Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminess Box with Gowesty swingout and Swag bin, pictures
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Aluminess Box with Gowesty swingout and Swag bin, pictures Reply with quote

Gowesty swing out with custom bracket to fit Aluminess Box/galley. Great for hauling Honda inverter or other stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by whynotvw on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice tip! Did GoWesty make your custom mount or is it a DIY? I've got that bumper and swingarms on my GW wish list and was just thinking the other day how I could securely store a Honda 2000i on the tray they had.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncromike wrote:
nice tip! Did GoWesty make your custom mount or is it a DIY? I've got that bumper and swingarms on my GW wish list and was just thinking the other day how I could securely store a Honda 2000i on the tray they had.

Thanks, I made my own mount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are both your tail lights visible? or is just a camera angle that obscures them...
Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
Are both your tail lights visible? or is just a camera angle that obscures them...
Jeff

I was going to ask the same, particularly with bikes. You may consider adding a third brake light to the upper window. Otherwise, it all looks tidy.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's Old Volks Home wrote:
Jeff

Its visible. I have the third tail light, I just need to install it.
rumitcu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saweet!

Here is a tangential question: do you notice any significant flex in the GW bumper/hitch from the lever arm of the bike rack? I have the 4-bike version of that on the GW stand-alone hitch, and it flexes like crazy since it is only mounted to the tow loops. I am probably going to upgrade to their rear bumper/hitch, and it would be nice to know that it will comfortably support the weight of the rack. Thanks!
86syncrowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu wrote:
Saweet!

Here is a tangential question: do you notice any significant flex in the GW bumper/hitch from the lever arm of the bike rack? I have the 4-bike version of that on the GW stand-alone hitch, and it flexes like crazy since it is only mounted to the tow loops. I am probably going to upgrade to their rear bumper/hitch, and it would be nice to know that it will comfortably support the weight of the rack. Thanks!

You may want to look into the Burley hitch, it travels a good length down the frame rails for support.
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu wrote:
Saweet!

It will definitely support it. The hitch is bolted into the inner framework of the bumper - which is in turn bolted deep into the frame rails in three locations (2 stock points and a third past them). It is quite stout.
specialev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put an extension on your bike rack? I've got the same rack with the GW bumpbers but when stowed it sit's much closer to the van.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

specialev wrote:
Did you put an extension on your bike rack? I've got the same rack with the GW bumpbers but when stowed it sit's much closer to the van.

I extended about 12 inches" around the hitch area and had to shave some plastic part where the front wheels rests. I also extended the 15 inches like a add on piece so I can mount a third bike piece.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to share some pictures of this product called swag storage bin for action packer 8 gallon. Made very well in aluminum. Pretty cool stuff. This solves a lot of my storage issues when I go camping and the best part is, very easy access. I thought about getting a storage box on the roof but then I can't take my surfboard and getting up there would be a bit of hassle.

Aluminess box with Swag storage bin.

Aluminess box opens and can be used for a table for BBQ or other things.

you can also load other stuff on top of the bin.
http://www.swagoffroad.com/
http://www.aluminess.com/
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumitcu wrote:
Saweet!

I have a hitch mounted rack that I carry a hundred pounds or so on the GW bumper and it is rock solid.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
syncromike wrote:

I know this is a thread resurrection but I was very curious to see how you mounted the Aluminess box to the GoWesty Swing Arm. Curios to see if you just used the 4 hole mount points or used another method.

Thanks!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

might want to add some further mounted brake lights there else this all becomes your new impact zone Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
might want to add some further mounted brake lights there else this all becomes your new impact zone Shocked

trust me, i had that figured out when i installed the box. the van seats high enough where the factory lights are easily visible when your behind my van. Twisted Evil
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

trust me, i had that figured out when i installed the box. the van seats high enough where the factory lights are easily visible when your behind my van. Twisted Evil

Looks like a truck driver would have a hard time seeing the brake lights... Confused

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
whynotvw wrote:
syncromike wrote:

I know this is a thread resurrection but I was very curious to see how you mounted the Aluminess box to the GoWesty Swing Arm. Curios to see if you just used the 4 hole mount points or used another method.

Thanks!

I did some further mods, at first I made a larger square plate to go on top of the gowesty square. But that wasn't enough to fully secure it. So I used Gowesty universal mount or the pole then secured two bolts to the back of it. So I have four bolts for the bottom and two bolts on the back using the GW universal mount. Now, it is very secure.

I use it all the time and definitely worth the investment. Not only it looks awesome but very functional. And because it is made out of aluminum it is very light and don't have to worry about rust. Surprised all the stuff you can fit into that box and the swag box on top. Also because of the railing on top of the box it is super easy to secure things on top of that box.

I think Gowesty might come out with something similar down the line.

GW universal pole mount is a must to secure the backside of the box.

Last edited by whynotvw on Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
whynotvw wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Looks like a truck driver would have a hard time seeing the brake lights... Confused

camera angel makes it worst then it is. But I have a third brake light I just need to install it. But from behind and sitting position you can see the tail light.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whynotvw wrote:
I did some further mods, at first I made a larger square plate to go on top of the gowesty square. But that wasn't enough to fully secure it. So I used Gowesty universal mount or the pole then secured two bolts to the back of it. So I have four bolts for the bottom and two bolts on the back using the GW universal mount. Now, it is very secure.

I use it all the time and definitely worth the investment. Not only it looks awesome but very functional.

Thanks for the info!

Looks great..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: