Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUSS914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Are you kidding me! This is the best build thread ever. Great work documenting and sharing the build!

Russ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Wow, I've spent the past two hours reading all 75 pages of the restoration. I saw your videos a few months ago and only stumbled upon the thread/TheSamba recently.

That bus is going to look like a piece of art once the gates are finished, however I like the contrast between pristine and used that the old gates and the restored body of the truck look like.

You've seriously got me idolising the idea of getting a VW, hopefully soon! (and hopefully I can do it up to 20% of your restoration). Smile
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: "Canada to Mexico Cruise" Reply with quote

"Funky Truck" joins "Canada to Mexico Cruise" for one day. Santa Rossa to Pacific Grove.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
We create our own traffic jams in Santa Rosa following the blue hightop.

Lining up on the Great Highway in San Francisco.

Police closed off the streets in Pacific Grove for VWs only.

This was a lot of fun. VWs would join us for a while then peel off. People were staged at strategic locations along the way to video the procession. We got waves and beeping horns from surprised onlookers. I plan to join for more of the trip next year.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Kurt, is this Canada to Mexico cruise an annual thing? Is there a website for it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Kurt, is this Canada to Mexico cruise an annual thing? Is there a website for it?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/shows/

http://airheadkgpr.com/treffen/itinerary.html

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
paliothodoros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

hello from greece.very good job well done... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sambaboi75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

i wish i would have known about that cruise and this post. would have been neat to meet the Funky Bus in person!!
paliothodoros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

sambaboi75 wrote:
i wish i would have known about that cruise and this post. would have been neat to meet the Funky Bus in person!!

I wish you through my heart to come to Greece. I live in the Corinthian Saints Theodoros if you see on google map ... I also have a T2 and I try to bring it home .. Why is it now in my village. In Greece, it is difficult to do the last few years for such constructions because I do not know about sheet metal work. But when I look at your effort, I get the strength and the curd. we are a host country .... well, let's come and see you shortly .... I ask you for sorry but my english is not very good ... we will find a way to talk if we meet well. good evening
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Kurt, sounds like you need to hop on a plane to visit your new Greek buddy for some Ouzo, a little metal work, and a nice Greek vacation!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paliothodoros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Kurt, sounds like you need to hop on a plane to visit your new Greek buddy for some Ouzo, a little metal work, and a nice Greek vacation!

Bill

Men's drink tsipouro without aniseed 100000%. Or critical tsikoudia or raki.
Μuch better than ouzo. Laughing Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy
doubledoor64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

I was able to check this amazing bus out in person. Here is a pic of it and 2 other trucks (mine is the low one) from El Prado.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Gate Repair Reply with quote

If I show my face at another show without gates my name will be Mud. It has been two years since Funky first rolled out into the daylight in time for his first show at Kelley Park. The gates were not finished in time so he went without. He got second place anyway to my surprise. Apparently a flatbed is a completed configuration. There are four weekends remaining to get them done in time for Kelley Park this year.

I spent my first day catching up on TheSamba reading. Procrastinating...
I spent my second day cleaning and organizing the garage. Procrastinating...
I spent my third day examining and measuring the parts I had. Scratching my head trying to figure out what needs to be done. Procrastinating...

I found all the pieces that have been scattered for two years around the garage including all of the Klassicfab upper and lower replacement rails. NOS Klssicfab!

Trying to find where I left off. When the decision was made to drop the drop gates in time for the show I dropped everything at a random stage.

On the fourth day I started pulling dents out with a stud gun and a puller. Hammer the high spots while pulling the low. I was able to save the side pieces of the tail gate without having to remove them. This created a problem of how to get the bottom rail installed underneath.

Sliding in one way and then back to center worked without hinges installed. I attached the hinges with machine screws temporarily, left them loose while installing the rail. I tacked a steel bar to the rail to drive the rail in. Then reinstalled the hinges with the temporary screws ready for plug welding. Note the hinge is just hanging loose in the slot.

With the hinges mounted I crimped the fold while keeping the flange seated with a wood clamp. I scribed a guideline in the paint before assembling to make sure the flange was straight and bottomed.

I ground notches in the fold for plug welding in a spot that would be easy to grind smooth.

Cutting small pieces to replace missing metal.

Screws removed, holes plugged. I did one session of shrinking disk on the rear gate before the rails get welded in then I will do another after.

By posting this I realize I am now on the hook to get done in time. You can help me stay on track.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639

Last edited by glideking on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gate Repair Reply with quote

nice to see Funky back on the first page!

I'll send you my gates when you are done with yours! Laughing

glideking wrote:

If I show my face at another show without gates my name will be Mud. It has been two years since Funky first rolled out into the daylight in time for his first show at Kelley Park. The gates were not finished in time so he went without. He got second place anyway to my surprise. Apparently a flatbed is a completed configuration. I have four weekends to get them done for this year.

I spent my first day catching up on TheSamba reading. Procrastinating...
I spent my second day cleaning and organizing the garage. Procrastinating...
I spent my third day examining and measuring the parts I had. Scratching my head trying to figure out what needs to be done. Procrastinating...

I found all the pieces that have been scattered for two years around the garage including all of the Klassicfab upper and lower replacement rails. NOS Klssicfab!

Trying to find where I left off. When the decision was made to drop the drop gates in time for the show I dropped everything at a random stage.

On the fourth day I started pulling dents out with a stud gun and a puller. Hammer the high spots while pulling the low. I was able to save the side pieces of the tail gate without having to remove them. This created a problem of how to get the bottom rail installed underneath.

Sliding in one way and then back to center worked without hinges installed. I attached the hinges with machine screws temporarily, left them loose while installing the rail. I tacked a steel bar to the rail to drive the rail in. Then reinstalled the hinges with the temporary screws ready for plug welding. Note the hinge is just hanging loose in the slot.

With the hinges mounted I crimped the fold while keeping the flange seated with a wood clamp. I scribed a guideline in the paint before assembling to make sure the flange was straight and bottomed.

I ground notches in the fold for plug welding in a spot that would be easy to grind smooth.

Cutting small pieces to replace missing metal.

Screws removed, holes plugged. I did one session of shrinking disk on the rear gate before the rails get welded in then I will do another after.

By posting this I realize I am now on the hook to get done in time. You can help me stay on track.
Kurt
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gate Repair Reply with quote

I'll send you my gates when you are done with yours! Laughing

glideking wrote:

Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Gate Repair Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
X2!

Being confident that the gates will come out perfect, the REAL question becomes what sort of video wizardry you will come up with to show the process.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Those gates look like a huge PITA and they always seem to have lived such a hard life that it is a treat to see them redone so they look good on both the inside and out.

I believe in you, though, and am sure you will do them up right!
Bills85Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

I've been waiting to see these gates get some attention!

I know exactly how that is to build momentum on a project.....so hard to start, but once you've started, it will be hard to stop.
Engine Conversion Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612144&highlight=
85 Doka L345 Grey - 1.9L
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

So happy to see Funky back on the first page! Hopefully the deadline won't keep you from making your awesome videos, so we can all enjoy the project.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

KURT! So nice to see you back on Funky again! It was great to meet you at OCTO and see Funky in person.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the gates and then the final product. Funky wearing her new gates!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Saul Koll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Oh Joy!
It's so great to see the Funky gates. Looking good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Page 75 of 81

Jump to: