Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

This little gem in the Sunday SeattleTimes brightened my Sodo day! Gonna have to go visit PeaceVans and see how things are going over there.... Seattle sure is a hotbed for vanagons, With NorthWesty and others. Looks like DragonflyVans moved (from Sodo Cool !) to Montana.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
2dogs1van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

Did you see what they rent for? $215/day, not including taxes or insurance. And I've been letting my friends use mine for free! Smile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

FYI ..... This has been posted before, once the thread was completely removed, a second time only a post.

DO NOT post about the political aspects of the rental tax.
Talk about the article, talk about the Vans, talk about wgat ever........ the tax is there so don't talk about the tax politics of renting a Van, it WILL be removed.

Thank You all!!!! 👍

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

markscullen wrote:
Did you see what they rent for? $215/day, not including taxes or insurance. And I've been letting my friends use mine for free! Smile

And that's what friends do!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

As I said in a different thread (which rightfully was whacked,) I love when journalists get bitten by the Vanagon bug and decide to write about it. They offer a different perspective than you get from lifers like us.

Speaking of perspective, I think if Westy-curious people rented one for a weekend to experience the quirks and idiosyncrasies first hand for a couple of days, they'd be less inclined to go out and buy a project and expect it to get them to Tierra del Fuego on the day after purchase.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

It really is a good idea to rent before diving into a 30+ year old hobby/obsession/lifestyle.

Loaning a well running vanagon to someone for the weekend is a terrible thing too do. Twisted Evil Next thing you know they will get infected by the need for a camper van. Then they will start perusing craigslist and TheSamba classifieds obsessively.. Laughing Loaned my van to a friend. His wife still occasionally gives me the stink eye. Shocked
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215

Last edited by MidwestDrifter on Mon May 09, 2016 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

MidwestDrifter wrote:
Loaned my van to a friend. His wife still gives occasionally gives me the stink eye. Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I love when journalists get bitten by the Vanagon bug and decide to write about it. They offer a different perspective than you get from lifers like us.

Yup here's the Seattle Times reporter wrote: "I do not camp. I don’t even glamp. I spent eight years in New York and four in Los Angeles. When I want to convene with nature, I rent a cabin on the water and take a stroll outside and once it gets the tiniest bit uncomfortable, I go where it is safe. Inside, where there is electricity and warm food and heat and no bugs."

This is the point of view of most people i think, but she can change. I'd like to see how that would change after a year of ownership (if genuine westy-camping occurred).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

Having been extremely poor and living out of my van in the past, I share the author's disinterest in camping as a leisure-time activity. It just sounds like work to me--like shoveling coal or stacking bricks for fun

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I love when journalists get bitten by the Vanagon bug...

I have bitten for a long time with the Vanagon Bug! It's great.

I guess bikes too!

photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

Nice to see some great PR for Peace Vans. I just had some work done there and they went out of their way to accommodate my needs and saved me a bunch of $$ with a professional diagnosis of a big problem.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
joetiger wrote:
I love when journalists get bitten by the Vanagon bug...

I have bitten for a long time with the Vanagon Bug! It's great.

I guess bikes too!

Wow, that's an extraordinarily clean garage!
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SeattleTimes article about Westies (and PeaceVans) Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Wow, that's an extraordinarily clean garage!

....need more projects

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: