Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Off Road Light Bars anyone?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Got any pictures of them on?
headlights only/LEDs only/ headlights and LEDs would be great.

I installed two of the same design but smaller number of LEDs, this is what mine are:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/off-road-...1271/2946/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Nice, yup, mine is exactly three of those units in one housing.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncromike wrote:
^^^Nice, yup, mine is exactly three of those units in one housing.

Yup, so I ought to have about 2/3 the light of your single one. It's very bright huh? Way better than the stock headlights!

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard of a company called Sirius that makes LED driving lights? I spent 8 hours om a bus that had them and really liked how they looked. I tried looking them up on the net but found very little, only that the round 7" model on the bus had 15 7w LED's... They were mounted over the lower wind-screen (it was a double-decker bus) and while the reach seemed a little shorter than the HID's they had before they really lit the sides of the road up a lot better, which for the narrow twisty roads we have here is very good.

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These?
http://www.ns-sirius.com/
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the one! My brain is playing tricks on me today, the bus had the 9" 15x3w versions...

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
syncromike wrote:
To really sell me, let's see a youtube of the dude with the lightbar following an Oregon gravel truck for about 10 miles on a highway with frost heaves.

Sure, but what are frost heaves? Think

I don't know the physics behind them, But they're huge ass speed bumps in the road. I'm guessing it has something to do with the frost/freeze cycle. You'll be cruisin' along and then BAM! They mostly occur far north of you...and they suck. Evil or Very Mad

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

Murphy's Law seems to dictate that I'm always behind a gravel truck when on highways like this, sending rocks like shrapnel right at my van.

The ground under the highway gets wet from drainage and then freezes over night, the asphalt peaks and cracks from the expanding ice like a glass bottle in the freezer.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen roads around here like that- after the Loma Prieta earthquake. Shocked
Getting behind a gravel truck on a road like that looks like all kinds of trouble. Shocked

That must have been the reason that I saw road crews working every day that I was roaming around OR last year. The interesting thing is they always had a friendly, pretty lady working the signage so it made things that much nicer. Wink
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
kbeefy wrote:
For less money than Rigid and alot nicer quality than superbright try Hanma...

http://www.hanma-auto.com/products/category/21/led-off-road-light-bars

That looks like a iffy website. Do you have any pictures of their product on your van?

Rigid lights are known for their ability to survive extreme torture tests like this how do you think that that system will do in comparison?

Link

I don't have a picture of them on my van, I never bought one of the bars. I did buy several 4" round flood lights for trail/work lights, and have seen them on a friends rover. They are pretty amazing. For comparison picture try searching Pirate, thats where I found them.

I would assume that they would not withstand destructive ballistic testing, but for 1/4 or less the price I'd rather gamble on not having my lights receive a bullet directly to the face, and when they did I'll just buy another and still only have spent 1/2 the cost of Rigid lights.

I already have some KC HID's for fast stuff, I'm not sure if a $1000+ rigid light bar would out-distance them but they certainly put more light out than my syncro needs for safe operation.

These are the work lights I got, 24watts and 90 degree flood beam. for the first 50 feet it's like turning on daylight.

Hmmm.... maybe I don't know how to post pics here...
[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TeOMklMKgCo/US7F8XFeFdI/AAAAAAAAEMs/JjqQbvDpP3Y/s820/%5BUNSET%5D[/img]

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-EeH673_udmA/US7F-a31pEI/AAAAAAAAEM0/a7vyqQBwWnM/s820/%5BUNSET%5D[/img]

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a couple of the pirate threads....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/suzuki/1058205-budget-hanma-led-lights-my-sidekick.html

if you like reading...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discuss...eview.html

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
syncromike wrote:
To really sell me, let's see a youtube of the dude with the lightbar following an Oregon gravel truck for about 10 miles on a highway with frost heaves.

Happens in cold places. When water becomes ice, it increases in volume by 10%. Depending on how much water there is beneath the road bed (clay soils for example) there is a differential expansion of the road bed, resulting in small hills (frost heaves) and valleys. Like driving on a mini roller coaster, at its worst, but usually just a bump in the road, like an easy speed bump (or as my friend from England calls them --sleeping policeman).

More typical on the back roads, where the roadbed is not up to the modern standards for road construction.

EDIT: So the problem he is referring to is the headlights bobbing up and down and flashing the driver in front. A very annoying and real problem with poorly aimed HID lights.

RonC
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowsyncro wrote:
EDIT: So the problem he is referring to is the headlights bobbing up and down and flashing the driver in front.

Although that's annoying for sure, the problem I was referring to was whether the lights will stand up to being peppered with gravel flung by a truck in front of me going highway speeds and hitting frost heaves. My windshield and one headlight have already paid the ultimate price in separate incidents. Sad
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: light bar installed Reply with quote

So, 60 days in with the light bar and it has a lot of condensation inside the lens... It's supposed to be sealed and waterproof. I'll call the company tomorrow, anyone have a positive experience with customer service at superbrightleds.com?
Win some, I lose some. Chalk this one up as I should have bought the domestic quality brand...

syncromike wrote:
Got the new LED Light Bar installed up by my roof rack.
A few notes...
- The quality of superbrightleds.com light bars is pretty poor. I'll be surprised if this lasts a year, the LED's are not lined up very well with the reflectors and the "lens" on each LED is nothing but a droplet of silicone gel. A cheap flashlight I have has identical LED and when the light gets hot the gel gets sticky and dust will stick to it like crazy. There is no other optical lens, just the drop of silicone on the LED chip, reflector, and protective glass.
- Overall brightness I'm happy with, lights up the way well enough for the money.
- I wired it internally and drilled a hole in my roof. Not the perfect solution but seemed better than running wire down the rain gutter and across the front to the firewall behind the grill. I'm happy having all the wires internal, but will need to keep checking the seal on the hole.
-Wish I'd bought a wider light bar to look more bad-ass... Cool
-The one I bought is only 54W, so I wired it directly through the OEM foglight switch and an inline fuse. The switch should be able to handle the 3-4A and a relay seemed like an additional thing to go wrong for something used pretty infrequently.

I couldn't get a great shot head on, but this is a good comparison of the brightness and color tone against the hi-power hi-beam upgraded headlights.

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 months in and there are already issues? That sux.
Keep us posted.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer.
Condensation in there will surely be the end of the fixture with extended use.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

Old post, but I'd thought I'd add to it.

I installed a pair of Rigid D2 Pro hyperspot beams w/yellow covers on a pair of Vanagon Life LED light bar brackets up high. I decided to go with the individual lights rather than the 52" bar. I may still install one at a later date. The pair of lights are extremely bright and worth the money.

http://www.vanagonlife.com/theshop/vanagonlife-lightbar-brackets

https://www.rigidindustries.com/d-series-pro-d-series.html

I also have a pair of small Rigid Ignite flood lamps mounted on each side of my GW skid plate

https://www.rigidindustries.com/ignite-series-ignite.html

The other light I installed is a single "blackout" light from a military vehicle. I removed the original 28v bulb and installed a 100w H3 bulb with an aluminum reflector. When I turn this light on, all the other lights are disabled, including the brake lights. This was my primary light on my last desert trip. I didn't use my rooftop or headlights at all. It is a very usefull light. It shoots a pattern similar to a single low beam headlight, with a moonlight type of color. It is very difficult to see this light outside & away from the van, except from the drivers perspective.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

very nice
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

I had a set of round hella lights on my bumper but after I did the headlight upgrade they were worthless, so I changed it up and got these lights from Rigid Lighting, they have 9 LED's in each one and they are BRIGHT. They are a bit pricey but great warranty and customer service. Check them out.

SyncroCanada
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Off Road Light Bars anyone? Reply with quote

I got some cheapo chinese made ones off Amazon. I think the small ones are 6 x 3 watt, the middle is 20 x 3. Bolted them to a Thule square cross bar. The Thule cross bar costs more than the lights.

Wired up the two small ones to the rear window defroster (which does not work). The center light is wired into the high beams with a double throw switch from the marine supply - modified the spare switch space. Toggle one way, the high beams go to the normal lights, the other way they go to the LED.

Run the wires through the front grill and use trailer type waterproof connectors. Disconnect when on public roads so you don't accidentally flash your 100+ watts of LED at the police.

I use the two small ones as running lights on logging roads in Ontario (near Algonquin Park). Being High up I hope I am seen sooner. Logging trucks are big, fast, and don't give any quarter.

At night, you can see plain as day for 150 to 200 feet.

The weird rig on the top is a derrick crane for lifting the kayaks.

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: