Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed muffler installed Reply with quote

glideking wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...I replaced it with Vintage Speed stainless steel...The sound is a much deeper growl at idle. I will check the sound driving at speed on my way to work tomorrow.
Kurt

You're gonna like the way look...and sound, Kurt. Not one regret since I switched to the VS exhaust last year. But, what about those gates!? C'mon, Kurt, Bugorama's around the corner!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Gordont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Wow great read thanks Kurt
I’ve been reading through your thread specifically around the colour, can you tell me the base colour you used under the SWR please as trying to get my colour close to yours which looks pretty great

Cheers
63 SC Ute - the work truck
68 Country Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

I used a black sealcoat. Same as VW did originally on my truck. As you know red must have a transparent base so it is very sensitive to the color below.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gordont
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

thanks Kurt, really appreciate that. Im sure you know how hard the SWR is to get right...
Question on your colour formula, the pic shows 2 formulas - is it the 3rd one on the pic you ended up with? as below

63 SC Ute - the work truck
68 Country Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Just spent several hours a day for the last few days reading every word and watching every video (again)..

How did this end up?

Last we heard, the hero was about to paint some gates..?

What’s That Noise?!?
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Funky Truck turns 60 years old today Reply with quote

Still hard at work every day. He was 30 years old when I got him 30 years ago and he doesn't look a day older!
Kurt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Kurt!

This is still my favorite all time restoration thread. Bummer you're not around as much finishing off those gates and putting closure to this thread!

Maybe one day you'll get to the 21 window in the back of your shop with a new thread. Pray

Really enjoyed meeting you at OCTO Kurt and seeing Funky in person. Such a great single cab!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Funky Truck turns 60 years old today Reply with quote

glideking wrote:

Still hard at work every day. He was 30 years old when I got him 30 years ago and he doesn't look a day older!
Kurt

Re: Funky Truck turns 60 years old today

Happy Birthday to Funky! For a present I bet it would love to have its gates painted. Wink
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Funky Truck turns 60 years old today Reply with quote

glideking wrote:

Hmm, about 80' of PVC pipe and 1,440 lbs of sand. That looks like a pretty big project.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Funky Truck turns 60 years old today Reply with quote

glideking wrote:

Kurt

Kurt, she's looking good [and] working hard (as these old trucks should). My '59 SC turned 60 in April...we didn't celebrate like you haha; I think I was replacing the lower rear corner that day...take care, and enjoy it!

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Would love to hear an update on T-wreck too.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Just had to leave a reply here... I just found this thread, and I'm currently on page 10. Love your videos and your work!
But I really have to go and do some welding on my 64 double cab... will return later to finish your thread Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Viking Funeral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Just had to leave a reply here... I just found this thread, and I'm currently on page 10. Love your videos and your work!
But I really have to go and do some welding on my 64 double cab... will return later to finish your thread Smile

Congratulations Elliot !! You joined The Samba on March 7, 2002 and today you made your very first post. 6447 days has got to be the new Samba record.

From and including: Thursday, March 7, 2002
To and including: Wednesday, October 30, 2019
Result: 6447 days
It is 6447 days from the start date to the end date, end date included.
Or 17 years, 7 months, 24 days including the end date.
Or 211 months, 24 days including the end date.
Alternative time units
6447 days can be converted to one of these units:
557,020,800 seconds
9,283,680 minutes
154,728 hours
6447 days
921 weeks
1766.30% of a common year (365 days)
Applause
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

I am moved that you came out of hibernation to post here for the first time. People ask when Funky Truck will be finished. I drive it every day I think it is finished. T Wrecks gets welded on whenever the mood strikes.
Kurt
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

You picked a good read Elliott. Welcome to "posting" on the samba.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

I'm late to the party but thanks Kurt for a truly inspirational thread. It has got me off my backside and working on my bus.

Quick question please: Do you think the rotisserie would work with 98" rings?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

glideking wrote:
People ask when Funky Truck will be finished. I drive it every day I think it is finished.
Kurt

I think we're all just rooting for painted gates, and an awesome closing video to go with them.

Picture Funky, perched high on a SF Bay overlook, adorned in fresh, glass pane-flat SWR gates....360* walk around video, overhead shot with drone as it pulls away.... Pray Very Happy
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumber-baron wrote:
Spent the last hour loooking at this thread, great stuff! Very Happy
As for the hump seat they were used only in 62 in busses, not sure if that's true for trucks as well. Those metal seatback suppots that are attached to the bulkhead/seat pedestal weren't used in a hump seat bus. Your seat bottom looks to be a humpseat as those curved pieces of tubing that are protruding from the back are what would support the bottom of the seatback. Also humpseats had 3 position brackets for adjustment, perhaps a PO may have changed the seat at some point and hacked up those brackets. Here's a pic of my 62 front seat:

I know this is 6 years late, but humpbacks and the 3 position brackets were '61/'62.
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
lumber-baron wrote:
Spent the last hour loooking at this thread, great stuff! Very Happy
As for the hump seat they were used only in 62 in busses, not sure if that's true for trucks as well. Those metal seatback suppots that are attached to the bulkhead/seat pedestal weren't used in a hump seat bus. Your seat bottom looks to be a humpseat as those curved pieces of tubing that are protruding from the back are what would support the bottom of the seatback. Also humpseats had 3 position brackets for adjustment, perhaps a PO may have changed the seat at some point and hacked up those brackets. Here's a pic of my 62 front seat:

I know this is 6 years late, but humpbacks and the 3 position brackets were '61/'62.

I’ve been wondering if anyone was ever going to catch that. Embarassed
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Single Cab Restoration Thread "Funky Truck" Reply with quote

Any updates on the vintage speed? How’s it holding up? How do you like it? You’ve got heater boxes right?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 79, 80, 81  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 81

Jump to: