Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I've still got a few things that I've not completed on the DC, maybe I'll get to them this Spring? I'm closing in on deciding when I might "retire" from my 43 years of employment with both TWA and now American Airlines as a flight attendant. Then I will have lots more time to putz around the garage to mess with everything (or mess-up everything).

I need to crawl underneath this old DC and finish up the install and sewing up of the Neil Pickett produced heater tube insulation kit. The heater system is tight and blows nice hot air "as-is" currently, so I imagine that it will be even warmer once the insulation kit is finally fully installed.

My current 6 volt starter is not turning the engine over fast enough to dependably start the engine, so I'm gonna crawl under there once things warm up a little more and swap out a few starters until one of them does the job more dependably. Thank (insert your favorite Deity here) that I can insert the one-year-only longer 1959 crank start handle and usually get her fired up. Gotta get that done...

I have just barely acceptable (on the low side) fuel delivery pressure and so I have taken a spare 36 hp fuel pump Bakelite block and carefully removed a millimeter or so of material to help improve fuel pressure. Once I get that modified block installed I'll test fuel delivery again and tweek it to perfection with gaskets if needed. Right now, climbing up a grade with the gas pedal pushed most of the way down, I start to eventually get a little "bucking" from the motor and I imagine that the fuel in the carburetor bowl isn't getting refilled fast enough. The bucking immediately stops if I ease off the pedal (demand for fuel). We'll see if that altered intermediate Bakelite block will help matters.

I need to re-adjust the brakes and clutch adjustments as things have clearly settled in after 2,000 miles since the restoration.

There are probably a few other small items, but she is pretty much finished otherwise. Anyway, thanks for the kudos!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

There are probably a few other small items, but she is pretty much finished otherwise. Anyway, thanks for the kudos!

Bill Bowman

Is this the one with the turn indicator light thingy glitch?

BulliBill wrote:
The recent "beginning of Spring" rains have washed the Winter salt off the roadways around here, so after not having the DC out on the road for several months, it was time to use the crank-start handle to fire her up and take the DC out for a nice early Spring cruise. As it happens, during the drive the odometer on the "Trip" speedometer turned over to 2,000 miles since the restoration. ...It was nice to pull her out of storage in our seven car garage, fill the tank with fresh new fuel, and then drive her around again. It was hard not to have a shit-eating smile on my face the whole time!

Bill

Some things are just sickening to look at like taking the Hurst Castle tour.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:

I have just barely acceptable (on the low side) fuel delivery pressure and so I have taken a spare 36 hp fuel pump Bakelite block and carefully removed a millimeter or so of material to help improve fuel pressure. Once I get that modified block installed I'll test fuel delivery again and tweek it to perfection with gaskets if needed. Right now, climbing up a grade with the gas pedal pushed most of the way down, I start to eventually get a little "bucking" from the motor and I imagine that the fuel in the carburetor bowl isn't getting refilled fast enough. The bucking immediately stops if I ease off the pedal (demand for fuel). We'll see if that altered intermediate Bakelite block will help matters.

Bill, I'd just rebuild the fuel pump. I know you have an extensive NOS parts stash? Do you have the fuel pump rebuild kit? The WW kit is pretty good as well.

I'd make sure you measure the fuel pump push rod too. I sell lots of restored pumps and remind folks to measure their push rods. Many report back that their pushrods have been shortened by previous owners and thank me for reminding them of that.

Also, while VW recommends shimming pumps up to reduce fuel pressure, it also reduces fuel volume as well. The main diaphragm spring is what controls the fuel pressure. If your pump isn't producing enough volume or pressure, it's a sign that your main diaphragm is getting weak or stretched. My belief is when a fuel pump starts demonstrating these symptoms, it's time to tear it apart and rebuild it. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

We had a local VW only show in town last Saturday and I couldn't get the DC started to move it out of the way to take my intended old VW, my original paint 1955 Deluxe Sunroof Beetle to the show. In a hurry, I simply switched gears and hopped into my '67 Westfalia with is no slouch either and we enjoyed the show.

But today, on first "hand-crank" attempt, the '59 DC started right up, so hell! I took her out for a spin on the nearby freeway crossing over the swollen and flooding Missouri River just west of St. Louis, MO.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then on the way home we made a quick stop in a local park for a shot or two. It was an overcast day, so her paint job couldn't really show off like it might on a bright, sunny day.

An uneventful and fun time together... I have GOT to start swapping in a few of the other used 6 volt starters I have lying about here until I find one that spins quicker...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue May 07, 2019 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Brother Bill that is a beauty
Me so envious.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

You're retired now, drop by anytime and we'll go for a nice, long drive! Enjoy retirement! I'm coming up on it pretty quick too! Then I'll start the full resto on my '57 Kabriolett...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

How are you surviving the flood? Here's hoping you are on higher ground.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for thinking of us here in the St. Charles/St. Louis region. The area took quite a hit in terms of storm after storm after storm, all lined up in a row rolling right over our region last night and dropping about 11 inches of rain in less than 7 or 8 hours overnight. The deluge of rain broke all previous records for rainfall in a day, the previous record being a hair over 7 inches. Lots of low-lying spots, underpasses, and depressions in the earth got completely flooded, and a lot of people really got caught by surprise with basement flooding and cars underwater and even one death. We are so grateful to live on relatively high ground, and that all around our home has great drainage and although I witnessed an awful lot of water coming down at a nice even pace, it seemed to drain away and we thankfully have suffered no issues. My Double Cab as well as six other vintage Volkswagens were tucked away inside my basement drive-out seven car garage, and thankfully everything is hunky-dory at the "BilliBill" compound. Thanks again for thinking of us and inquiring, I'm delighted to report that personally we are doing just fine.

We have an all Volkswagen show, one of the few we get in a year happening this Saturday and the weather forecast is looking fine so regional VW folks are getting excited and ready to attend.

I haven't had the Double Cab out in quite a while as it is buried behind another vehicle in the garage. I really need to spend some time doing a few little things to it and get it out running around again. Again, thanks for your concerns!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Glad you are OK. That is lots of rain.

Since you bring it up can we see what a 7 car, underground garage looks like please? Smile

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 Cardboard glove box
64 bug nice used front/rear Black RHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

It's a sweet garage... you would never know it was there from the street. I was supposed be in STL in 2 weeks but the meeting just got cancelled due to covid levels in the area. US Military rule... not mine.
I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

ezcamper wrote:
It's a sweet garage... you would never know it was there from the street. I was supposed be in STL in 2 weeks but the meeting just got cancelled due to covid levels in the area. US Military rule... not mine.

Hey, next time you successfully get into town come on by again for another garage visit! I want to say that there is plenty of room in the garage, but I've got it packed with old VWs and parts. Still, there is just enough room to enjoy cold beers among Vintage VW metal...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: "BulliBill's" 1959 Double-Cab restoration... Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,

I don't have many photos that are good enough to nicely show how our walk-out basement/drive-out seven car garage is. The garage takes up about 1/2 of the lower basement level. The garage is about 30'wide and about 40' deep. A view from the backyard, a double and a single door wide and 40'deep.

eight foot wide workbench way back inside the garage.

installing back-lighted 8' 4" outer diameter dealership "Lollipop" sign to the garage ceiling.

the seventh car, a future 1957 Oval Kabriolett project, stored sideways under a parts shelf...

That'll probably give you an idea of how our seven-car garage looks. A lotta old engines and transaxles stored on shelves, under the workbench and even in the aisles. During either hot Summer or chilly Winter weather, with the garage door kept closed and being mostly underground, it stays pretty temperate in there year round...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45
Jump to:
Page 45 of 45

Jump to: