Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacmanfever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

The video is like a master class on patience & persistence.

Absolutely love it.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
I had been thinking about how I was going to shape the curves for years. My first few attempts made a mess out of things. Hand sanding was the worst. It is a relief to finally see how I ended up doing it. A cut off furniture leg with a chamfer and sandpaper glued on. After the sandpaper is on I sand off the bottom smooth so it becomes a "safe" non sanding surface. Give a few spins in each corner. That marks the end of any more shaping work.

This is the coat of epoxy that defines the barrier between shaping work and smoothing work. From this point forward I should not attempt to change shape but only to smooth out the surface with fine sandpaper and fine primers. The wet reflection shows I am almost there. Next will be two coats of High build urethane then the sanding starts all over again. This is how I think about it. Welding, hammer and grinding. Coarse fillers with coarse sandpaper. Fine fillers with fine sandpaper. I had planned on hanging all three gates from the ceiling one above the other but overspray would be falling on the bottom one. I have limited space so decided last minute to lay them flat. Now to flip them over without touching any part that shows. Notice the blocks of wood holding the hinges onto a 2x4 with drywall screws. I can do one side then flip them over before dust or bugs get on them. I am painting in the same area as the sand blasting and sanding happened. It will never be clean enough. You will see the flipping when I add that to the video.

Drilled and tapped steel bars for handles and a 2x4 leg support. Flipping gates.

Rear gate was done with a bolt in the latch nut.

Here are two coats of high build urethane. I am out of time.

There are 0 days left before the weekend of shows begins. With heat lamps keeping the garage at 75 degrees the primer will be dry enough to put on the truck in the morning and go anyway. I won't be the first VW at a show in primer. You can assess my work at Red Barn alternate location tomorrow night. This has been a major push and stuff got done. My hands are sore and I have no fingerprints.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Hats off to you, those gates look great! (And the rest of the truck too...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Link

In the age of instant publishing I present "The Gate Flipper".
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

I am absolutely fascinated by the attention you are giving to all these small details.
Looking forward, seeing the red gates on Funky.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

If you had just started a week earlier... Haha

They look amazing. Love the detail. The flat panels must have been an absolute pain.

One show with primered gates wont make a difference once you get them painted and installed on Funky.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

glideking wrote:

Link

In the age of instant publishing I present "The Gate Flipper".
Very Happy
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
The worst part of getting Schultz's gates ready for paint was the sanding. Once the metal portion is repaired, plan for a boatload of time just sanding around those pressings by hand.

Have fun!

You are doing a stellar job on a very time consuming part of the project. It's these details on DC and SC that make professional restorations so expensive if they are done right.

And boy are you doing things right!

Have a great time at KP and RB. We'll miss seeing you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

zehbeh wrote:
I am absolutely fascinated by the attention you are giving to all these small details.
Looking forward, seeing the red gates on Funky.

Kurt is just showing off! This has been my favorite thread of all time on The Samba. No one has been in Kurt's league for attention to detail or
excellent photo/video documentation.

He should of been an engineer.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Quote:
No one has been in Kurt's league for attention to detail or

Excellent work, I agree. But as to no one does it better, has not watched the KCW site. They have been cranking out superb quality restorations since 2001. From custom to stock, no one does it better!
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Well done sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

This lineup is all trucks.

Did not get the gates finished on time for this show so we wore the primer like a badge of dishonor and went anyway. 2nd place happiness!
Kurt
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

He arrived on TheSamba, said what he was going to do, did what he said he was going to do, left more knowledge for others than a Nobel Prize, turned straw into gold, yaaawwwwn ...who ever remembers second place...yeah, hang your head.

Btw, how's the fingers?
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Very Happy
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Red or gray, doesn't matter...those are some seriously straight gates!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Z wrote:
Red or gray, doesn't matter...those are some seriously straight gates!

you don't know that, could be diverse gates Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

plane_ben wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Quote:

Excellent work, I agree. But as to no one does it better, has not watched the KCW site. They have been cranking out superb quality restorations since 2001. From custom to stock, no one does it better!

Totally agree. My '59 VW truck was a KCW ground up, bare metal resto and they did superb work. It was done pretty much stock and original (except for a later 1600 engine and big nut tranny).
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:
plane_ben wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Quote:

Totally agree. My '59 VW truck was a KCW ground up, bare metal resto and they did superb work. It was done pretty much stock and original (except for a later 1600 engine and big nut tranny).

We're not comparing apples to apples guys. Wink I'm saying that Kurt (who is not a professional VW restorer) has done an amazing job out of his home shop. He's not a professional body man nor an automobile painter.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Quote:
KombiMadness wrote:
plane_ben wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Quote:

We're not comparing apples to apples guys. I'm saying that Kurt (who is not a professional VW restorer) has done an amazing job out of his home shop. He's not a professional body man nor an automobile painter.

I probably should have been more clear in my comment. I was not really comparing the work quality, but the documentation aspect. KCW does excellent documentation on all their builds. To bad the old site crashed and they lost all the build threads. New site was able to recover the old gallery though.

Kurt's work is the best I've seen. His approach to every aspect of his restoration is thought out, and works. Like his little table leg sanding tool.
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Vintage Speed muffler installed Reply with quote

Funky was getting louder every day but I must have gotten used to it until it got really loud the other day. The novelty of having a 100% original Gene Berg kit engine has worn off. The GBE header lasted only two years and has fallen off so I replaced it with Vintage Speed stainless steel. I ground the stainless flanges a bit to get it to clear both the bumper and apron without modification to stock VW parts. I used CSP smaller stainless heat tubes to the boxes as the larger GBE tubes did not clear the VS. The sound is a much deeper growl at idle. I will check the sound driving at speed on my way to work tomorrow.
Kurt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Page 79 of 81

Jump to: