Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 MPH on I-4 when the Engine just quit. 170.00 tow bill.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: 70 MPH on I-4 when the Engine just quit. 170.00 tow bill. Reply with quote

Tuesday night driving the DOKA home at night purring like a kitten and it just quit. Luckily the section of Interstate was at an overpass by the State Fair pretty well lit and safe. Cranked, but no start, and no spark. Too much trouble to fix at night so I called the wrecker. Did the Step By step testing in the Pro Training Guide and narrowed it down to Hall unit or coil or ECU. Well turned out to be the HALL unit. The fiber washer under the distributor shaft at the hall unit exploded and cut the daylights out of the wires in the unit. Good news I had a spare HALL unit, and borrowed a Coil From Steve Clayton. Doka Runs better than ever actually now. I wonder how long that fiber washer was spinning around in there hitting wires? Anyway, just feel like a huge weight is lifted off my shoulders since my repair was pretty easy. I notice that when my Doka breaks down, I ponder selling it, or buying a new car, and then when I get it running and drive down the road it is a keeper for life. Thanks for listening.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: I-4 Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Good work figuring it out. Need to get a spare hall sender for my I-4 that's one part I don't have! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: