Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How small does a Bus Depot Add-A-Room pack?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: How small does a Bus Depot Add-A-Room pack? Reply with quote

I know the simple answer is just to buy one but I'm trying to complete our pre-trip packing plan before plunking down the 400.00

So if you have one, what are the dimensions of the add a room when stored?

How many bags does it come in?

Where do you stow it while in motion?

We're getting ready to go to disney in my tin top and it'd be nice to have the extra space this time when we set up.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
syncroluvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and store it in the thule roof storage box, 1 big bag and a longer thin one. We only bring it when we plan to stay in one spot for a few days.

Y2K V6 Passat

Calcandi Leviter
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This big.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stored in a Yakima Skybox. It was nice to have in the RV Village next to Disneyland, especially with teenagers. We borrowed this for the trip but if I were to buy, I would go with the BD Ez-Awning with additional sidewalls. I have not seen how small it packs, but it's got to be less weight.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
This big.

Stored in a Yakima Skybox. It was nice to have in the RV Village next to Disneyland, especially with teenagers. We borrowed this for the trip but if I were to buy, I would go with the BD Ez-Awning with additional sidewalls. I have not seen how small it packs, but it's got to be less weight.

Thanks guys! The pics and description help alot. I've seen these in action at shows and get togethers but never really thought about space concerns. Looks like I need some roof top storage as I intend to use the bed to shift sleep while enroute to disney.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
OhChit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of my friends have the DB Add-a-Room. Trust me when I say that, There heavy and not something that one person can easily lift on top of a poptop camper without assistance.

I have the extended Awning with the three sides. It's nice and packs small enough to fit under the bench seat, only problem is it's more of a screen room with flaps that cover over the screen windows, but it's only 3 sided with nothing that covers the vans underside or not an option that I know of? But it serves kind of a double use. Awing and or Screen Room. It is very large once setup great for extended space, but no floor like the add a room.

The nice thing about the Add-a-Room is you can setup and drive away with the add-a-room staking you campsite.. Also it's more private and all sides are covered.

BD also now sells a Hatch Cover, kind of a small Add-a-Room which I also have and it's great for expanded space and easily stores in one of your cabinets..

Options, Options, Options Shocked
Good Luck
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
I would go with the BD Ez-Awning with additional sidewalls. I have not seen how small it packs, but it's got to be less weight.

Go with the EZ Awning and side walls!!

Here's the Awning

Here's all side walls XL Awning size

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhChit wrote:
Several of my friends have the DB Add-a-Room. Trust me when I say that, There heavy and not something that one person can easily lift on top of a poptop camper without assistance.

I have the extended Awning with the three sides. It's nice and packs small enough to fit under the bench seat, only problem is it's more of a screen room with flaps that cover over the screen windows, but it's only 3 sided with nothing that covers the vans underside or not an option that I know of? But it serves kind of a double use. Awing and or Screen Room. It is very large once setup great for extended space, but no floor like the add a room.

The nice thing about the Add-a-Room is you can setup and drive away with the add-a-room staking you campsite.. Also it's more private and all sides are covered.

BD also now sells a Hatch Cover, kind of a small Add-a-Room which I also have and it's great for expanded space and easily stores in one of your cabinets..

Options, Options, Options Shocked
Good Luck

I have the hatch add a room and have been really happy with that. I liked the full size add a room because it was a stand alone and the quality looked pretty high.

I haven't considered anything else since I wanted something to match my hatch shelter. The ability to drive away is pretty high on the needs list too. Wieght isn't too much a factor as long as I find some place to absorb its volume.

I like carat camping, my family is just a little big for that. This tent will evict the kids outside the bus where they belong so i can finaly get some sleep. My bay is a poptop and I don't think I'll do that again on purpose. Every time one of the kids move around the bus would rock and wake me up. Kinda like crappy apartment living with horrible upstairs neighbors.

madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroluvr wrote:
I have one and store it in the thule roof storage box, 1 big bag and a longer thin one. We only bring it when we plan to stay in one spot for a few days.

X2

In Yakima roof box

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: