Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rubbersidedown - [email protected] - Jeffrey Schmidt
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: rubbersidedown
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: November 01, 2020
bassgruvn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: rubbersidedown - [email protected] - Jeffrey Schmidt Reply with quote

Just a little heads up for you guys.
Jeffery here took my deposit on this Vanagon Ambulance. Could not produce a California smog cert as per California law and now wont return my deposit or even be man enough to tell me to F off. Just ignores my emails.
Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1425146
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buyer beware VW Ambulance on the Samba Rip Off Report Reply with quote

bassgruvn wrote:
Just a little heads up for you guys.
Jeffery here took my deposit on this van. Could not produce a California smog cert as per California law and now wont return my deposit or even be man enough to tell me to F off. Just ignores my emails.
Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1425146

We had a discussion about this van on the Vanagon List. This was owned by the late Jim Miehle. Not sure how you would go about getting smog cert in California for a van which was probably not legally imported here as evidence by the still present carburetor and betting its missing a catalytic converter. Jim "worked around" rules to get the van here as he did with a number of other unique T3's. (I wish I knew where his yellow Singlecab tipper went.) Wink

It's going to take some effort to register this in California. Nothing that a little cash can't solve. Twisted Evil
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully you will get your refund.

I read the original ad but do not recall how it was presented -- the new version makes the compliance issue pretty plain, possibly because of your experience.

However, his statement...

Quote:
It won't pass smog until a cat is installed, but if you're anywhere else than CA, or NY etc that wont matter much.

... is rather optimistic. I am under the impression that most metropolitan areas (and some entire states) have emiisions checks. There are ways around some of those but I think the issue is more widespread than he suggests.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check my old emails from the Vanagon List "Vespa Jeff" exchanged emails with me. He confirmed that this was Jim Miehle's before. Jim's family sold it to someone else who left it sitting. Probably because they couldn't get it certified. Your Seller supposedly bought it after that.

You should check the List archives if you want to read what others said about the ambulance. To be fair, the price seems attractive enough to me to warrant buying it and putting in an engine conversion. Attempting to register it in California BEFORE doing any compliance work was a mistake. This will be flagged for emissions testing even if you took it to a County which does not have biennial smog checks. They will ask for cert before transferring. If I wasn't on the "downsizing" mode, if but this sucker in a heartbeat.

I hope those following Igor's thread is reading this. Igor is the guy with the two tone Syncro with the similar 1.9 carbureted engine which he is trying to register in California. Igor has resolved to perform some compliance work -- possibly an engine conversion. My old '85 Syncro Doka was converted to 2.1 WBX. Ironically, the cop who verified my vehicle wrote "diesel" on motive power. I wasn't going to argue. He saw all the diesel decals and relied on them.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't remember ever hearing about a2.1 with a carb, they were all fuel injection, all the one's i've ever seen were at least, so it could be a 1.9l

do you have the guys address, go pay the man a visit, or, can't you put a lien on the vehicle until you get your money ?

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm.. How long has this guy ignored your emals?

There is a telelphone number there too.
Perhpas he is just out of town and not able to reply... or is just now realizing he can't easily sell that van in CA, especially.

This is a small community.. and its easier to attract bees with honey or what ever that saying is.
Maybe edit out the "scam" stuff.. and give the guy a little more time to respond?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, he won't sell you the van either? I'm confused. The ad clearly states it won't pass smog.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
i don't remember ever hearing about a2.1 with a carb, they were all fuel injection, all the one's i've ever seen were at least, so it could be a 1.9l

do you have the guys address, go pay the man a visit, or, can't you put a lien on the vehicle until you get your money ?

Rubbashecan: You can certainly put a carb on a 2.1. If you're on the Syncro or Vanagon List, you may have read Malcolm Stebbins' 2.1 mods. He got the carb manifold from me.

Just to clarify, the 2.1 WBX installed in my Doka was fuel injected in order to comply with PRK rules. Twisted Evil (PRK=People's Republik of Kalifornia)
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:

can't you put a lien on the vehicle until you get your money ?

Not without suing him and getting a judgement first.....
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you out? grey market imports are known to be sketchy like this. California is it's own sovereignty (they think) and since the regs were that big a dealbreaker, you should tell the seller that's the contingency for buying the vehicle.

It seems the law is being used as excuse for buyers remorse.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
rubbersidedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Scam Artist???! Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Let's clear some stuff up here.

1) The deposit was given to me by the buyer who "had to have it" after my first post so I pulled the listing for him in good faith knowing he wanted it. We spoke many times about the van, and even though I was VERY clear about the van's smog issue he backed out of the deal after a month at the last minute. Instead of calling me a scam artist, perhaps it should be said to fully read and understand a very clear and honest post before backing out of a deal at the last minute, after the posting was pulled for you.

2) I haven't received any previous messages to get the deposit refunded, but like it was mentioned why don't you CALL me. My number is clearly posted. Your deposit will post today.

3) The van is represented honestly and priced fairly as well. Engine swap, Diesel conversion, and exhaust modification all considered. I value my standing in the VW community very highly, as a previous employee representing VW at auto shows, enthusiast rallies and the like for 9 years. Any questions or discussions can be directed to me via phone or messages. I have a potential buyer in Canada, and the post will be suspended. If the deal falls through the van will be posted again until it sells.

Thanks (tough crowd).
Jeff Evil or Very Mad
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

No disrespect to the original poster but if it's still around in about 60 days, I would be a buyer for that van. I would just have to sell the idea to the wife that people didn't usually die in ambulances "in Germany". LOL, tried to buy one non-VW ambulance before. The Seller told us it was from Atlanta and that only about a dozen people expired in there per year. After calculating the service age of the vehicle, we figured a whole town had passed through it's doors. Even I decided the creepiness factor was more than I could handle. Confused
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: add for van Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Jeff good answer . It's great to here both sides. Would love to have it here in Arizona. And no pollution controls at all! Good luck. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my departed lawyer dad liked to say,
"There's three sides to every story: yours, mine, and the truth."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: add for van Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Jeff good answer . It's great to here both sides. Would love to have it here in Arizona. And no pollution controls at all! Good luck. Very Happy

To be more clear: Phoenix and Tucson have smog testing.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbersidedown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Oh Man... Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
Jeff,

No disrespect to the original poster but if it's still around in about 60 days, I would be a buyer for that van. I would just have to sell the idea to the wife that people didn't usually die in ambulances "in Germany". LOL, tried to buy one non-VW ambulance before. The Seller told us it was from Atlanta and that only about a dozen people expired in there per year. After calculating the service age of the vehicle, we figured a whole town had passed through it's doors. Even I decided the creepiness factor was more than I could handle. Confused

Yeah, as I was driving around testing out some stuff the thought crossed my mind, and I considered the creepiness factor too. I tried to tell myself everyone made it out of there but I wondered how many folks didn't make it because it's not quite the fastest emergency vehicle in the world. Sure is cool though!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: