based fabricated. Best part is its only $43.

product page here:
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=24082&category_id=334&category_parent_id=

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewedge wrote:
Abel, you've had this Galley Box setup for a few months now... any handling concerns with the van? on the highway? winds? I would assume not, but had to ask as I'm about to pull the trigger on one. And, is that in fact the Galley box? Or the 30" Deluxe Box. thanks!

No regrets... I love the box. Don't even know it's back there.. Especially that one time when I backed into a tree with it. Lol. True Story. Box held up and got a slight scuff. No damage to the box at all.

It is the Galley Box... And NOT the deluxe box.

You'll enjoy it.
imdbui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my GW swing arm, offset bracket, and Aluminess Galley box. Just by the looks of it, the offset bracket is 1-2inches too long, so the tip of it will need to be cut off. Other than that, it should bolt right into the box, although not sure how sturdy it will be... it won't come close to houstonphotog's custom bracket.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imdbui wrote:
Just got my GW swing arm, offset bracket, and Aluminess Galley box. Just by the looks of it, the offset bracket is 1-2inches too long, so the tip of it will need to be cut off. Other than that, it should bolt right into the box, although not sure how sturdy it will be... it won't come close to houstonphotog's custom bracket.

That's not bad at all! I didn't find out about this plate til after I had my bracket made. I'm very curious to see how yours is when finished.

Thanks for the update!
imdbui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas in this thread. I was able to get my Galley Box installed with the GW Tray Bracket that Houstonphotog mentioned.

The Galley Box does not sit flush directly on the bracket, due to bolt locations of the swing arm and the door hinge of the Galley Box. I ended up using King Starboard, cut to size from TAP Plastics. http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/king_starboard/526
This HDPE is used on marine applications, and should withstand weathering well.

Two pieces, a 24x13x3/8 and 20x2x1, cost me about $30. I had them bevel the edges of the large piece for a nicer finish, but you can do it yourself with a router if you wanted.

With the starboard as spacers, the back of the box sits flush against the universal arm, and the hinge and rivets clear the lip of the tray bracket. I got it in black, so you can hardly tell its there.

Bolted up with the 6 holes in the tray bracket, and 2 holes on the back through the Universal swing arm - stainless 8mmx35 or 8mmx40 bolts with washers and nylock nuts.

whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I did, I got a thin yoga mat ( black rubber mat ) and made a insulation for the inside on all the inner walls including the inner roof and inner door. Made a huge difference in not making dents, scratches and noise rattling.
imdbui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
One other thing I did, I got a thin yoga mat ( black rubber mat ) and made a insulation for the inside on all the inner walls including the inner roof and inner door. Made a huge difference in not making dents, scratches and noise rattling.

that's a great idea, did you use an adhesive? Any issues with it staying put?
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imdbui wrote:
Thanks for the ideas in this thread. I was able to get my Galley Box installed with the GW Tray Bracket that Houstonphotog mentioned.

looks good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: